Dell rolls out dual core cpu soon

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:e77o51l4vfgoo6i13je0sst04k64pihup6@4ax.com...
> see the link
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4zv46

Interesting. This claims the Extreme Edition CPU will be supported first,
which will appeal to those who want the fastest CPU and price is no concern.
But the EE cost/benefit ratio is rather steep, so most of us mortals will
prefer to wait for the more mundane dual-core Pentium PCs. For the record,
the two CPUs of the new EE will support hyperthreading, whereas the upcoming
standard dual-cores will offer a pair of non-hyperthread CPUs. Thus, in a
logical sense, a dual core P4 looks like a hyperthreaded single core, but
the performance advantage of really having two CPUs is supposed to be very
large (as long as your tasks are in a position to take advantage of two
CPUs).

"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> see the link
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4zv46
>
> Interesting. This claims the Extreme Edition CPU will be supported first,
> which will appeal to those who want the fastest CPU and price is no
> concern. But the EE cost/benefit ratio is rather steep, so most of us
> mortals will prefer to wait for the more mundane dual-core Pentium PCs.
> For the record, the two CPUs of the new EE will support hyperthreading,
> whereas the upcoming standard dual-cores will offer a pair of
> non-hyperthread CPUs. Thus, in a logical sense, a dual core P4 looks like
> a hyperthreaded single core, but the performance advantage of really
> having two CPUs is supposed to be very large (as long as your tasks are in
> a position to take advantage of two CPUs).

I've also read that these new dual-cores cannot be used in the current
915/925 chipset boards. Bummer if that's true.

Stew

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> see the link
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/4zv46
>>
>> Interesting. This claims the Extreme Edition CPU will be supported first,
>> which will appeal to those who want the fastest CPU and price is no
>> concern. But the EE cost/benefit ratio is rather steep, so most of us
>> mortals will prefer to wait for the more mundane dual-core Pentium PCs.
>> For the record, the two CPUs of the new EE will support hyperthreading,
>> whereas the upcoming standard dual-cores will offer a pair of
>> non-hyperthread CPUs. Thus, in a logical sense, a dual core P4 looks like
>> a hyperthreaded single core, but the performance advantage of really
>> having two CPUs is supposed to be very large (as long as your tasks are
>> in a position to take advantage of two CPUs).
>>

> I've also read that these new dual-cores cannot be used in the current
> 915/925 chipset boards. Bummer if that's true.
>

> Stew

Yes that is true a new motherboard will be required for the new Intel dual
core cpu's.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050405/pentium_d-02.html

Steve

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:10:03 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>see the link
>
>http://tinyurl.com/4zv46

Sounds intersting. I think I know what my next DV & HDV editing +
video encoding machine will be.

ME

>>see the link
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/4zv46
>
>Sounds intersting. I think I know what my next DV & HDV editing +
>video encoding machine will be.

yeah I just wonder how expensive that Dell 380 will be
tho?

Is that what you would buy? the Dell 380?

"Jim Gunn" <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:10:03 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>see the link
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/4zv46
>
> Sounds intersting. I think I know what my next DV & HDV editing +
> video encoding machine will be.

wait for the dual core opterons ....

ME

>wait for the dual core opterons ...

ok

but who would YOU buy one from?

I'm looking for a good assembler. I know dell has gone
down the tubes customer support wise.... hence the
question

me@privacy.net wrote:

> >wait for the dual core opterons ...
>
> ok
>
> but who would YOU buy one from?
>
> I'm looking for a good assembler. I know dell has gone
> down the tubes customer support wise.... hence the
> question

The article said it'd be avaialble in the Precision 380.
As the Precision Workstations are available from Dell's
Small Business Division, this also gives the buyer the
option of opting in for better than "the usual" support
(i.e., GTS).

Notan

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:26:04 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>>>see the link
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/4zv46
>>
>>Sounds intersting. I think I know what my next DV & HDV editing +
>>video encoding machine will be.
>
>yeah I just wonder how expensive that Dell 380 will be
>tho?
>
>Is that what you would buy? the Dell 380?

Actually, I will probably eventually purhase some version of the Dell
Dimension Gen 5 XPS system that will feature this dual-core processor.
As far as my feeling for Dell, I do my own support for the most part
and I have luckilly never had to use Dell's customer support. All my
several Dell computers have worked great for me since day one. (My
almost five year old 800 Mhz Win Me system still works fine) .

> me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>> >wait for the dual core opterons ...
>>
>> ok
>>
>> but who would YOU buy one from?
>>
>> I'm looking for a good assembler. I know dell has gone
>> down the tubes customer support wise.... hence the
>> question
>
> The article said it'd be avaialble in the Precision 380.
> As the Precision Workstations are available from Dell's
> Small Business Division, this also gives the buyer the
> option of opting in for better than "the usual" support
> (i.e., GTS).
>
> Notan

I have only ever dealt with Gold support from dell, and always on business
systems. Some good calls, some painful.

Dell is fair for the budget conscious, but I wouldnt buy a serious
workstation from anyone but HP or IBM.

- NuTs

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> >> ok
> >>
> >> but who would YOU buy one from?
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a good assembler. I know dell has gone
> >> down the tubes customer support wise.... hence the
> >> question
> >
> > The article said it'd be avaialble in the Precision 380.
> > As the Precision Workstations are available from Dell's
> > Small Business Division, this also gives the buyer the
> > option of opting in for better than "the usual" support
> > (i.e., GTS).
> >
> > Notan
>
> I have only ever dealt with Gold support from dell, and always on business
> systems. Some good calls, some painful.
>
> Dell is fair for the budget conscious, but I wouldnt buy a serious
> workstation from anyone but HP or IBM.

The 380 is, more or less, an entry level workstation.

I've got a 360... I purchased it because the configuration options
gave me exactly what I needed (RAID1, GTS, etc.).

Notan

ME

>>Is that what you would buy? the Dell 380?
>
>Actually, I will probably eventually purhase some version of the Dell
>Dimension Gen 5 XPS system that will feature this dual-core processor.
>As far as my feeling for Dell, I do my own support for the most part

the Dell 380 will have dual core as well.

That's why I asked if you'd buy it

ME

>The 380 is, more or less, an entry level workstation.

yes.... but with dual core technology I wonder if the
380 will replace the dual CPU unit such as the 470 and
670? And maybe the 380 will become their best
workstation power wise?