Wal-Mart's $348 Toshiba 17'' Laptop is a Steal

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaz480

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
not too bad, but the processor is a huge downside, but at the price its plenty for the market its aimed towards.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I will assume Intel x4500 graphics since you failed to mention them?

and yes, beats the hell out a netbook, except for that portability part...toshiba 17" laptops are HUGE

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I have been seriously disappoint by toshiba lately. 3 out of the 4 people i know who have one hate it and have serious driver issues. The forth one, my father, is running one that I installed ubuntu on. He is still occassionally annoyed but no longer 3 seconds sort of throwing it through a window. I won't outright blame vista, but rather toshiba's driver/bloatware software they ship with the machine. Its almost once a month i have to reinstall drivers.

decoppel

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Heh @ those knocking netbooks.

I know from firsthand experience Vista will bog down that Celeron, my netbook runs quite snappy with a pre-tweaked XP OS, not to mention is a fraction of the weight and size with a large keyboard. I wouldn't trade it in for this garbage.

webgrunt

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
tayb 08/13/2009 9:52 PM wrote: "A netbook is basically a cheap crappy notebook. That certainly fits the bill here."

With the main difference being that a netbook is usually small and light, whereas the Toshiba 17" is big and heavy--so it gives up the only real advantage a netbook has in the first place.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]I have been seriously disappoint by toshiba lately. 3 out of the 4 people i know who have one hate it and have serious driver issues. The forth one, my father, is running one that I installed ubuntu on. He is still occassionally annoyed but no longer 3 seconds sort of throwing it through a window. I won't outright blame vista, but rather toshiba's driver/bloatware software they ship with the machine. Its almost once a month i have to reinstall drivers.[/citation]

I think i might get one for my girlfriend. The only uses PC for social networking and emails... LOL.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]A netbook is basically a cheap crappy notebook. That certainly fits the bill here.[/citation]
Many fail to see the point. This is a notebook and it will out perform any netbook in all categories except battery life. It has a faster processor, more memory(and can be upgraded), Bigger hard drive, and I do not know of a netbook with a burner in it. DUH! It is a notebook! This is a great value and can be easily made better by installing XP and getting rid of the Toshiba bloatware. A 17" notebook for $348? Try and find a better buy. Of course you can go and get a used notebook on ebay that MIGHT meet the same spec's. Get real......

G

@decoppel:

I don't see any reason not to upgrade the OS on that toshiba. vista certainly only qualifies as bloat.

but apart from that, it remains that this Penrym 45nm based Celeron will absolutely kill the Atom N270 in every performance benchmark out there. It's at least twice as fast.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Calling it a "steal" is a questionable argument. Sure it has a lot in it for a low price, but it's too big to be really portable and too weak to replace a decent desktop. Cash spent one place is cash you can't spend somewhere else and I stopped buying marginal crap along time ago.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I have a Toshiba NB-205 and with 2gb ram and a 7200rpm 500gb HD, it is just about as good as a simple notebook that would be at least double the weight and size. And I get a 9 hour battery life.

I can't say I like the atom processor thought, it does not like photoshop too well

[citation][nom]reininop[/nom]Calling it a "steal" is a questionable argument.[/citation]
I have to agree with that.
If it had a better CPU and windows 7 included...
Well.. I'd probably convince the wife we should buy it.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]It's a Celeron... it is a TERRIBLE processor. Honestly, an Atom is similarly spec'd to a Celeron. Celeron's are actually a joke.[/citation]

yeah really. the original eee pc's had celerons and they were a lot slower than any of the atoms currently being produced.

G

Some people ITT don't seem to realize that Intel recycles the Celeron name again and again. E.g., the first Celeron 900 was released in 2001 as a desktop processor, to be followed by mobile Celeron 900's etc.

The Celeron 900 in this machine is a 45nm Penryn, it scores around 2000 on PCMark Vantage. The Atom N270 scores around 1200 on PCMark Vantage. Differences in other benches are more extreme, for example the Celeron 900 takes ~30s for SuperPi vs. around ~90s for the N270...

decoppel

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
@ coppulas

I'd prefer a lightweight netbook with a fullsized keyboard and 5 times the battery life, than to have a Notebook that can barely run any games anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.