Possible DLL problem

I may have deleted some important DLL files, and I need to know what I
can do to fix this problem (if anything). I used a program called
DLLArchive during a general clean-up, and started having problems
immediately after. When I tried to re-install the DLL's using the
program's archives, it didn't work. So now I have all the archived DLLs
with no way to put them back where they were. One of my questions - is
there a way to reinstall the DLL files to their original place?

Also, if nothing works (and I've tried and tried to fix the damage with
negative results) will the "Compaq System Recovery" program restore my
machine to its factory configuration, including the "lost" DLL files?
When I first started this computer, it had me make 4 backup CD's, which
I'm guessing will be used if I do a system recovery.

I'm using a Compaq Presario S4000NX, Windows XP Home (Version 2002) SP2,
Intel Celeron 2.40 Ghz, 504Mb RAM.

Thanks...ncSkeet
5
answers
Last reply
More about possible problem

    Sfc /Scannow All windows files would get reinstalled if
    corrupt or missing...But one needs the original (xp) cd.

    start>run>sfc / scannow

    --
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.fast-rewind.com

    Nicoliani ™ wrote:
    > Sfc /Scannow All windows files would get reinstalled if
    > corrupt or missing...But one needs the original (xp) cd.
    >
    > start>run>sfc / scannow

    Mine was already factory installed on the computer when it bought it, so
    I have no XP CD.
    _______
    ncSkeet

    ncSkeet wrote:
    > I may have deleted some important DLL files, and I need to know what I
    > can do to fix this problem (if anything). I used a program called
    > DLLArchive during a general clean-up, and started having problems
    > immediately after. When I tried to re-install the DLL's using the
    > program's archives, it didn't work. So now I have all the archived
    > DLLs with no way to put them back where they were. One of my
    > questions - is there a way to reinstall the DLL files to their
    > original place?
    >
    > Also, if nothing works (and I've tried and tried to fix the damage
    > with negative results) will the "Compaq System Recovery" program
    > restore my machine to its factory configuration, including the "lost"
    > DLL files? When I first started this computer, it had me make 4
    > backup CD's, which I'm guessing will be used if I do a system
    > recovery.
    >
    > I'm using a Compaq Presario S4000NX, Windows XP Home (Version 2002)
    > SP2, Intel Celeron 2.40 Ghz, 504Mb RAM.
    >
    > Thanks...ncSkeet

    If you have trouble running the system file checker as the other poster
    mentioned,take a look at this web link.
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Pay close attention to step #2.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    You may not need a CD,my old HP was configured not to need one.
    See my other post. :-)

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    MAP wrote:
    > You may not need a CD,my old HP was configured not to need one.
    > See my other post.

    Thanks for the help. I used regedit to point the sfc program to C:\1386
    (to get around the XP disc problem), but the edit had already been done.
    But while running the sfc program, I still kept getting the dialogue
    boxes telling me to insert the Windows XP CD. I had no choice but to
    cancel them to continue, so of course it didn't work.

    The problem I'm dealing with is getting a dialogue box with "Your
    current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" when
    trying to run programs that require whatever kind of file it takes to
    open the "Help" files of most programs. I also get it when I go to
    Start->Administrative Tools->Services. As soon as I click on "Services",
    I get the security message, and the program won't open. Or its window
    opens with nothing in it.
    ______
    ncSkeet

DLL Windows XP