bruno

Hello

When I look with the Explore facility the size of all my directories in C: I
found roughly 8.3 GB, When I look at the used space with Property on C: I
found 26.2 GB or 3 times more ! The remaining free space si 1.5 GB.

I cannot understand why.

I have deleted all the temp files, try to delete the maximum unnecessary
files but I now cannot go much further so I cannot defragment for instance
and I suppose I am going into a wall soon if I do not act quickly.

C: is the local fixed disk of my Dell laptop 8200. NFTS.

The only thing I recall recently is that I have had a paging file missing
but now it seems OK with 1151 MB of total paging file size for all drives (I
have got 2 (C: and E:) with 15GB of free space on E: which I had to buy due
to supposed lack of space on C:

Thank you
--
Bruno

"Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> When I look with the Explore facility the size of all my directories in C:
> found roughly 8.3 GB, When I look at the used space with Property on C: I
> found 26.2 GB or 3 times more ! The remaining free space si 1.5 GB.
>
> I cannot understand why.

Your description isn't very clear describing exactly what you are looking
at. It seems that you are looking at different things though.

> I have deleted all the temp files, try to delete the maximum unnecessary
> files but I now cannot go much further so I cannot defragment for instance
> and I suppose I am going into a wall soon if I do not act quickly.

OK, but you havent said what you are trying to acheive.

> C: is the local fixed disk of my Dell laptop 8200. NFTS.
>
> The only thing I recall recently is that I have had a paging file missing
> but now it seems OK with 1151 MB of total paging file size for all drives
> (I
> have got 2 (C: and E:) with 15GB of free space on E: which I had to buy
> due
> to supposed lack of space on C:

Why not consider uninstalling some programs that are on C:, then
reinstalling them onto E:
Or move your documents, pictures etc to E:?
Or remove programs you don't use much?
Or remove the uninstall files for your XP updates?
Empty your temporary directories (temp and tmp) and left over temp files and
any recovered files (filenames starting with a ~ [tilde]) if you aren't
going to use them?

Or there are utilities that can help to recover space and move programs
around if you don't want to do it manually.

> Thank you
> --
> Bruno

bruno

I would first like to understand why the sum of the size of each directory in
C: taken separetely is 3 times less than the size of the used space on C:

Bruno

--
Bruno

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > When I look with the Explore facility the size of all my directories in C:
> > found roughly 8.3 GB, When I look at the used space with Property on C: I
> > found 26.2 GB or 3 times more ! The remaining free space si 1.5 GB.
> >
> > I cannot understand why.
>
> Your description isn't very clear describing exactly what you are looking
> at. It seems that you are looking at different things though.
>

> > I have deleted all the temp files, try to delete the maximum unnecessary
> > files but I now cannot go much further so I cannot defragment for instance
> > and I suppose I am going into a wall soon if I do not act quickly.
> >

> OK, but you havent said what you are trying to acheive.
>
> > C: is the local fixed disk of my Dell laptop 8200. NFTS.
> >
> > The only thing I recall recently is that I have had a paging file missing
> > but now it seems OK with 1151 MB of total paging file size for all drives
> > (I
> > have got 2 (C: and E:) with 15GB of free space on E: which I had to buy
> > due
> > to supposed lack of space on C:
>
> Why not consider uninstalling some programs that are on C:, then
> reinstalling them onto E:
> Or move your documents, pictures etc to E:?
> Or remove programs you don't use much?
> Or remove the uninstall files for your XP updates?
> Empty your temporary directories (temp and tmp) and left over temp files and
> any recovered files (filenames starting with a ~ [tilde]) if you aren't
> going to use them?
>
> Or there are utilities that can help to recover space and move programs
> around if you don't want to do it manually.
>

> > Thank you
> > --
> > Bruno

Check the size of the folder named "System Volume Information", as this is
most likely where your "missing space" resides. This is the location of the
files needed for "System Restore" processes, restore points, etc.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

>I would first like to understand why the sum of the size of each directory
>in
> C: taken separetely is 3 times less than the size of the used space on C:
>
> Bruno
>
> --
> Bruno
>

> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

>> "Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > When I look with the Explore facility the size of all my directories in
>> > C:
>> > found roughly 8.3 GB, When I look at the used space with Property on C:
>> > found 26.2 GB or 3 times more ! The remaining free space si 1.5 GB.
>> >
>> > I cannot understand why.
>>
>> Your description isn't very clear describing exactly what you are looking
>> at. It seems that you are looking at different things though.
>>

>> > I have deleted all the temp files, try to delete the maximum
>> > unnecessary
>> > files but I now cannot go much further so I cannot defragment for
>> > instance
>> > and I suppose I am going into a wall soon if I do not act quickly.
>> >

>> OK, but you havent said what you are trying to acheive.
>>
>> > C: is the local fixed disk of my Dell laptop 8200. NFTS.
>> >
>> > The only thing I recall recently is that I have had a paging file
>> > missing
>> > but now it seems OK with 1151 MB of total paging file size for all
>> > drives
>> > (I
>> > have got 2 (C: and E:) with 15GB of free space on E: which I had to
>> > buy
>> > due
>> > to supposed lack of space on C:
>>
>> Why not consider uninstalling some programs that are on C:, then
>> reinstalling them onto E:
>> Or move your documents, pictures etc to E:?
>> Or remove programs you don't use much?
>> Or remove the uninstall files for your XP updates?
>> Empty your temporary directories (temp and tmp) and left over temp files
>> and
>> any recovered files (filenames starting with a ~ [tilde]) if you aren't
>> going to use them?
>>
>> Or there are utilities that can help to recover space and move programs
>> around if you don't want to do it manually.
>>

>> > Thank you
>> > --
>> > Bruno

bruno

This seems a good idea but I should be dull as I cannnot see any folder of
that name ...
Sorry
--
Bruno

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> Check the size of the folder named "System Volume Information", as this is
> most likely where your "missing space" resides. This is the location of the
> files needed for "System Restore" processes, restore points, etc.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>
> http://www.google.com
> Google is your "Friend"
>
> "Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would first like to understand why the sum of the size of each directory
> >in
> > C: taken separetely is 3 times less than the size of the used space on C:
> >
> > Bruno
> >
> > --
> > Bruno
> >

> > "Alan Smith" wrote:
> >

> >> "Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Your description isn't very clear describing exactly what you are looking
> >> at. It seems that you are looking at different things though.

> >> OK, but you havent said what you are trying to acheive.

> >> Why not consider uninstalling some programs that are on C:, then
> >> reinstalling them onto E:
> >> Or move your documents, pictures etc to E:?
> >> Or remove programs you don't use much?
> >> Or remove the uninstall files for your XP updates?
> >> Empty your temporary directories (temp and tmp) and left over temp files
> >> and
> >> any recovered files (filenames starting with a ~ [tilde]) if you aren't
> >> going to use them?
> >>
> >> Or there are utilities that can help to recover space and move programs
> >> around if you don't want to do it manually.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hello
>
> When I look with the Explore facility the size of all my
> directories in C: I
> found roughly 8.3 GB, When I look at the used space with
> Property on C: I
> found 26.2 GB or 3 times more ! The remaining free space si
> 1.5 GB.
>
> I cannot understand why.
>
> I have deleted all the temp files, try to delete the maximum
> unnecessary
> files but I now cannot go much further so I cannot defragment
> for instance
> and I suppose I am going into a wall soon if I do not act
> quickly.
>
> C: is the local fixed disk of my Dell laptop 8200. NFTS.
>
> The only thing I recall recently is that I have had a paging
> file missing
> but now it seems OK with 1151 MB of total paging file size for
> all drives (I
> have got 2 (C: and E:) with 15GB of free space on E: which I
> had to buy due
> to supposed lack of space on C:
>
> Thank you
> --
> Bruno

You say you have two pages files, and infact you will have, but i bet
windows is only using one, from past experiance of winows and non rood
drive page files, what usualy happens is it alocats the space for the
pgae file, but then dosnt use it and if you set it to windows manged
page file, the one on your root HD (C) has probably growen in size.
Any way, id surgest that you enable viewing of all files, you can do
this by opening an explorer window (not internet explorer) going to
Tools > Folder Options then selecting the View tab and selecting
"Show hidden files and folders" and unchecking "Hide protected
operating system files" and press ok, this will make it so you can
see every file you have on your HD. Once you have looked at the files
you should probably recheck "Hide protected operating system files"
to avoide any acidents

Another likly place where space is tied up is in system restor, if you
have the HD set to the default 12% alowance and have lots of restor
points, alot of your space has "gone missing" there, use the system
resore tool to delete unnessasery restor points (dont delete them all,
you may need to revert back at some point)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Free-space-main-HD-ftopict550739.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1744589

bruno

There were indeed lots of heavy files in "Volume System Restore" and after
deletion fo the oldest restore points it gave me 15 GB free.

Thank you very much for helping me and the community.

Bye

Bruno - London
--
Bruno

"Sparda" wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > When I look with the Explore facility the size of all my
> > directories in C: I
> > found roughly 8.3 GB, When I look at the used space with
> > Property on C: I
> > found 26.2 GB or 3 times more ! The remaining free space si
> > 1.5 GB.
> >
> > I cannot understand why.
> >
> > I have deleted all the temp files, try to delete the maximum
> > unnecessary
> > files but I now cannot go much further so I cannot defragment
> > for instance
> > and I suppose I am going into a wall soon if I do not act
> > quickly.
> >
> > C: is the local fixed disk of my Dell laptop 8200. NFTS.
> >
> > The only thing I recall recently is that I have had a paging
> > file missing
> > but now it seems OK with 1151 MB of total paging file size for
> > all drives (I
> > have got 2 (C: and E:) with 15GB of free space on E: which I
> > had to buy due
> > to supposed lack of space on C:
> >
> > Thank you
> > --
> > Bruno
>
> You say you have two pages files, and infact you will have, but i bet
> windows is only using one, from past experiance of winows and non rood
> drive page files, what usualy happens is it alocats the space for the
> pgae file, but then dosnt use it and if you set it to windows manged
> page file, the one on your root HD (C) has probably growen in size.
> Any way, id surgest that you enable viewing of all files, you can do
> this by opening an explorer window (not internet explorer) going to
> Tools > Folder Options then selecting the View tab and selecting
> "Show hidden files and folders" and unchecking "Hide protected
> operating system files" and press ok, this will make it so you can
> see every file you have on your HD. Once you have looked at the files
> you should probably recheck "Hide protected operating system files"
> to avoide any acidents
>
> Another likly place where space is tied up is in system restor, if you
> have the HD set to the default 12% alowance and have lots of restor
> points, alot of your space has "gone missing" there, use the system
> resore tool to delete unnessasery restor points (dont delete them all,
> you may need to revert back at some point)

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Free-space-main-HD-ftopict550739.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1744589

try "Tools/Folder Options/View" and set 'Show hidden files and folders'
and then try seeing how much is used and free
Alasdair

--
please note email address requires editing

www.digitalmystic.co.uk

> This seems a good idea but I should be dull as I cannnot see any folder of
> that name ...
> Sorry
> --
> Bruno
>

> "Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:
>
>> Check the size of the folder named "System Volume Information", as this
>> is
>> most likely where your "missing space" resides. This is the location of
>> the
>> files needed for "System Restore" processes, restore points, etc.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
>>
>> http://www.google.com
>> Google is your "Friend"
>>
>> "Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would first like to understand why the sum of the size of each
>> >directory
>> >in
>> > C: taken separetely is 3 times less than the size of the used space on
>> > C:
>> >
>> > Bruno
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bruno

"Bruno" <Bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There were indeed lots of heavy files in "Volume System Restore" and after
>deletion fo the oldest restore points it gave me 15 GB free.
>
>Thank you very much for helping me and the community.
>
>Bye
>
>Bruno - London

Hi Bruno.

You can safely reduce the amount of space that System Restore can use.
Use Control Panel - System - System Restore.

Normally an allocation of 700 to 800 mb maximum for System Restore is
adequate, unless you are regularly installing and uninstalling large
application programs.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--