Private Wireless Network

Our organization is looking to implement a wireless private network,
some of our links will be quite long and challenging, up to 70 km. We
were hoping for a
minimum of 36 mps bandwidth and have been looking in the 5.8 ghz
range. Is there any equipment you would recommend or avoid for this
application. Is fog or heavy rain a factor. What might we be
overlooking?

thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about private wireless network

    warwiac@sympatico.ca (Tom L) wrote in news:efc7ea37.0404260814.6cf7a9a7
    @posting.google.com:

    > Our organization is looking to implement a wireless private network,
    > some of our links will be quite long and challenging, up to 70 km. We
    > were hoping for a
    > minimum of 36 mps bandwidth and have been looking in the 5.8 ghz
    > range. Is there any equipment you would recommend or avoid for this
    > application. Is fog or heavy rain a factor. What might we be
    > overlooking?

    That 5.8 gHz probably won't propagate 70 km in one hop. Trees, hills,
    building's, bridges, interference.

    Did you bring in professional's to look at it's feasability ? The terrain
    is a major factor, and a propagation study should be done. The gear my
    former company used to make was 2.4 gHz and with good line-of-site in a
    point-to-point setup the max range was about 25 miles (40 km?), with
    super high-gain directional antenna's, everything right up to FCC limits.
    And this was only 1.5 mBits.

    You can't really get any specific answers until the whole network is
    examined.

    Regards,

    DS

    > thanks.

    Wi-Lan provides some very good enterprise-grade long-distance
    solutions. Field-proven.

    www.wilan.com

    Brad

    On 26 Apr 2004 09:14:11 -0700, warwiac@sympatico.ca (Tom L) wrote:

    >Our organization is looking to implement a wireless private network,
    >some of our links will be quite long and challenging, up to 70 km. We
    >were hoping for a
    >minimum of 36 mps bandwidth and have been looking in the 5.8 ghz
    >range. Is there any equipment you would recommend or avoid for this
    >application. Is fog or heavy rain a factor. What might we be
    >overlooking?
    >
    >thanks.

Wireless Wireless Network Private Network Wireless Networking