  • Netgear
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 26, 2004 10:30:55 PM

The WGT624 (108 Mbps) Turbo router works great with a Netgear WG511 PC-Card.
I am extremely impressed with the distance of clients, through walls.

QUESTION:

If 54Mbps is all I really need, is it still recommended to get a WGT624, or
is the WGR614 (54Mbps, non turbo mode) router just as good with distance?

More about : netgear wgt624 wgr614

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 12:45:21 AM

"Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The WGT624 (108 Mbps) Turbo router works great with a
Netgear WG511 PC-Card.
> I am extremely impressed with the distance of clients,
through walls.

> QUESTION:
>
> If 54Mbps is all I really need, is it still recommended to
get a WGT624, or
> is the WGR614 (54Mbps, non turbo mode) router just as good
with distance?

I, along with others, have a WGT624, and sadly, am
dissappointed with it, having previously regarded Netgear as
a good supplier. The 624 seems to suffer rebooting problems,
google for wgt624 reboot and you'll see what I mean.
Strangly, now I'm using it purely as an access point it has
stopped rebooting, but it was bought as a router, so doesn't
fulfil it's intended function.

Just one man's opinion,

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

P.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 2:43:12 AM

I use the WGR614v1 with my WG511T PC-card and I am completely
satisfied with them. The distance is outstanding and the speed is
more than what I expected. The only gripe I have is that the WGR614v1
doesn't yet support WAP.

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:30:55 GMT, "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The WGT624 (108 Mbps) Turbo router works great with a Netgear WG511 PC-Card.
>I am extremely impressed with the distance of clients, through walls.
>
>QUESTION:
>
>If 54Mbps is all I really need, is it still recommended to get a WGT624, or
>is the WGR614 (54Mbps, non turbo mode) router just as good with distance?

Related resources
April 27, 2004 10:46:25 PM

"PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I, along with others, have a WGT624, and sadly, am
> dissappointed with it, having previously regarded Netgear as
> a good supplier. The 624 seems to suffer rebooting problems,
> google for wgt624 reboot and you'll see what I mean.
> Strangly, now I'm using it purely as an access point it has
> stopped rebooting, but it was bought as a router, so doesn't
> fulfil it's intended function.
>
> Just one man's opinion,
>
> good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I am aware of the reboot problems but I've seen those reported with the
D-Link, even more than Netgear. I think the rebbots are a function of many
things, including how the router interfaces with the ISP provider. For
examples, lockups due to leases on IP address, etc. The Atheros chipset is
common to Netgear and Dlink. The latest versions are more stable. You might
have gotten one that was prone to problems. Any way you can return it and
get a replacement?
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 2:30:11 AM

> "PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I, along with others, have a WGT624, and sadly, am
> > dissappointed with it, having previously regarded
Netgear as
> > a good supplier. The 624 seems to suffer rebooting
problems,
> > google for wgt624 reboot and you'll see what I mean.
> > Strangly, now I'm using it purely as an access point it
has
> > stopped rebooting, but it was bought as a router, so
doesn't
> > fulfil it's intended function.
> >
> > Just one man's opinion,
> >
> > good luck with whatever you decide to do.
> >

> I am aware of the reboot problems but I've seen those
reported with the
> D-Link, even more than Netgear. I think the rebbots are a
function of many
> things, including how the router interfaces with the ISP
provider. For
> examples, lockups due to leases on IP address, etc. The
Atheros chipset is
> common to Netgear and Dlink. The latest versions are more
stable. You might
> have gotten one that was prone to problems. Any way you
can return it and
> get a replacement?

There doesn't seem to be a common consensus of opinion
regarding the reboots, everyone seems to have their own
theories ;-)
And to be honest, the rebooting was a niggle, it upset my
dynamic dns provider more than myself, but since I rely of
dynamic dns, the router is currently playing Access Point of
my Netgear DSL router, until such time as I get my domains
sorted out, then perhaps the 624 can take it's place in the
routing heirarchy once more ;-) The DSL router is a FVS318,
also by Netgear, a superb beast for the money, so up until
now, Netgear has been my favoured supplier. Maybe a new
firmware will resolve the problems, we'll see..

P.
April 28, 2004 7:43:54 AM

Yup, Prosafe is the best they make.