Last week for some random reason my computer decided to get a boot error. I
believe it happened when the computer restarted after an Auto update but I
can't be certain since my daughter has been using the computer lately. I am
running XP SP2 Pro. The error message said "Error Loading Operating System".
I ran a repair install and now Windows will actually load and I can login.
The problem I am facing now is that none of the system functionality seems to
work. It I try to go to Windows Update, nothing happens. If I try to go to
any System Tools like System Restore, I get a message saying I need to
restart my computer, which doesn't fix the problem. Trying to run
AntiSpyware seems to give the same results. I recently ran defrag but the
machine worked for about a week just fine before running into any problems.
It seems virus like to me but since I can't get any virus scan to run, it's
hard to tell.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Last week for some random reason my computer decided to get a
> boot error. I
> believe it happened when the computer restarted after an Auto
> update but I
> can't be certain since my daughter has been using the computer
> lately. I am
> running XP SP2 Pro. The error message said "Error Loading
> Operating System".
> I ran a repair install and now Windows will actually load and
> I can login.
> The problem I am facing now is that none of the system
> functionality seems to
> work. It I try to go to Windows Update, nothing happens. If
> I try to go to
> any System Tools like System Restore, I get a message saying I
> need to
> restart my computer, which doesn't fix the problem. Trying to
> run
> AntiSpyware seems to give the same results. I recently ran
> defrag but the
> machine worked for about a week just fine before running into
> any problems.
> It seems virus like to me but since I can't get any virus scan
> to run, it's
> hard to tell.
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior and how did you fix it?
>
> Thanks.

sounds like a potential virus, yes, perhaps a boot sectore virus.
well, quick fix reinstall windows ensureing the MBR was rewriten (as
is wiht most problems) but, you do mention windows randomness, i agree
windows dose have random built in, as a sort of standared of microsoft
so it seems. I carnt surgest what to do with out more details. so...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Error-Loading-Operating-System-ftopict550676.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1744594