Problem with my workgroup

i have a workgroup of 10 PC's yesterday i added a new PC and a laptop.
but they cannot see the other machines on the workgroup. they are all
set up perfectly but i dont know what is wrong can anyone help me PLZ.
:confused:

--
egey21
1 answer Last reply

    I know your problem. I have had this same issue and tried to address it with
    Microsoft's KB but they fairly much told me to piss-off. the issue is with
    windows Firewall. By default it is set to block ICMP (Internet Control
    Message Protocol) packets. The ICMP is what is needed for browsing workgroup
    and domains. Most likely you will be able to ping other pc on the network
    but not see them in Network Places.

    To resolve this follow these steps:
    1. Right click on My Network Places then click Properties.
    2. Right click on the network connection and click properties.
    3. Next click on the Advanced tab.
    4. Click on the Windows Firewall Settings button.
    5. Now click on the Advanced tab.
    6. Next, click on the Settings button for ICMP.
    7.Check mark each of the listed items then OK to close and OK on the rest of
    the dialog boxes.

    This should take care of the problem. Please note that the reason why ICMP
    is off is because of ping-floods, used by hackers. But, in most cases,
    hackers won't do anything to a small network unless:
    1. Your public IP address is known.
    2. You have valuable information on your netowrk.
    3. And you have pissed-off a hacker.

    Please refer to the Windows XP Resource Kit on ICMP at the following
    address:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_tcpip_und_icmp.mspx

    --
    Micah E.
    A+ Cert.

    "egey21" <egey21.1rc3po@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > i have a workgroup of 10 PC's yesterday i added a new PC and a laptop.
    > but they cannot see the other machines on the workgroup. they are all
    > set up perfectly but i dont know what is wrong can anyone help me PLZ.
    > :confused:
    >

    > --
    > egey21

Laptops Support Microsoft Windows XP