Laptop randomly switches off! Help!

a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 1:42:02 PM

Hi all. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. I know virtually
nothing about computers so you're really my only hope before I turn to the
extortionate PC fixing people.

Anyway, I have a Compaq nx9010 laptop. I bought it a year ago (second hand)
and everything seemed to be fine. Then, just after Christmas, it wouldn't
turn on. Well, it turned on OK but didn't make it to the Windows (I had XP)
Start-up screen. It would just crash and lock-up. Anyway, I took my poor
little laptop to the computer hospital and left it there for a couple of
days. They then rang me and said that it had a pirated version of Windows on
which had corrupted itself. Now, I hasten to point out that I didn't know my
Windows was a pirate version and as soon as I found out, I bought a copy of
XP Home Edition, took it to the computer repair shop where they installed it
for me (charging an extra £60 for doing so).

But anyway, since then it's been fine. No problems.

Recently however, since I got back from University, it has started just
shutting itself down. There is no warning, no error messages. It's as if the
power is just cut off. It's not doing it regularly (yet) and there seems to
be no consistant pattern of events that may cause it to crash. The other day
I was watching a DVD when it cut off. Today I was browsing the Internet.

Anyway, I'm worried that when I go back to Uni it's going to cut off right
in the middle of some vital work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Someone here suggested that I might need to reinstall Windows but I've no
idea how to do it and don't want to shell out another £60 to have it
re-installed. Also, if I do reinstall Windows, will my computer still retain
all the files in My Documents?

Thanks for your help,
James.
June 28, 2005 5:38:03 AM

"" wrote:
> Hi all. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. I
> know virtually
> nothing about computers so you're really my only hope before I
> turn to the
> extortionate PC fixing people.
>
> Anyway, I have a Compaq nx9010 laptop. I bought it a year ago
> (second hand)
> and everything seemed to be fine. Then, just after Christmas,
> it wouldn't
> turn on. Well, it turned on OK but didn't make it to the
> Windows (I had XP)
> Start-up screen. It would just crash and lock-up. Anyway, I
> took my poor
> little laptop to the computer hospital and left it there for a
> couple of
> days. They then rang me and said that it had a pirated version
> of Windows on
> which had corrupted itself. Now, I hasten to point out that I
> didn't know my
> Windows was a pirate version and as soon as I found out, I
> bought a copy of
> XP Home Edition, took it to the computer repair shop where
> they installed it
> for me (charging an extra £60 for doing so).
>
> But anyway, since then it's been fine. No problems.
>
> Recently however, since I got back from University, it has
> started just
> shutting itself down. There is no warning, no error messages.
> It's as if the
> power is just cut off. It's not doing it regularly (yet) and
> there seems to
> be no consistant pattern of events that may cause it to crash.
> The other day
> I was watching a DVD when it cut off. Today I was browsing the
> Internet.
>
> Anyway, I'm worried that when I go back to Uni it's going to
> cut off right
> in the middle of some vital work.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might
> be?
>
> Someone here suggested that I might need to reinstall Windows
> but I've no
> idea how to do it and don't want to shell out another £60 to
> have it
> re-installed. Also, if I do reinstall Windows, will my
> computer still retain
> all the files in My Documents?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> James.

Dosnt it like give any indication that it’s about to switch off? liek
a beep, or a flashy light?

you say your new, this means lots of typing for me :( , Well, first of
all you should make sure that windos power mangement is enabled
(windows should have done this automaticly if it detected it’s running
on a mobile device, unless some one switched it off) easy way to check
this is to look in the right hand bottom corner of your screen, there
should be a little icon of a battary or a american style plug (with 2
pins). If there isnt, that means you goan have to tell me so i can
tell you how to turn it on, if it is there , briliant, doble click it
so that amenu will apear, on this menu it should say the battary level
in percantage, if it’s like very low, there is your problem the
battary is running out, althow it should beep or some thing. But if
the percentage is at 100% or at 0% this probably measn the battary is
broken, in such a way that it canot tell the computer it’s true
battary level. But dont think this instantly, if it says 0% you should
leave it pluged in for a houre or so and se if it gose up, if it sasy
100% leave it unpluged for some time and see if the battary runs down.
If the laptop has no other symtoms then the ones that i have descrbed,
it could be hardware failure of a diffrent kind.

Also, is the laptop just shuting down and not coming back on, if it
comes back on when it aparently switches it;s self off, this could
probably mean your getting the blue screen of death (BSOD) and the
laptop is restarting, for some reason, some thing like that usualy is
best solved by reinstalling windows.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Laptop-rand...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1744592
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 11:27:09 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:00:03 -0700, "James Place"
<JamesPlace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can hear the fan whizzing around inside and whenever my laptop is on, the
>fan is going all the time - I pretty much leave my laptop plugged in all day
>(though it is on standby when I'm not actually using it). The outlet which
>blows the hot air out of the laptop does get very hot however and many people
>have commented on how warm my laptop is underneath.
>
>Are the fans easy to replace?

I did not replace mine, I just bought a cooling pad to set it on,
worked great. Most plug into the USB for power but mine also came
with an AC adapter.

--
Ciao,
Falcon