HELP!! Computer keeps on rebooting

Skinnypup

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
Ok I'm running Windows XP and for some reason my computer will reboot for no reason. If I'm playing a game, just surfing the net or just not doing nothing. I mean sometimes I leave my computer on over night and when I get up in the morning my computer has rebooted. I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and an Athlon XP 2600+ cpu.

This is my system.

Athlon XP 2600+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, 512 DDR PC2700, Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM w/8M Cache, Quantum 30GB 7200RPM, ATI RADEON 9000PRO 128MB DDR, Toshiba 16X DVD, LG 52X24X52 GCE-8520B, ThermalTake 480 Watt Power Supply, and two Vantec Stealth case fan.

Can anyone think of what could be causing the issue?

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are 2 possibility,

1. The most recent one reason would be: you got the WORM. The virus. It is one of the problem that the win32.blaster.worm will do.
2. It may be your power supply or your RAM.

Any chance your CPU is overheating and the overheating protection system is shutting the PC down?

Your PSU should be more than sufficient for your system assuming its working properly - have you checked how stable the voltages are?

Otherwise I'd vote for a virus as being the most likely option.

:eek: My CPU runs so hot it creates a quark-gluon plasma :eek:

Skinnypup

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
Well I don't have the win32.blaster.worm because I have updated my windows xp and scanned my HD. I know because i don't get a message saying my computer will shut down. My computer just restarts.

Well my power supply is should be able to handle my system. Its a 480Watt power supply. My RAM is cheap so maybe i guess that could be the problem.

My CPU temperature is around 52C and my motherboard is around 33C. Does that seem ok?

My voltage on my power supply
+12V - 12.67
+5V - 5.026
+3.3V - 3.44
VCore - 1.72

G

Check your memory.

<A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/#download0" target="_new">Memtest86</A>

Also, go to control panel/system/advanced, in the Starup and Recovery settings, uncheck automatically restart, and see if you can make a note of any errors that you get, if any.