Microcell/Fido eventually going away?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 13, 2005 7:10:08 PM

I haven't kept up on what's happening in eastern Canada, but wondered
if eventually the Fido or Microcell operator identification will go
away to be replaced by either Rogers or Can 72(0)?
April 14, 2005 8:52:33 AM

Joseph wrote:

> I haven't kept up on what's happening in eastern Canada, but wondered
> if eventually the Fido or Microcell operator identification will go
> away to be replaced by either Rogers or Can 72(0)?

Last Microcell tower slated to shutdown or switch to Rogers in October.
I think Montreal or Toronto are to be last. They are doing the
easier/smaller cities first.
April 22, 2005 8:29:23 AM

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message

> Last Microcell tower slated to shutdown or switch to Rogers in October.
> I think Montreal or Toronto are to be last. They are doing the
> easier/smaller cities first.

So Vancouver is also on the list?
April 22, 2005 7:44:24 PM

Pavel wrote:
> So Vancouver is also on the list?

Every Microcell tower across canada is slated to eithert be shutdown or
integrated into CAN 072 (Rogers) by October.

It would be interesting to have some sort of weekly update from Fido
about its progressive dismemberement.

My siemens M55 will become useless in a few months since the logo image
I have will disapear and I'll be forced to see "ROGERS" *and*
www.fido.ca on my handset, two phrases I despise.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:45:39 AM

So, are you going with Virgin?

I want to, but I don't want to buy one of their phones, especially since
I have the best CDMA phone ever made (in my opinion), the Motorola
digital startac, from when I had BM service.

JF Mezei wrote:
> Pavel wrote:
>
>>So Vancouver is also on the list?
>

> Every Microcell tower across canada is slated to eithert be shutdown or
> integrated into CAN 072 (Rogers) by October.
>
> It would be interesting to have some sort of weekly update from Fido
> about its progressive dismemberement.
>
> My siemens M55 will become useless in a few months since the logo image
> I have will disapear and I'll be forced to see "ROGERS" *and*
> www.fido.ca on my handset, two phrases I despise.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:03:26 AM

sbdot wrote:

> So, are you going with Virgin?
>
> I want to, but I don't want to buy one of their phones,

As long as Microcell maintains my package, I am OK. Yeah, they jacked
up the caller-ID and voice mail. Once they screw GPRS, I will
unsubscribe from GPRS, so in the end, their price increase will result
in reduced revenus. (the reverse of what they want). Once GPRS is gone,
then there si no real reason to stick with Fido and the inferior Virgin
offering becomes competitive.

Will have to study the stupid CDMA stuff to find out if one can really
get your own "unlocked" phone and have it work on any CDMA network.

Branson knows that hanset selection is important.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:28:57 AM

Every package has effectively changed with the new rates for call-id and
viocemail that were implemented after the Rogers takeover and the new
additional minute rate of 0.25/min starting May 4.

As for CDMA, you wouldn't need an unlocked phone to use Virgin since
they are using the Bell Mobility network. I have a Bell Mobility phone,
but they refuse to activate it. I actually got around to calling
recently and was given some lame reason about how the software and menus
are different from those Of BM. I personally couldn't care less since
I'd be using my phone for its intended purpose - as a phone. The only
time it would make a difference is if someone were to call in for
customer support. The problem can be easily solved by just advising
customers that call in with problems on phones not bought from Virgin
that their non-Virgin phones are not supported. Anyhow, wait and see...

John Doe wrote:
> sbdot wrote:
>
>>So, are you going with Virgin?
>>
>>I want to, but I don't want to buy one of their phones,
>

> As long as Microcell maintains my package, I am OK. Yeah, they jacked
> up the caller-ID and voice mail. Once they screw GPRS, I will
> unsubscribe from GPRS, so in the end, their price increase will result
> in reduced revenus. (the reverse of what they want). Once GPRS is gone,
> then there si no real reason to stick with Fido and the inferior Virgin
> offering becomes competitive.
>
> Will have to study the stupid CDMA stuff to find out if one can really
> get your own "unlocked" phone and have it work on any CDMA network.
>
> Branson knows that hanset selection is important.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:17:53 AM

sbdot wrote:
> As for CDMA, you wouldn't need an unlocked phone to use Virgin since
> they are using the Bell Mobility network. I have a Bell Mobility phone,
> but they refuse to activate it.

I find this so odd. I agree with you that if the phone is not purchased
through Virgin, Virgin simply needs to advise customer that there is no
support for that phone.

Now, if Virgin uses Bell's network, I find it odd that Bell phones
wouldn't work in the long term since Bell would make sure its own phones
worked fine.

What is possible however is that Virgin wants to disable as many menus
as possible to reduce support costs. (a bit like Fido did to many of its
phones by removing many menu options Fido felt were not necessary (such
as some options to select frequencies to search when looking for a
network on the M55).

And if you bring in your own phone with all options availble, you may be
able to access features that Virgin doesn't want you to access. Somehow
thoughthis doesn't seem like the "adventurous" nature of Rick Branson.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:17:36 PM

Go Go Gadget sbdot <sbdot@mailandnews.com>:
> I want to, but I don't want to buy one of their phones, especially since
> I have the best CDMA phone ever made (in my opinion), the Motorola
> digital startac, from when I had BM service.

Apparently, the timetable for cell number portability in Canada is to be
complete in September.

Too bad there's no other GSM provider in Canada for me to transfer my
unlocked handset to. Though, I don't see that happening since I seem to
have maintained my grandfathered access to FidoPro.

--
Rob.Russell@Canada.Com, Unicorn of Usenet & Bastard of Bandwidth
"If my son wants to be a pimp when he grows up, that's fine with me. I

Rob Russell wrote:
> Too bad there's no other GSM provider in Canada for me to transfer my
> unlocked handset to. Though, I don't see that happening since I seem to
> have maintained my grandfathered access to FidoPro.

However, the day Rogers decides to no longer grandfather your
rates/packages, then you start looking.

The thing is that all Fido customers should expect Rogers to eventually
stop gradfathering those rates, or at least reaise what it can raise (as
it has done for the VM+callerId) so that your monthly bill is no longer
that much cheaper than Roger's own rates.
May 15, 2005 5:31:28 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:03:26 -0400, John Doe <jdoe@doe.org> wrote:

>Will have to study the stupid CDMA stuff to find out if one can really
>get your own "unlocked" phone and have it work on any CDMA network.

It's all dependant on each network's policies whether they'll allow
it. As an example Sprint PCS is the network behind Virgin Mobile in
the US. You cannot use a Sprint PCS handset on VM or vice versa you
cannot use a VM handset on Sprint PCS. It's likely that VM in Canada
will not permit use of other CDMA equipment whether it's Telus
Mobility or Bell Mobility. OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
frequency compatible.
May 16, 2005 2:20:15 AM

"OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
frequency compatible."

That's the one thing that GSM (providers) has over CDMA (providers).

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:03:26 -0400, John Doe <jdoe@doe.org> wrote:
>
> >Will have to study the stupid CDMA stuff to find out if one can really
> >get your own "unlocked" phone and have it work on any CDMA network.
>
> It's all dependant on each network's policies whether they'll allow
> it. As an example Sprint PCS is the network behind Virgin Mobile in
> the US. You cannot use a Sprint PCS handset on VM or vice versa you
> cannot use a VM handset on Sprint PCS. It's likely that VM in Canada
> will not permit use of other CDMA equipment whether it's Telus
> Mobility or Bell Mobility. OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
> compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
> frequency compatible.

May 16, 2005 10:52:46 AM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:20:15 -0400, "Harry Eugene Ly"
<consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*-companies.com> wrote:

>"OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
>compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
>frequency compatible."
>
>That's the one thing that GSM (providers) has over CDMA (providers).

I'd say that is hardly the only thing that GSM has over CDMA. Battery
life and SIM cards are at least two things that beat CDMA handily.
Also GSM has over 1.5 billion subscribers while CDMA has around
200,000! You can step off the plane in Paris or Moscow and you have
phone service (with a compatible phone.) Such is not the case most of
the time with a CDMA phone unless it's one of the new hybrids.

May 16, 2005 4:03:53 PM

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:

> "OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
> compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
> frequency compatible."
>
> That's the one thing that GSM (providers) has over CDMA (providers).

Is it a GSM vs CDMA thing, or just that CDMA networks have chosen to use
software features on their networks to prevent non-network branded
phones from being used by customers of that network ?

Good old analogue phones could switch between A and B networks (landline
vs competition). They could be completely configured. I would assume
that CDMA phone should also be configurable. My guess is that the
networks lock their phone's configuration to prvent them from being used
on another network.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:53:53 AM

>>"OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
>>compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
>>frequency compatible."
>>
>>That's the one thing that GSM (providers) has over CDMA (providers).
>
> I'd say that is hardly the only thing that GSM has over CDMA. Battery
> life and SIM cards are at least two things that beat CDMA handily.
> Also GSM has over 1.5 billion subscribers while CDMA has around
> 200,000! You can step off the plane in Paris or Moscow and you have
> phone service (with a compatible phone.) Such is not the case most of
> the time with a CDMA phone unless it's one of the new hybrids.

CDMA = 200 million..
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:58:43 AM

I believe that it is just the CDMA carriers that restrict the cellphones
that can be activated on their network. That is, Bell Mobility won't allow a
CDMA phone from a competing or another country's CDMA phone to be activated.
With GSM, GSM providers could care less what phone you use as long as the
phone that you're using has the GSM band of the carrier. For example, I was
using a Handspring VisorPhone with Fido and I never let Fido specifically
know what phone I was using on their network (their engineers probably
could figure it out if they really wanted to). Now I'm using a Treo 600 on
Fido's network and Fido could care less that I'm using a Roger's unlocked
Treo 600 on their network as long as I pay my bill on time.

> Harry Eugene Ly wrote:
> >
> > "OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
> > compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
> > frequency compatible."
> >
> > That's the one thing that GSM (providers) has over CDMA (providers).
>
> Is it a GSM vs CDMA thing, or just that CDMA networks have chosen to use
> software features on their networks to prevent non-network branded
> phones from being used by customers of that network ?
>
> Good old analogue phones could switch between A and B networks (landline
> vs competition). They could be completely configured. I would assume
> that CDMA phone should also be configurable. My guess is that the
> networks lock their phone's configuration to prvent them from being used
> on another network.
May 17, 2005 9:06:38 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:53:53 GMT, <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>"OTOH GSM is totally able to use any
>>>compatible unlocked handset on another network as long as it's
>>>frequency compatible."
>>>
>>>That's the one thing that GSM (providers) has over CDMA (providers).
>>
>> I'd say that is hardly the only thing that GSM has over CDMA. Battery
>> life and SIM cards are at least two things that beat CDMA handily.
>> Also GSM has over 1.5 billion subscribers while CDMA has around
>> 200,000! You can step off the plane in Paris or Moscow and you have
>> phone service (with a compatible phone.) Such is not the case most of
>> the time with a CDMA phone unless it's one of the new hybrids.
>
>CDMA = 200 million..

Sorry :(  I left off a bunch of zeros :)