Sign in with
Your question

Best Value AGP 4x card right now?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2005 6:58:24 PM

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my video card. I've been searching around on the 'net for awhile but I've been out of the loop for so long that I'm having trouble figuring out what the best value, most up to date ATI or Nvidia card would be.

I have a pretty old system:

Athlon XP 1800
512 DDR ram (can't recall the speed)
AGP 4x compatible motherboard

Right now I have a GeForce Ti4600 (128mb).

I was about to buy the Radeon 9800 SE 256mb, but I'm unsure whether this is the best most up to date value, because a lot of the reviews are dated from 2003... are there any more up to date offerings from ATI or Nvidia that are still AGP 4x compatible?

Thank you!

More about : agp card

a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2005 10:32:31 AM

OK, time to let you in on the secrets:

1.) A 9800SE is not really a 9800, but rather an updated version of the 9500 non-pro.
2.) A 9800 with 128-bit memory patway is not really a 9800, but an updated version of the 9500 Pro.
3.) It's more important to have a faster graphics chip and faster graphics memory than to have more graphics memory.

Your card is faster than a 9800SE. It might not display DX9 features, but it will provide better frame rates.

If you wanted a noticeable increase in framerates, you'd have to go with at least a Radeon 9700. 9700 Pro and 9800 Pro are better.

Those are old cards and might be available for around $100 if you search hard enough. If not, the GeForce 6600GT is a decent card for around $150.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!