Run Away Process - vsmon - please help

Tags:
  • Windows XP
June 28, 2005 2:41:33 PM

The vsmon process on my system intermittently runs amok using aver 50% of
the CPU and preventing anything else from running. I tried cancelling the
process through task manager but it says I don't have authority (I have
admin privileges). I have run a full virus and spyware scan (using CA ez
Trust ezAntiVirus and Lavasoft AdAware Pro) but that showed up nothing. I'm
also using ZoneAlarm Pro.

The only thing that seems to fix it for a day or two is to reset my router
to factory default settings and then reload it off a backup I have.

My system is a P4 3.0Ghz
1Gb Ram
1.7Gb swap file
Windows XP SP2 Pro with all security patches installed
Router - Billion 7402

Thanks

More about : run process vsmon

June 28, 2005 2:41:34 PM

Gilgamesh wrote:
> The vsmon process on my system intermittently runs amok using aver
> 50% of the CPU and preventing anything else from running. I tried
> cancelling the process through task manager but it says I don't have
> authority (I have admin privileges). I have run a full virus and
> spyware scan (using CA ez Trust ezAntiVirus and Lavasoft AdAware Pro)
> but that showed up nothing. I'm also using ZoneAlarm Pro.
>
> The only thing that seems to fix it for a day or two is to reset my
> router to factory default settings and then reload it off a backup I
> have.
>
> My system is a P4 3.0Ghz
> 1Gb Ram
> 1.7Gb swap file
> Windows XP SP2 Pro with all security patches installed
> Router - Billion 7402
>
> Thanks

vsmon.exe is part of Zone Alarm.

Dump Zone Alarm and try this one.

Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
http://smb.sygate.com/free/spf_download.php

Or if you don't want to do that since you have the Pro version you might try
their forums.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/userForum...

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

"Gilgamesh" <me@spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
news:o EPdJ73eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The vsmon process on my system intermittently runs amok using aver 50% of
> the CPU and preventing anything else from running. I tried cancelling the
> process through task manager but it says I don't have authority (I have
> admin privileges). I have run a full virus and spyware scan (using CA ez
> Trust ezAntiVirus and Lavasoft AdAware Pro) but that showed up nothing.
> I'm also using ZoneAlarm Pro.
>
> The only thing that seems to fix it for a day or two is to reset my router
> to factory default settings and then reload it off a backup I have.
>
> My system is a P4 3.0Ghz
> 1Gb Ram
> 1.7Gb swap file
> Windows XP SP2 Pro with all security patches installed
> Router - Billion 7402
>
> Thanks

June 28, 2005 2:41:34 PM

VSMON is the True Vector service of Zone Alarm. Can't tell you why it is
'running amok'.........mine uses little, if any, cpu cycles. You might
want to try the FAQ section of Zone Labs for info.
Heirloom, old and mowed again

"Gilgamesh" <me@spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
news:o EPdJ73eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The vsmon process on my system intermittently runs amok using aver 50% of
> the CPU and preventing anything else from running. I tried cancelling the
> process through task manager but it says I don't have authority (I have
> admin privileges). I have run a full virus and spyware scan (using CA ez
> Trust ezAntiVirus and Lavasoft AdAware Pro) but that showed up nothing.
> I'm also using ZoneAlarm Pro.
>
> The only thing that seems to fix it for a day or two is to reset my router
> to factory default settings and then reload it off a backup I have.
>
> My system is a P4 3.0Ghz
> 1Gb Ram
> 1.7Gb swap file
> Windows XP SP2 Pro with all security patches installed
> Router - Billion 7402
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:41:35 PM

After reading your post, I encountered the same thing. Vsmon is racking up
49-51% of the cpu cycles and bringing everything to a halt.....could not End
Task and had to power down to reboot. If I find the answer I will post
back, if you find it, please let me know!!
Heirloom, old and that's why one was
blank

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> VSMON is the True Vector service of Zone Alarm. Can't tell you why it is
> 'running amok'.........mine uses little, if any, cpu cycles. You might
> want to try the FAQ section of Zone Labs for info.
> Heirloom, old and mowed again
>
> "Gilgamesh" <me@spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> news:o EPdJ73eFHA.3160@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> The vsmon process on my system intermittently runs amok using aver 50% of
>> the CPU and preventing anything else from running. I tried cancelling
>> the process through task manager but it says I don't have authority (I
>> have admin privileges). I have run a full virus and spyware scan (using
>> CA ez Trust ezAntiVirus and Lavasoft AdAware Pro) but that showed up
>> nothing. I'm also using ZoneAlarm Pro.
>>
>> The only thing that seems to fix it for a day or two is to reset my
>> router to factory default settings and then reload it off a backup I
>> have.
>>
>> My system is a P4 3.0Ghz
>> 1Gb Ram
>> 1.7Gb swap file
>> Windows XP SP2 Pro with all security patches installed
>> Router - Billion 7402
>>
>> Thanks

June 28, 2005 3:32:35 PM

As mentioned VSmon is part of Zone Alarm and the TrueVector service. Are you
guys using the latest version of ZA there have been several updates released
since version 5.5 came out? For what its worth my vsmon is using 0% CPU but
appears to be a bit of a memory hog. You could try uninstalling ZA. You will
need to manually delete its folder. Now do a cold reboot of your system and
reinstall zone alarm.

Chelsea
!