joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well.. i just built my new comp.. i have a abit fatil1ty mobo, 2gb of kingston ram, and a pny 6800gt graphics card. And i have dell's 20" widescreen monitor.
Well when i had my old comp hooked up to the monitor through a vga cbale.. everything looked PERFECT.. i never updated no driver.. it was a 3-4 yr old comp.
Now on my new comp.. i have the same videos.. and they look VERY pixelated. i am usin a dvi cable.
I tried updating my graph card. and i have the newest driver. I tried everything i could think of in settings.
Any help would be aprrciated.
Thank you
Joe

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is it set to the native resolution for your display?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i tried different settins.. but right now it is set at 1152x864.. if thats what you were refering to

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by joep on 09/28/05 01:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Flat panels have a resolution, based on the number of pixels wide by the number of pixels high the screen is. This is called their "native resolution". Any "non-native" setting has to be converted by the monitor to a native one, in order to fill the screen. And that conversion means the monitor has to choose which pixel to represent another pixel from the non-native resolution, so you end up with too many pixels in the middle. I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Your monitor, as far as I know, can display either the streteched image or a nonstretched image, in the second case by not filling the screen. For example, you should set your resolution to native (I believe that's 1680x1050 for your monitor), or, you could use 1600x1024 (a more common setting) and set your monitor not to stretch the image (leaving narrow black frame of unused space around the image).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yup....crash is right.

You might have to install the monitor driver that came on the cd with your 2005fpw in order to get the extra native resolution to be available.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

dhlucke

Polypheme
You have to set it to 1680x1050. That is your native resolution.

Update the monitor driver, graphics card driver, restart the computer and try again. Some don't even have to update the monitor driver but I did.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!

So did you do as Crash (edit: and Dh) indicated?

Go into control panel and then go to display and then settings and move the slider to the appropriate resolution. With the latest nV drivers you should see the native resolution, older drivers had difficulty showing them and <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=435692#435692" target="_new">you had to hack them into your system</A>.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 09/28/05 09:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok.. i tried the 1680 display.. it looked THE same.. i have a newer driver then the website for my pny card.. (when i tired installing it . it said i had a newer version). i did not try to update the monitor driver.. but for the reason that i never did when it was hooked up to my old comp and picture was great.and i also had it on the same settin 1152x864(on my old comp). i know its hard to tech somthing over the internet.. but my issue is that the monitor looked better on a 4 yr old comp.. with no new drivers.. then it does on a new comp i built with all new drivers.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Then simply remove the drivers... Remember.. If it aint broke, dont fix it!

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i didnt just add the new drivers and it started workin bad.. i had my old comp.. then bought my new monitor.. i had it hooked up to my old comp(for about 1 month b4 i had all the hardware for my new comp).. picture was GREAT( on a 4 yr old comp).. i built my new comp and of course used the lasest drivers.. well b4 and after i used the drivers. the picture quality looks like poo.. make more sence?

dhlucke

Polypheme
picture looks like poo? LOL

Dude, you know the monitor is good. So the problem is either the graphics card or the drivers. Now you have to figure out which.

dhlucke

Polypheme
This is unbelievable but I just looked up a few 6800GT's and the max resolution they support for flat panel monitors is 1600x1200. PNY was one of them.

Nvidia might have just hosed this guy.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
nV didnt' hose the guy. he hosed himself by buying a card before checking out it's maximum resolution

anyways, you can force non standard resolutions using powerstrip (google it) and clarify things up a great deal.

but if i'm not mistaken, don't most of those Dell large cinemadisplay screens require dual link DVI? he said he moved over to DVI cable instead. maybe thats the problem

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Now on my new comp.. i have the same videos.. and they look VERY pixelated.
Is this only when playing videos? If so, I think you might have a codec-related problem rather than a driver/hardware issue.

What do you mean by 'Pixelated', as exactly as you can describe it?

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
by pixelated i mean. i can see like every block.. but use i thought it might be a codec problem too.. but i have tried gettin the newest from microsoft.. but i know there is other places to get them from too.. no i am not a computer guru.. nor try to be.. so i'm sure i over looked many things. but thanks for the help so far

Whoa, Whoa, his display is 16x10, so below the 16x12 limit.

It's a TMDS limitation for most cards, and it will support higher resolution at reduced blanking.

Check the limit for the ATi and Matrox card and you will find the same for all but their top cards.

However nVidia is notorious for haiving poor TMDS quality which may hurt image quality when approaching the threshold;

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/index.html" target="_new">http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/index.html</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

by pixelated i mean. i can see like every block..
You mean you can see every pixel in a fixed pixel display, well that's kinda what LCD is, fixed pixel.

The pixel width isn't very small on those displays either (the 20" is almost as many pixels as my laptop 17").

My solution to you.... Move your face further from the screen. :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's a bit above 1600 though.

Is this guy talking only about videos or about everything?

Dunno.

But yeah you're talking about the native 1680x1050, which is the 16:10 format. However that's still less pixels to send info for than 1600x1200. So it's still well within the limits of the single link TMDS (as long as it's not crapping out with long cable lengths like in the THG tests).

I'm not sure if it's global, but it sounds like it.

If it's video, then he might even be stretching the image, while before on the CRT it just automatically resized for the proper resolution. The stretched image would also put alot more strain on the graphics card and CPU.

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://anime.pixel.ee/st_ff/viduo/playstationWar.mpg"></A>
ok my frined sent me that movie.. he said it was clear on his.. mine .. i could coount the box.. it was 40 across and i think 26 down.. thats what i mean by pixelated i guess.. i can see boxes. and the image quality succks

dhlucke

Polypheme
That movie is 320x240

If that's all you're seeing (40x26), then it has nothing to do with your resolution. It's a video/codec issue as far as I can tell.

You still haven't been very clear with what your problem is though. Is it two things? Can you set your desktop resolution to your native resolution of 1680x1050? If you can't then you need to fix that first. After you've solved that I would download vlc media player to see if your movies are playing correctly. The reason I recommend vlc is because you don't really need codecs to get it to work with 99% of the media out there.