Removing Intuit QuickBooks from my new Dell 8400

I used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of QuickBooks on my new Dell,
but I see there is a ton more that Intuit garbage still on my drive
that does not show up in the Add/Remove Programs.

There is also a boatload of Intuit junk still in the registry of XP
Pro.

Will I run into a problem if I manually delete it all from my drive
and registry?
18 answers Last reply
More about removing intuit quickbooks dell 8400

    <joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of QuickBooks on my new Dell,
    > but I see there is a ton more that Intuit garbage still on my drive
    > that does not show up in the Add/Remove Programs.
    >
    > There is also a boatload of Intuit junk still in the registry of XP
    > Pro.
    >
    > Will I run into a problem if I manually delete it all from my drive
    > and registry?

    Probably not if you do it carefully. Before you start, manually create a
    system restore point that you can return to if needed.

    Stew

    Yes, you probably will. It's not a good idea to go rummaging through your
    hard disk or registry to delete stuff.

    For help in removing QuickBooks contact Intuit - they wrote the software and
    provided it to Dell.

    Speaking very generally: Uninstalling software does not necessarily remove
    everything that was installed, particularly in the registry. This is
    probably intentional, in that the uninstall routine is erring on the side of
    safety. Better to leave behind keys that won't affect your computer than to
    take the risk of damaging a user's registry.

    Ted Zieglar

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:33:24 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Yes, you probably will. It's not a good idea to go rummaging through your
    >hard disk or registry to delete stuff.
    >
    >For help in removing QuickBooks contact Intuit - they wrote the software and
    >provided it to Dell.
    >
    >Speaking very generally: Uninstalling software does not necessarily remove
    >everything that was installed, particularly in the registry. This is
    >probably intentional, in that the uninstall routine is erring on the side of
    >safety. Better to leave behind keys that won't affect your computer than to
    >take the risk of damaging a user's registry.
    >
    >Ted Zieglar

    I am aware of that, but this bugger has TONS of stuff left, and most
    of it looks like working parts of the suite(?)

    I'm not a newbie at deleting slop from the registry in Win 98, but
    I'm am totally unfamiliar with XP.

    I guess I shall make that Restore Point, as I don't feel comfortable
    as of yet explorting/importing the XP registry.

    Thanks to all for the good advice.

    <joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of QuickBooks on my new Dell,
    > but I see there is a ton more that Intuit garbage still on my drive
    > that does not show up in the Add/Remove Programs.
    >
    > There is also a boatload of Intuit junk still in the registry of XP
    > Pro.
    >
    > Will I run into a problem if I manually delete it all from my drive
    > and registry?

    Try RegCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    I have never had a problem with it.
    It has automatic registry backup feature.

    Steve

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > <joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of QuickBooks on my new Dell,
    >>but I see there is a ton more that Intuit garbage still on my drive
    >>that does not show up in the Add/Remove Programs.
    >>
    >>There is also a boatload of Intuit junk still in the registry of XP
    >>Pro.
    >>
    >>Will I run into a problem if I manually delete it all from my drive
    >>and registry?
    >>

    > Probably not if you do it carefully. Before you start, manually create a
    > system restore point that you can return to if needed.
    >

    > Stew

    Or just backup the registry (File -> Export from the registry's root)
    and don't empty the trash until you reboot.

    You are being TOO charitable. "erring on the side of >safety." Hah! First,
    Micro$oft created a world-class horror show with the registry, its organization,
    its entirely cryptic nature, and its needless complexity. Next, some software
    writers are able to slog through the registry quagmire, and leave the registry
    in a somewhat clean state. Yes, there are some entries left behind, but there
    are not a lot of them. Other software writers are just as incompetent as
    Micro$oft's, and they leave a mess behind like little children do.

    I would not hesitate to delete everything related to QuickBooks installed under
    the Program Files folder. As for the registry, I'd leave the cleanup to the
    good registry cleanup tool.

    Compared to Windows 98, the XP registry is structured more or less the same, but
    it has specific sections for each user ID in the system, and it seems to create
    an on-the-fly section (more than one?) representing the currently logged in
    user... Ben Myers

    Steve wrote:
    >Try RegCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    >I have never had a problem with it.
    >It has automatic registry backup feature.
    Ageed!!!
    Should fix your problem easily.
    Use this program regularly on many systems with no
    problems.
    Dave

    You make some good points Ben, as usual. I think the more responsible
    software vendors secretly harbor the same fear and loathing of the registry,
    so in their uninstall routines they touch the registry only as absolutely
    necessary.

    Ted Zieglar

    > You are being TOO charitable. "erring on the side of >safety." Hah!
    First,
    > Micro$oft created a world-class horror show with the registry, its
    organization,
    > its entirely cryptic nature, and its needless complexity. Next, some
    software
    > writers are able to slog through the registry quagmire, and leave the
    registry
    > in a somewhat clean state. Yes, there are some entries left behind, but
    there
    > are not a lot of them. Other software writers are just as incompetent as
    > Micro$oft's, and they leave a mess behind like little children do.
    >
    > I would not hesitate to delete everything related to QuickBooks installed
    under
    > the Program Files folder. As for the registry, I'd leave the cleanup to
    the
    > good registry cleanup tool.
    >
    > Compared to Windows 98, the XP registry is structured more or less the
    same, but
    > it has specific sections for each user ID in the system, and it seems to
    create
    > an on-the-fly section (more than one?) representing the currently logged
    in
    > user... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:33:24 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    > >Yes, you probably will. It's not a good idea to go rummaging through your
    > >hard disk or registry to delete stuff.
    > >
    > >For help in removing QuickBooks contact Intuit - they wrote the software
    and
    > >provided it to Dell.
    > >
    > >Speaking very generally: Uninstalling software does not necessarily
    remove
    > >everything that was installed, particularly in the registry. This is
    > >probably intentional, in that the uninstall routine is erring on the side
    of
    > >safety. Better to leave behind keys that won't affect your computer than
    > >take the risk of damaging a user's registry.
    > >
    > >Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > ><joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >>I used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of QuickBooks on my new Dell,
    > >> but I see there is a ton more that Intuit garbage still on my drive
    > >> that does not show up in the Add/Remove Programs.
    > >>
    > >> There is also a boatload of Intuit junk still in the registry of XP
    > >> Pro.
    > >>
    > >> Will I run into a problem if I manually delete it all from my drive
    > >> and registry?

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >You make some good points Ben, as usual. I think the more responsible
    >software vendors secretly harbor the same fear and loathing of the registry,
    >so in their uninstall routines they touch the registry only as absolutely
    >necessary.

    A third practice common with Intuit, Symantec, and many other S/W
    publishing empires is that when you install the first, and only,
    program you buy from them, they create a "shared" folder, to hold
    "common" *.dlls and other elements used by all
    Intuit/Symantec/etc programs you might eventually decide to
    purchase, on the C:\ drive, no matter where you install the
    program itself. These shared files, and their attendant registry
    pointers, are often not removed when you change your mind and
    uninstall the sole program you bought.

    In my case when removing that sole program I got from whoever, I
    just delete that shared folder and its files. Then rely on my
    regular run of my registry checker program to ID those now
    orphaned registry entries, and present me with the option to
    delete them.
    --
    OJ III

    Ah yes, and isn't that a double edged sword? Symantec sank many hooks deep
    into my system, which in and of itself wasn't the worst thing...but then
    they decided that it will no longer be possible to upgrade most (if not all)
    of their Norton-branded software without first uninstalling every last one
    of those hooks in a protracted serious of complicated and tedious
    procedures. (Symantec's knowledge base estimates it will take approximately
    30 minutes to completely uninstall Norton Antivirus.)

    And even then you may not be out of the woods. For example, the names of
    toolbars in Internet Explorer (View > Toolbars) were replaced with blanks
    after I uninstalled NAV following Symantec's instructions. That was the
    final straw for me. After year's of being an ardent supporter and defender
    of Norton products I have banned them from my system. With the exception of
    Ghost, which doesn't sink any hooks, and even then, once True Image aquires
    some of the features I like in Ghost, Symantec is personna non grata.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >You make some good points Ben, as usual. I think the more responsible
    > >software vendors secretly harbor the same fear and loathing of the
    registry,
    > >so in their uninstall routines they touch the registry only as absolutely
    > >necessary.
    >
    > A third practice common with Intuit, Symantec, and many other S/W
    > publishing empires is that when you install the first, and only,
    > program you buy from them, they create a "shared" folder, to hold
    > "common" *.dlls and other elements used by all
    > Intuit/Symantec/etc programs you might eventually decide to
    > purchase, on the C:\ drive, no matter where you install the
    > program itself. These shared files, and their attendant registry
    > pointers, are often not removed when you change your mind and
    > uninstall the sole program you bought.
    >
    > In my case when removing that sole program I got from whoever, I
    > just delete that shared folder and its files. Then rely on my
    > regular run of my registry checker program to ID those now
    > orphaned registry entries, and present me with the option to
    > delete them.
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >And even then you may not be out of the woods. For example, the names of
    >toolbars in Internet Explorer (View > Toolbars) were replaced with blanks
    >after I uninstalled NAV following Symantec's instructions. That was the
    >final straw for me. After year's of being an ardent supporter and defender
    >of Norton products I have banned them from my system. With the exception of
    >Ghost, which doesn't sink any hooks, and even then, once True Image aquires
    >some of the features I like in Ghost, Symantec is personna non grata.

    Peter Norton must be having apoplexy/spinning in the grave over
    what Symantec has done with the programs carrying his name over
    the years since they bought him out.

    [Spinning in the grave, since he may well be dead - otherwise,
    unless senile, he certainly would have long since sued to get his
    name taken off anything connected with Symantec.]
    --
    OJ III

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:17:54 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
    <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>And even then you may not be out of the woods. For example, the names of
    >>toolbars in Internet Explorer (View > Toolbars) were replaced with blanks
    >>after I uninstalled NAV following Symantec's instructions. That was the
    >>final straw for me. After year's of being an ardent supporter and defender
    >>of Norton products I have banned them from my system. With the exception of
    >>Ghost, which doesn't sink any hooks, and even then, once True Image aquires
    >>some of the features I like in Ghost, Symantec is personna non grata.
    >
    >Peter Norton must be having apoplexy/spinning in the grave over
    >what Symantec has done with the programs carrying his name over
    >the years since they bought him out.
    >
    >[Spinning in the grave, since he may well be dead - otherwise,
    >unless senile, he certainly would have long since sued to get his
    >name taken off anything connected with Symantec.]

    Even after I had used ADD/REMOVE to uninstall the Intuit junk, there
    still remained enough on the machine that continually prompted me to
    put Dell's CD in the drive and reinstall QuickBooks. How about that
    for gall?

    I manually deleted the damn folders and then scoured the registry for
    all Intuit happenings - and there were *plenty* of them, which I
    promptly deleted.

    Does

    How about all the stuff in the registry you don't know about, like all those
    CLSID hex numbers, and libraries in the Windows folder that don't
    immediately look like they came from Intuit? And what happens when, months
    from now, something on your computer starts acting weird and you can't
    figure out why?

    And as long as you're intent on going it 'your way': Windows ships with
    thousands of registry keys that you'll probably never use - why not get rid
    of them too?

    Ted Zieglar

    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:17:54 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
    > <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>And even then you may not be out of the woods. For example, the names of
    > >>toolbars in Internet Explorer (View > Toolbars) were replaced with
    blanks
    > >>after I uninstalled NAV following Symantec's instructions. That was the
    > >>final straw for me. After year's of being an ardent supporter and
    defender
    > >>of Norton products I have banned them from my system. With the exception
    of
    > >>Ghost, which doesn't sink any hooks, and even then, once True Image
    aquires
    > >>some of the features I like in Ghost, Symantec is personna non grata.
    > >
    > >Peter Norton must be having apoplexy/spinning in the grave over
    > >what Symantec has done with the programs carrying his name over
    > >the years since they bought him out.
    > >
    > >[Spinning in the grave, since he may well be dead - otherwise,
    > >unless senile, he certainly would have long since sued to get his
    > >name taken off anything connected with Symantec.]
    >
    > Even after I had used ADD/REMOVE to uninstall the Intuit junk, there
    > still remained enough on the machine that continually prompted me to
    > put Dell's CD in the drive and reinstall QuickBooks. How about that
    > for gall?
    >
    > I manually deleted the damn folders and then scoured the registry for
    > all Intuit happenings - and there were *plenty* of them, which I
    > promptly deleted.
    >
    > Does

    I think Peter is still alive and well, living off a perpetual annuity from
    Symantec for dragging his name though the mud... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:17:54 -0400, Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>And even then you may not be out of the woods. For example, the names of
    >>toolbars in Internet Explorer (View > Toolbars) were replaced with blanks
    >>after I uninstalled NAV following Symantec's instructions. That was the
    >>final straw for me. After year's of being an ardent supporter and defender
    >>of Norton products I have banned them from my system. With the exception of
    >>Ghost, which doesn't sink any hooks, and even then, once True Image aquires
    >>some of the features I like in Ghost, Symantec is personna non grata.
    >
    >Peter Norton must be having apoplexy/spinning in the grave over
    >what Symantec has done with the programs carrying his name over
    >the years since they bought him out.
    >
    >[Spinning in the grave, since he may well be dead - otherwise,
    >unless senile, he certainly would have long since sued to get his
    >name taken off anything connected with Symantec.]
    >--
    >OJ III
    >[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    >Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    Would that I could be dirtied with such mud.

    Ted Zieglar

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >I think Peter is still alive and well, living off a perpetual annuity from
    >Symantec for dragging his name though the mud... Ben Myers

    I hope that's true - the still alive part, the less said about
    Symantec the better. His utilities [when they *were* Peter
    Norton's this and that] saved my a** dozens of times in the Bad
    Old DOS Days.

    Alas, Symantec has taken some and bloated the heck out of them,
    whether playing with existing code or adding useless new
    "features", and discarded others because they couldn't dumb them
    down enough for the average new AOL/WebTV refugee.
    --
    OJ III

    Ogden Johnson III wrote:
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>And even then you may not be out of the woods. For example, the names of
    >>toolbars in Internet Explorer (View > Toolbars) were replaced with blanks
    >>after I uninstalled NAV following Symantec's instructions. That was the
    >>final straw for me. After year's of being an ardent supporter and defender
    >>of Norton products I have banned them from my system. With the exception of
    >>Ghost, which doesn't sink any hooks, and even then, once True Image aquires
    >>some of the features I like in Ghost, Symantec is personna non grata.
    >

    > Peter Norton must be having apoplexy/spinning in the grave over
    > what Symantec has done with the programs carrying his name over
    > the years since they bought him out.
    >
    > [Spinning in the grave, since he may well be dead - otherwise,
    > unless senile, he certainly would have long since sued to get his
    > name taken off anything connected with Symantec.]

    Doubt it - Symantec bought the Norton name (the one really valuable item
    in the deal).

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:52:20 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >How about all the stuff in the registry you don't know about, like all those
    >CLSID hex numbers, and libraries in the Windows folder that don't
    >immediately look like they came from Intuit? And what happens when, months
    >from now, something on your computer starts acting weird and you can't
    >figure out why?
    >
    >And as long as you're intent on going it 'your way': Windows ships with
    >thousands of registry keys that you'll probably never use - why not get rid
    >of them too?
    >
    >Ted Zieglar

    I think you have a bad anger problem, sonny.

    But then, that's why they made Agent with kill filtering capability --

    PLONK!

Dell Registry Computers