File copy problem

I am running XP Home with all of the available updates.
I have a partioned hard drive. C has 15.9GB free F has 18.5GB free. Both
partitions have been defragmented.

I need to move a 4GB file from F to C but I get an error message.

"Cannot copy [filename]. There is not enough free disk space"

and it then suggests deleting files.

I get the same message when trying to move the file (instead of copying)
and no matter what technique I try.

--
Stephen Rees
2 answers Last reply

    What file format is C: using? FAT32? If so, then your 4GB file may be just
    a tad over 4GB, thus too big for a single file on a FAT32 file system. I
    would assume the F: is formatted with the NT file system (NTFS), as it
    resides there already, and can support single files larger than 4GB.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Stephen Rees" <srees@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I am running XP Home with all of the available updates.
    > I have a partioned hard drive. C has 15.9GB free F has 18.5GB free. Both
    > partitions have been defragmented.
    >
    > I need to move a 4GB file from F to C but I get an error message.
    >
    > "Cannot copy [filename]. There is not enough free disk space"
    >
    > and it then suggests deleting files.
    >
    > I get the same message when trying to move the file (instead of copying)
    > and no matter what technique I try.
    >

    > --
    > Stephen Rees

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
    <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NO-SPAM)@(SPAM-NOT)hotmail.com> wrote in

    > What file format is C: using? FAT32? If so, then your 4GB file may
    > be just a tad over 4GB, thus too big for a single file on a FAT32 file
    > system. I would assume the F: is formatted with the NT file system
    > (NTFS), as it resides there already, and can support single files
    > larger than 4GB.

    Yup that's it

    F is NTFS, C is FAT32

    Thank you!