Dell D610 - Thoughts...

I was looking at the 1.86 Centrino, 1 Gig Memory.

Thoughts ?

Decent system for business/development work ?

What about heat issues ? I saw some threads saying there is a design flaw
with heat with the 610 ?

Thanks.

Tman
13 answers Last reply
More about dell d610 thoughts

    I have not heard anything about heat issues with this model. It looks
    like a sweet deal; I say go for it.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:40:01 GMT, "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com>
    wrote:

    >I was looking at the 1.86 Centrino, 1 Gig Memory.
    >
    >Thoughts ?
    >
    >Decent system for business/development work ?
    >
    >What about heat issues ? I saw some threads saying there is a design flaw
    >with heat with the 610 ?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Tman

    I have the D505 and like it. I also have the I8600 and like it. Both
    good machines, the D505 is light and solid-feeling. I got XGA. If I
    had it to do over again I'd get SXGA.

    Kevin

    wrote:

    >I was looking at the 1.86 Centrino, 1 Gig Memory.

    Glad to see 4 USB 2.0 ports. My D505 has only two, which gets me by
    with a hub. I am surprised to see though that the D610 doesn't seem
    to have a 15" monitor option -- my D505 had that as an option.

    Probably very similar machines. Mine has held up well altho the color
    of the casing gets discolored over time where the palm rests are. I
    prefer black, but that hasn't been offered for a while.

    Also, I think they keyboard is really cheap on a lot of these laptops.
    If fingers are at a slight angle, occasionally they can stick on the
    edge of an adjascent key. This hasn't happened for a while so I think
    over time I've learned to adjust.

    I like Dells because that is what I know and have used, and I like the
    modular drive bays. Ever since the Inspiron 4000 I've enjoyed 6 hour
    battery life -- even more with the Pentium-M's.

    Kevin

    Tman wrote:
    > I was looking at the 1.86 Centrino, 1 Gig Memory.
    >
    > Thoughts ?

    I have the D610 w/ P-M 2.0 & 1GB RAM (2x512MB), and I'm very satisfied.

    > Decent system for business/development work ?

    Regarding performance: I currently have multiple windows of OpenOffice
    (an open source MS Office alternative), Mozilla Suite, OrCAD PSPICE (an
    intensive circuit similulator), GIMP (an open source photoshop
    alternative), and a calculator app open in the foreground (as well as a
    slew of background services including SSHD, VNC Server, an anti-virus,
    etc.) and am experiencing no lag. I compile all the time on this
    machine (I dual boot with Gentoo Linux), and it flies there as well.

    > What about heat issues ? I saw some threads saying there is a design flaw
    > with heat with the 610 ?

    As to heat problems, perhaps the posts were referring to an issue with
    the previous model, the D600, which apparently had the processor close
    to where you rest your left palm. This is defnitely not a problem with
    a D610 (the processor, is now on the top left hand side) and even under
    full load I can feel only a slight heat on the keys to the left of f and
    above z.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tman

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    <SNIP>
    >> What about heat issues ? I saw some threads saying there is a design flaw
    >> with heat with the 610 ?
    >
    > As to heat problems, perhaps the posts were referring to an issue with the
    > previous model, the D600, which apparently had the processor close to
    > where you rest your left palm. >> Thanks.

    The D600 processor is in the same place as the D610 ie the top left corner -
    the heat issue and its not really an issue is from the HDD which is in the
    bottom left corner where you rest your palm
    >> Tman
    > Adios,
    > ~Nick

    I have a 600m with a 1.6 M in it and it performs very well. The left side
    does get slightly warm
    but nothing in the uncomfortable range.
    "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >I was looking at the 1.86 Centrino, 1 Gig Memory.
    >
    > Thoughts ?
    >
    > Decent system for business/development work ?
    >
    > What about heat issues ? I saw some threads saying there is a design flaw
    > with heat with the 610 ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tman

    >I have a 600m with a 1.6 M in it and it performs very well. The left side
    >does get slightly warm
    >but nothing in the uncomfortable range.

    How much ram does it have?

    Well...Thanks...

    I'm about to order :)

    They say it will ship by 4/22...here's hoping to earlier :)

    Tman
    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 600m with a 1.6 M in it and it performs very well. The left side
    >does get slightly warm
    > but nothing in the uncomfortable range.
    > "Tman" <mt-trand6@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >>I was looking at the 1.86 Centrino, 1 Gig Memory.
    >>
    >> Thoughts ?
    >>
    >> Decent system for business/development work ?
    >>
    >> What about heat issues ? I saw some threads saying there is a design flaw
    >> with heat with the 610 ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Tman

    OK...1 more pyranoa question.

    There are threads on a possible headphone issue ?

    Antyone have this ?

    Tman

    Tim wrote:
    > OK...1 more pyranoa question.
    >
    > There are threads on a possible headphone issue ?
    >
    > Antyone have this ?
    >
    > Tman

    Yeah, this is definitely a problem and from what I understand it's
    happened on other Dells and there's no quick fix. Basically you can
    hear feedback whenever the headphones are connected while no sound is
    passed through the soundcard. When you're listening to music or a
    movie, this isn't an issue however when you have the headphones
    connected while there isn't a constant sound source you definitely
    notice it. The hiss stops when the HDD is being accessed for some
    reason, and it increases when the mouse is being moved or as USB devices
    are attached. So far the driver updates haven't helped, but since this
    problem occurs in Linux as well I don't expect a driver to fix the
    problem. If it's a major concern, PCMCIA sound cards exist, but remeber
    you only have one PCMCIA slot. Personally I'm not bothered by the
    problem, but I don't generally listen to my laptop with headphones.

    512
    <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >I have a 600m with a 1.6 M in it and it performs very well. The left side
    >>does get slightly warm
    >>but nothing in the uncomfortable range.
    >
    > How much ram does it have?

    Hi,

    I'm typing this reply on my new D610 (got it 3 days ago)
    The heat on the left hand side has gone.
    Reason.: The harddisk no longer comes in direct contact with the upper
    side as the PCMCIA slot sits in between them.
    The bottom side still feels hot...
    I've just tried to go for the noise check with the headphones: don't
    hear anything (but my ears aren't the best arround..)

    I've 2 GB of RAM. Need it for al the VM's I need simultaniously..

    Previous LT was a D600. No (real) probs.
    And the heat on the left hand was nice, especially during the
    winter..

    BR

    Ed

    Hi, is your D610 with intel onboard video or the ATI X300 dedicated video?
    (Re: no headphone noise)

    "Edsuz" <peters.eddy@telenet-dot-be.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm typing this reply on my new D610 (got it 3 days ago)
    > The heat on the left hand side has gone.
    > Reason.: The harddisk no longer comes in direct contact with the upper
    > side as the PCMCIA slot sits in between them.
    > The bottom side still feels hot...
    > I've just tried to go for the noise check with the headphones: don't
    > hear anything (but my ears aren't the best arround..)
    >
    > I've 2 GB of RAM. Need it for al the VM's I need simultaniously..
    >
    > Previous LT was a D600. No (real) probs.
    > And the heat on the left hand was nice, especially during the
    > winter..
    >
    > BR
    >
    > Ed

Dell Development Heat Computers