Video Display Problems on Monitor added for Laptop Usage

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK, I just connected a monitor to my laptop so I could use a bigger
screen....everything is working fine EXCEPT when I decide to play videos.
The actual video shows up on my laptop screen along with audio.....however,
the video does NOT show up on the other monitor; only the sound is
heard....how do I fix this to where the video shows up on both monitors?
--
MLemaire

Byte

How To Configure and Use Multiple Monitors in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307873

UltraMon (dual monitor)
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Michael" wrote:

> OK, I just connected a monitor to my laptop so I could use a bigger
> screen....everything is working fine EXCEPT when I decide to play videos.
> The actual video shows up on my laptop screen along with audio.....however,
> the video does NOT show up on the other monitor; only the sound is
> heard....how do I fix this to where the video shows up on both monitors?
> --
> MLemaire

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This did not help at all....I do not need to drag info from one monitor to
the other....I merely need to be able to view video on both monitors, not
just the laptop monitor.....thanks
--
MLemaire

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:48:01 -0700, Michael wrote:

> This did not help at all....I do not need to drag info from one monitor to
> the other....I merely need to be able to view video on both monitors, not
> just the laptop monitor.....thanks

The point of Byte's URLs is that video on a second monitor can be a
problematic. Not all programs and display drivers are capable of rendering
in that manner. Sometimes there are extra settings in Display Properties
(added by the display driver) that relate to video playback on the
secondary monitor. If your driver has these options, may want to learn more
about using them by checking the help file supplied by the display card
manufacturer.

Articles below show a few examples of the kind of problems one can run
into. There are probably similar articles for various players and display
cards that could be researched.

Video That Uses Indeo3 Codec May Become Inverted When Moved Between Primary and Secondary Display
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810691

Extending Desktop While Playing Video May Cause Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325771

The other recommendation Byte made was for a well known multi-monitor
management program. Ultramon, available at the realtimesoft.com site, is
sometimes successful in circumventing limitations of players, drivers and
hardware. They offer a free trial on their program.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User