Andrew

everytime i try to run the disk defragmenter, the application fails to
initialize and there is no error message or anything. all i see is the
hourglass pop up for a second then disappear. anyone know what this is all
about?

Have you run Event Viewer?

If not, got to Start > Run and type
eventvwr.msc
click OK

Then check for errors and warnings that my be related to your problem with
Defrag.

Of course we cannot rule out a bad hard drive.

--
Michael

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> every time i try to run the disk defragmenter, the application fails to
> initialize and there is no error message or anything. all i see is the
> hourglass pop up for a second then disappear. anyone know what this is
> all
> about?

Omni

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

Andrew Wrote:
> everytime i try to run the disk defragmenter, the application fails to
> initialize and there is no error message or anything. all i see is
> the
> hourglass pop up for a second then disappear. anyone know what this is
> all
> about?

Have you tried defragmenting in safe mode? If you are using the Windows
defragmenter, make sure there arent any processes running that
clash,which is why it works best in safe mode. Boot into safe mode, run
CHKDSK. As the other option try one of the third party defragmenters
and see if it works.

--
omni