Private Wireless Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 1:14:11 PM

Our organization is looking to implement a wireless private network,
some of our links will be quite long and challenging, up to 70 km. We
were hoping for a
minimum of 36 mps bandwidth and have been looking in the 5.8 ghz
range. Is there any equipment you would recommend or avoid for this
application. Is fog or heavy rain a factor. What might we be
overlooking?

thanks.
April 26, 2004 9:26:43 PM

warwiac@sympatico.ca (Tom L) wrote in news:efc7ea37.0404260814.6cf7a9a7
@posting.google.com:

> Our organization is looking to implement a wireless private network,
> some of our links will be quite long and challenging, up to 70 km. We
> were hoping for a
> minimum of 36 mps bandwidth and have been looking in the 5.8 ghz
> range. Is there any equipment you would recommend or avoid for this
> application. Is fog or heavy rain a factor. What might we be
> overlooking?

That 5.8 gHz probably won't propagate 70 km in one hop. Trees, hills,
building's, bridges, interference.

Did you bring in professional's to look at it's feasability ? The terrain
is a major factor, and a propagation study should be done. The gear my
former company used to make was 2.4 gHz and with good line-of-site in a
point-to-point setup the max range was about 25 miles (40 km?), with
super high-gain directional antenna's, everything right up to FCC limits.
And this was only 1.5 mBits.

You can't really get any specific answers until the whole network is
examined.

Regards,

DS

> thanks.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 10:56:52 PM

Wi-Lan provides some very good enterprise-grade long-distance
solutions. Field-proven.

www.wilan.com

Brad

!