R580 vs. NV80...any info???

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
Honestly, you would have to be an idiot humping a donkey if you wasted money on top cards out now, when nVidia and ATI are launching MONSTERS soon enough. So, if you didn't know, now you do. If you already did, what do ya know...?

R580 and NV80 are not comptetitors. R580 will be a refresh which is begining it's way to board partners now.

NV80 will arrive spring/summer at the earliest, and likely any ATi response (R600-ish) will come after that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
... CPU's better start catchin up! 32pipe card will probably be cpu limited at all resolutions! Hello AA and AF with no preformance impact! [/close high hopes]

EDIT: Who the [-peep-] ever started this [/retarted sh!t] ??

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Clob on 10/11/05 04:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
yea, didn't ATI and NVIDIA just jaunch new cards? At least ATI did. When was the 7800 launched? When can we expect the next round? I'd like to purchse a 7800GT but am in no rush and am curious when gen 8800 or whatever is due.

<A HREF="http://www.ericstoffers.com" target="_new">(My little web site)</A>

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
Ah, that drives me nuts how people keep saying r580 vs G80...no!

It will be the r580 vs the G72

I think of the r580 as the x850 was to the x800 series, and the G72 as the 6800 Ulra in the 6800 series. They are both refreshes.

G80 is going to be a brand new architecture released later next year.

r580 and G72 are going to be released early next year.

And I don't see why you wouldn't buy a card now...your logic doesn't make sense to me.

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
fine, NV72, i must of read wrong. but still, what's wrong with my logic??? to tell you the truth, im gonna stick with my little putter of a system, until multi-core cpu are really up to par, cheaper, and very friendly with games. until then, i figure wasting money on a card that can't really flex its muscles is dumb...but, if i was gonna buy a card, i would wait for the "refresher." It's some refresher to double the pix pipes...and probably run even more efficiently than fudo.

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
oh yea, have any heard how well ATI's card will handle multithreaded games??? i've heard the new architecture is really supposed to shine in threaded situations, and now everyone is clamoring about how it could possibly handle some physics. What about Nvidia? don't you think this might push them to hasten a new structure? i dunno, but it's an interesting race. Don't you wish you were staff somewhere
where you get handouts from companies?

What you're thinking about when the word multi-threaded is used and what ATi/nV think about are different. Multi-threaded games are more a CPU factor involving the game being coded to take advanatage of it, multi-threading on the VPU side is more of a driver factor, but could benifit a bit from ground up game development. Also the APIs have to be updated a bit to take full advantage of the VPU-threading.

Just FYI there's already a whole ton of parallelism in VPU/GPU architecture so this isn't so new from their perspective.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Gamer_369

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
to tell you the truth, im gonna stick with my little putter of a system, until multi-core cpu are really up to par, cheaper, and very friendly with games. until then, i figure wasting money on a card that can't really flex its muscles is dumb...but, if i was gonna buy a card, i would wait for the "refresher." It's some refresher to double the pix pipes...and probably run even more
Yea, I know exactly where you're coming from. Back in Feb. I told myself I was going to be buying a new PC. So I got a summer job and saved all of my money for the high-end system I expected to buy around in August. But there were so many factors that told me to wait until late next year. One of them being what you mentioned.

So I guess for someone who's iffy right now on upgrading, and has a kick-ass system now as it is, then it'd be better/more exciting to upgrade when refreshes come or even future hardware. But for the majority of consumers who just want something so they can play their games, and not have to hassle over things, any of the currently released cards right now would be good, and one they should get.