windows explorer and others don't work after automatic upd..

i did an automatic updates on my pIII running winXPpro and after the restart
windows explorer, my computer, and several items under the start button
stopped working. i was going to do a restore but can't run restore because i
can't get to the control panel. I tried safe mode and get the same problem
even there. what am i missing here???

This is the same thing that is happening to me although mine seems to be
limited to any system tools like restore, defrag etc. I just learned that my
daughter's computer is having the same problem as well. She can't run IE,
Photoshop or just about anything.

I'd be interested in hearing what people someone has to say to fix this.

Rhonda