Dual PCI-E Non SLI Setup for 3/4 Monitors?

brickhost

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
This may be an obvious question, but is it possible to install a second PCI-E video card and run it in tandem with my 6800GT, without installing the SLI bridge, so that I can hook up to four monitors? I currently run two 19" LCD's, from my one 6800GT, but I would like to add one other monitor immnediately and then a fourth in the near future.

If this is not possible, are there any other solutions, besides installing a PCI video card?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to post.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by brickhost on 10/01/05 08:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's how I test my SLI boards, since I don't have a matched-pair of cards. If your board uses a selector card or jumper, you set that to SLI mode, which really just splits the x16 pathway into two x8's. SLI is controlled in software, you leave SLI disabled in software (and BIOS when necessary), and voila, dual cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SAPI3N

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Hey Prozac, and anyone else with insight

I want to setup a DirectX GPU and a OpenGL workstation GPU in one PC (in non-SLI) mode is this possile?
for example a 8800gt and a QuadroFX in non SLI.

The reason for this is im enrolled in a games development course so i need the power of a
OpenGL workstation GPU for content creation and a DX10 GPU for playing games.

yes it's possible, without the SLI bridge it should be as two seperate cards. If you do install SLI bridge, you'll have to disable SLI in BIOS. otherwise i think it'll work

AMD Athlon 1GHz CPU
384 PC100 RAM
ATI Radeon 9550se 256mb agp
Generic DVD-ROM
LG CD-RW
Generic 40gb HDD IDE
Windows ME
HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!?!?!?!?!