Tech: Atari Big Blue replacement question

i am just checking to see if a 35,000mfd at 40V could replace the original
27,000mfd 15V(?) Big Blue in Atari games? i have used in several cabs now
but want to double-check so i don't overlook some work(troubleshooting) that
i've already done!!

thanks,
Kelly

That cap will do just fine.
BTW, where are you finding those?

"Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>i am just checking to see if a 35,000mfd at 40V could replace the original
>27,000mfd 15V(?) Big Blue in Atari games? i have used in several cabs now
>but want to double-check so i don't overlook some work(troubleshooting)
>that i've already done!!
>
> thanks,
> Kelly

If you look on ebay, there is a guy selling 27,000uf 25v or 40v (cant
remember which voltage) for something like $20 shipped for 4. FWIW,
bobs site said anything from 27,000 - 35,000 will work for a big blue
replacement.

Troy

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kelly Ray" <kray37nospam@comcast.net> wrote in

> i am just checking to see if a 35,000mfd at 40V could replace the
> original 27,000mfd 15V(?) Big Blue in Atari games? i have used in
> several cabs now but want to double-check so i don't overlook some
> work(troubleshooting) that i've already done!!
>
> thanks,
> Kelly

I thought higher voltage was ok, but the mfd value had to be the same.

-Tom

small local dealer(Dallas) has these and half price as Bob's i hate to
say(sure hope he's alright)!

i figured they would be ok, thanks for the post.

Kelly

"Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That cap will do just fine.
> BTW, where are you finding those?

ok, thanks!

<takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you look on ebay, there is a guy selling 27,000uf 25v or 40v (cant
> remember which voltage) for something like $20 shipped for 4. FWIW,
> bobs site said anything from 27,000 - 35,000 will work for a big blue
> replacement.
>
> Troy

In this case it's ok since all it's being used for is to filter the
input rectified to DC. You still need to match or better the voltage
rating though. Also I believe the ESR of the cap must be relatively
close to the original.

- Craig

that'll work too!

if you guys want the higher one that i have available (35,000mfd at 40v) for
$5.95 and is the exact same size as original also made by Mallory, email me
privately and i don't mind sending you guys some especially since Bob($12.50
i think on his site) is down for awhile i take it!!

let me know if you guys want some,
Kelly