XP SP 2 Breaks the Internet Explorer

June 27, 2005 5:41:04 PM

I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines (different hardware) and
after the reboot, I try to use IE. It will NOT open any page. Firewall
On/Off, Adding trusted sites...nothing seems to work.

Also, when the machine is rebooting, it says that an unknown program
MARYA.EXE is trying to run and asks if I want to block it. I have said yes
and no and still no IE.

HEEELLLLPP!! Before I loose my mind!! :)
Holly
June 27, 2005 5:55:57 PM

I'll bet that if you totally stop the MARYA.EXE from appearing when you
bought you'll solve your problem. Did you run all your spyware/malware
protection software?

"Moonbees" <Moonbees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines (different hardware)
>and
> after the reboot, I try to use IE. It will NOT open any page. Firewall
> On/Off, Adding trusted sites...nothing seems to work.
>
> Also, when the machine is rebooting, it says that an unknown program
> MARYA.EXE is trying to run and asks if I want to block it. I have said
> yes
> and no and still no IE.
>
> HEEELLLLPP!! Before I loose my mind!! :)
> Holly
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:57:26 PM

Your PC is probably infected with viruses/spyware/malware.
Cleanup your PC before attempting to install SP2.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Moonbees" wrote:

| I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines (different hardware) and
| after the reboot, I try to use IE. It will NOT open any page. Firewall
| On/Off, Adding trusted sites...nothing seems to work.
|
| Also, when the machine is rebooting, it says that an unknown program
| MARYA.EXE is trying to run and asks if I want to block it. I have said yes
| and no and still no IE.
|
| HEEELLLLPP!! Before I loose my mind!! :)
| Holly
June 27, 2005 7:57:27 PM

Thanks, guys but these are total reformats AND I have run MS AntiSpyware,
Spybot and Symantec...in various order and after every update. No spyware is
found.

I search for the program marya.exe and it is only found in the
C:/windows/prefetch folder, no where else.
I have looked in the registry for any oddities.
I have reinstalled IE as a standalone AFTER SP2.
I have run the program that MS suggested to clean the registry and restore IE.
There are no processes running that I can see that would be related to
marya.exe.....

At this point, I have a PC with nothing but Windows XP Pro and the initial
updates that it finds from Windows Updates. When I do Windows Updates the
second time to get SP2, it DLs and installs. (IE obviously works BEFORE SP2)
I get the marya.exe. I say block it. Run MS AS...no spyware found. Try to
open IE...nothing.

Have tried DLing SP2 as a standalone (not with Windows Update) and still get
the problem.

This is happening on 3 different machines, an IBM Laptop, an Older Dell and
a Custom Box.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Holly

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Your PC is probably infected with viruses/spyware/malware.
> Cleanup your PC before attempting to install SP2.
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

> http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
>
> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

> Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
> to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
>
> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Moonbees" wrote:
>
> | I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines (different hardware) and
> | after the reboot, I try to use IE. It will NOT open any page. Firewall
> | On/Off, Adding trusted sites...nothing seems to work.
> |
> | Also, when the machine is rebooting, it says that an unknown program
> | MARYA.EXE is trying to run and asks if I want to block it. I have said yes
> | and no and still no IE.
> |
> | HEEELLLLPP!! Before I loose my mind!! :)
> | Holly

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:24:36 PM

Referring to "I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines" - Is it
a "fresh" download of SP2 for each machine or the same download (or CD).
Since SP2 is the common denominator it evidently is the culprit.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
June 27, 2005 10:24:37 PM

Al,

We have tried several ways. Allowing Window updates to do the install,
DLing the IT professional network executable and letting it work. DLing the
IT pro version, running the spyware and antivirus stuff and then doing the
install.

Here is the kicker....we have performed the same install (method) for more
than three months. It has only been in the last 2 weeks that there has been
a problem.

Scratching my head, here!! :) ~
Holly

"Al Romanosky" wrote:

> Referring to "I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines" - Is it
> a "fresh" download of SP2 for each machine or the same download (or CD).
> Since SP2 is the common denominator it evidently is the culprit.

> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
> Myers, FL

June 27, 2005 11:40:04 PM

My research shows "marya.exe" is a hijack/malware type of program. You
wouldn't be connecting to the internet before you have an Antivirus and
Firewall in place would you? If so, this is where your problem lies. You
are being infected before you get started. The last time I checked, a study
was done on how long it took the "average" XP PC to become infected without
software. You want to guess how long that was, I'll give it to you 13-15
seconds, the quicker the connection, the quicker it became infected somehow.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

> [...]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

>> "Moonbees" wrote:
>>
>> | I have tried loading SP2 on three different machines (different
>> hardware) and
>> | after the reboot, I try to use IE. It will NOT open any page.
>> Firewall
>> | On/Off, Adding trusted sites...nothing seems to work.
>> |
>> | Also, when the machine is rebooting, it says that an unknown program
>> | MARYA.EXE is trying to run and asks if I want to block it. I have said
>> yes
>> | and no and still no IE.
>> |
>> | HEEELLLLPP!! Before I loose my mind!! :)

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:40:05 PM

PLEASE tell me where you got your info as ourdept intern and I have searched
and searched for marya.exe in all the obvious places.

Note, too, we have installed MS Antispyware, Symantec 9.0 and spybot and
made sure the machines were clean before we put on SP2. We have tried every
combo of installation that we can think of.

I would greatly appreciated any info on it that you have!!

Thanks, Star!
Holly

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
> >> to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:
> >>
> >> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
> >>
> >> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
> >>
> >> HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp
> >>
> >> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:40:06 PM

> PLEASE tell me where you got your info as ourdept intern and I have
> searched
> and searched for marya.exe in all the obvious places.
>
> Note, too, we have installed MS Antispyware, Symantec 9.0 and spybot and
> made sure the machines were clean before we put on SP2. We have tried
> every
> combo of installation that we can think of.
>
> I would greatly appreciated any info on it that you have!!
>
> Thanks, Star!
> Holly

Found on MSN search

http://sandbox.norman.no/live_2.html?logfile=181934

This was the only English link I could make sense of. There were a few links
from Google and MSN for marya.exe. Most of them in European languages. Most
of them were HijackThis logs. This is a pretty good indication that it is
malware but so far not seen much on computers of English speaking people.
Somehow it got your freshly installed systems. How are you doing the
install?

Kerry

!