Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unconditional Call Forwarding when roaming.

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I got tired of getting 2 different answeres from customer service.

Im planning to go to Europe and I'm planning to pick up a local sim card. I
want to use call forward with my Fido sim card and send the calls to the
local sim.
***
Here's the Question.

When activating the call forward, is it sent to the local switch or will it
be sent back to the Fido Switch ?

***

Why do I wanna do this?

Because Receiving a call while roaming to that particular country, its
charged at 1.50$/min

While, using call forwarding and the 4$ long distance package, it will cost
0.20$/min to my fido bill , and incoming calls will be free on the local
sim.
April 21, 2005 1:14:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:51:50 -0400, "DK" <sendmeskata@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I got tired of getting 2 different answeres from customer service.
>
>Im planning to go to Europe and I'm planning to pick up a local sim card. I
>want to use call forward with my Fido sim card and send the calls to the
>local sim.
>***
>Here's the Question.
>
>When activating the call forward, is it sent to the local switch or will it
>be sent back to the Fido Switch ?

Back to the Fido switch? Fido will of course originate the swtiching
from Canada to whatever location you are in. Nothing's sent back to
Fido unless you have it sent back to your Fido voicemail.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 2:40:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Im talking about forwarding while in another country.
Will the forward be made at the Fido switch or at the Local Switch?

If its done locally, I will be double charged.

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c2ae61hq62shceshjmeovpeq04ri7pgao5@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:51:50 -0400, "DK"

> Back to the Fido switch? Fido will of course originate the swtiching
> from Canada to whatever location you are in. Nothing's sent back to
> Fido unless you have it sent back to your Fido voicemail.
>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:53:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you cannot set your
phone/SIM to unconditional forwarding if you are already roaming. You
can only set it if you are still at home -- before you fly-out.

What you can do before you leave is to set your phone/SIM to
unconditional forwarding to your VMBox or home number and then leave
your SIM to someone at home. When you arrive to your destination and
got yourself a local SIM, ask that someone at home who's keeping your
SIM to insert it on another phone and change the unconditional
forwarding to the number of your local SIM.

Hth.
April 22, 2005 3:05:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

<gsm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I forwarded my fido phone to another canadian # once while I was
roaming in
> the unitied states and it worked. I called my # from another line and
it was
> forwarded. I was not charged for any forwarding fees on the line. If
you're
> talking about forwarding when you're international don't take my word
on it.
> I'm not too sure if it would work the same.
>
> "2004TL.NBP" <2004TL.NBP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1114113215.390074.78130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you cannot set your
> > phone/SIM to unconditional forwarding if you are already roaming.
You
> > can only set it if you are still at home -- before you fly-out.
> >
> > What you can do before you leave is to set your phone/SIM to
> > unconditional forwarding to your VMBox or home number and then
leave
> > your SIM to someone at home. When you arrive to your destination
and
> > got yourself a local SIM, ask that someone at home who's keeping
your
> > SIM to insert it on another phone and change the unconditional
> > forwarding to the number of your local SIM.
> >
> > Hth.
> >
April 22, 2005 3:22:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

A Fido account gives you a Fido sim which gives you access to the
services
associated with your account. It doesn't matter which network you are
on.
However, some services which are free on Fido may be charged on a
roaming partner. For example: call reject may incur a 1 minute call
charge,
as the call goes to your phone before being re-directed.
It is unlikely anyone charges for simply changeing your call forward
option as
no actual call is made, just account data is changed to reflect your
line status.
So keep your Fido sim available until you actually put another one in
the phone.
That way if you change the sim again, you can use the Fido sim to
change the
c/f number to your new one, or to a local hotel landline.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:33:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I forwarded my fido phone to another canadian # once while I was roaming in
the unitied states and it worked. I called my # from another line and it was
forwarded. I was not charged for any forwarding fees on the line. If you're
talking about forwarding when you're international don't take my word on it.
I'm not too sure if it would work the same.

"2004TL.NBP" <2004TL.NBP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114113215.390074.78130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you cannot set your
> phone/SIM to unconditional forwarding if you are already roaming. You
> can only set it if you are still at home -- before you fly-out.
>
> What you can do before you leave is to set your phone/SIM to
> unconditional forwarding to your VMBox or home number and then leave
> your SIM to someone at home. When you arrive to your destination and
> got yourself a local SIM, ask that someone at home who's keeping your
> SIM to insert it on another phone and change the unconditional
> forwarding to the number of your local SIM.
>
> Hth.
>
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:48:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

gsm2g4@yahoo.com wrote:
> forwarded. I was not charged for any forwarding fees on the line. If you're
> talking about forwarding when you're international don't take my word on it.
> I'm not too sure if it would work the same.

If the roaming software is the same, why shouldn't it work ? Whether you
are in the USA or France, the functions shoudl all work the same.

In fact, one of the early suggestions when multiband phones came out was
to bring your locked Fido phone to europe, then hire a local cheap phone
service. Once you have your new number, you turn handset with FIDO sim
in it, and set the call forwarding to your new temporary number, and
then slip back your new local SIM in the phone.

And once a day, you slip the Fido SIM in the phone to pickup any SMS messages.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:36:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Here is what a ONE fido rep told me:

Call forward works anywhere. If you place a forward within the fido network,
all forwarded calls will be made at the FIDO switch.

If lets say you were roaming with Vodafone in the UK for example, the
forward will be set at the Vodafone switch.

So if you forward your calls to a london phone number for example, there
will be a double charge. Meaning, Incoming Call Charge and Local Call
charge.

That's what I am trying to avoid entirely. I wank to skip roaming and have
all calls forwarded as a long distance call.

Another rep told me it will be done at the Fido switch. I dont know who to
beleive. Its like I have to test it for myself and cross my fingers. -- No
thanks.

DK


"Zap" <install0r1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114150945.052719.257170@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>A Fido account gives you a Fido sim which gives you access to the
> services
> associated with your account. It doesn't matter which network you are
> on.
> However, some services which are free on Fido may be charged on a
> roaming partner. For example: call reject may incur a 1 minute call
> charge,
> as the call goes to your phone before being re-directed.
> It is unlikely anyone charges for simply changeing your call forward
> option as
> no actual call is made, just account data is changed to reflect your
> line status.
> So keep your Fido sim available until you actually put another one in
> the phone.
> That way if you change the sim again, you can use the Fido sim to
> change the
> c/f number to your new one, or to a local hotel landline.
>
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:21:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

DK wrote:
> If lets say you were roaming with Vodafone in the UK for example, the
> forward will be set at the Vodafone switch.

Somehow, I doubt this.

If say, you are in London, set your forwarding to a number in Canada,
and then travel to France, does this mean that Vodaphone in the UK would
still ding you ?

From what I understood, your own forwarding commands are sent back to
your home provider. But if you don't set a forwarding, and someone tries
to call you while you are in London, the call makes it to say Vodaphone,
at which point, if you don't answer, your phone is off or out of range,
Vodaphone then send the call back to Fido, and they get some form of
revenu for this.

(not sure about when you phone is off though since theoretically,
Vodaphone would no longer think you are within their network).
April 24, 2005 5:05:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

JF Mezei wrote:
> DK wrote:
> > If lets say you were roaming with Vodafone in the UK for example,
the
> > forward will be set at the Vodafone switch.
Forwarding command is set in YOUR database.
> From what I understood, your own forwarding commands are sent back to
> your home provider. But if you don't set a forwarding, and someone
tries
> to call you while you are in London, the call makes it to say
Vodaphone,
> at which point, if you don't answer, your phone is off or out of
range,
> Vodaphone then send the call back to Fido, and they get some form of
> revenu for this.
Why would Vodaphone send the call to Fido, or why would you forward
a forwarded call from Fido back to the same Fido number?
If you have a Vodaphone sim installed, you have
Vodaphone services on that phone. If you don't
answer, nothing happens unless you specify something
to be done by Vodaphone with the call, same as
using Fido.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:22:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I've forwarded my T-Mobile USA SIM to a Hong Kong prepaid SIM and it was
treated as a forward from the US switch. The call forwarding took place in
Hong Kong.

I would, however, note that it is much cheaper to use something like a
Kall8 (www.kall8.com) 800 number for this purpose. Set the 800 number to
voicemail when you leave Canada. Program it to call forward to your prepaid
SIM once you get one.

Stu
"Zap" <install0r1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1114149919.371124.192540@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> <gsm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I forwarded my fido phone to another canadian # once while I was
> roaming in
>> the unitied states and it worked. I called my # from another line and
> it was
>> forwarded. I was not charged for any forwarding fees on the line. If
> you're
>> talking about forwarding when you're international don't take my word
> on it.
>> I'm not too sure if it would work the same.
>>
>> "2004TL.NBP" <2004TL.NBP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1114113215.390074.78130@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you cannot set your
>> > phone/SIM to unconditional forwarding if you are already roaming.
> You
>> > can only set it if you are still at home -- before you fly-out.
>> >
>> > What you can do before you leave is to set your phone/SIM to
>> > unconditional forwarding to your VMBox or home number and then
> leave
>> > your SIM to someone at home. When you arrive to your destination
> and
>> > got yourself a local SIM, ask that someone at home who's keeping
> your
>> > SIM to insert it on another phone and change the unconditional
>> > forwarding to the number of your local SIM.
>> >
>> > Hth.
>> >
>
!