Error Loading Operating System

Last week for some random reason my computer decided to get a boot error. I
believe it happened when the computer restarted after an Auto update but I
can't be certain since my daughter has been using the computer lately. I am
running XP SP2 Pro. The error message said "Error Loading Operating System".
I ran a repair install and now Windows will actually load and I can login.
The problem I am facing now is that none of the system functionality seems to
work. It I try to go to Windows Update, nothing happens. If I try to go to
any System Tools like System Restore, I get a message saying I need to
restart my computer, which doesn't fix the problem. Trying to run
AntiSpyware seems to give the same results. I recently ran defrag but the
machine worked for about a week just fine before running into any problems.
It seems virus like to me but since I can't get any virus scan to run, it's
hard to tell.

Has anyone else seen this behavior and how did you fix it?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about error loading operating system

    "" wrote:
    > Last week for some random reason my computer decided to get a
    > boot error. I
    > believe it happened when the computer restarted after an Auto
    > update but I
    > can't be certain since my daughter has been using the computer
    > lately. I am
    > running XP SP2 Pro. The error message said "Error Loading
    > Operating System".
    > I ran a repair install and now Windows will actually load and
    > I can login.
    > The problem I am facing now is that none of the system
    > functionality seems to
    > work. It I try to go to Windows Update, nothing happens. If
    > I try to go to
    > any System Tools like System Restore, I get a message saying I
    > need to
    > restart my computer, which doesn't fix the problem. Trying to
    > run
    > AntiSpyware seems to give the same results. I recently ran
    > defrag but the
    > machine worked for about a week just fine before running into
    > any problems.
    > It seems virus like to me but since I can't get any virus scan
    > to run, it's
    > hard to tell.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this behavior and how did you fix it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    sounds like a potential virus, yes, perhaps a boot sectore virus.
    well, quick fix reinstall windows ensureing the MBR was rewriten (as
    is wiht most problems) but, you do mention windows randomness, i agree
    windows dose have random built in, as a sort of standared of microsoft
    so it seems. I carnt surgest what to do with out more details. so...

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Error-Loading-Operating-System-ftopict550676.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1744594

Computers Windows XP