Restore function inop.

Home Edition on a Sony LT. Tried to use system restore and got a
screen that said restore unsuccessful. Also all past restore points
have disappeared.

brody
3 answers Last reply
More about restore function inop

    Hi

    That error message would suggest that one or more of the System Restore
    files have become corrupt. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
    lose all existing checkpoints:

    Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
    'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
    SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
    you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "brody" <joe_brody@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Home Edition on a Sony LT. Tried to use system restore and got a
    > screen that said restore unsuccessful. Also all past restore points
    > have disappeared.
    >
    > brody

    Hi Brody,

    Loosing restore points could be caused by low disk space.
    If the free space on any partition system restore is monitoring falls
    below 50MB, System Restore will SUSPEND & PURGE all restore points to
    free up disk space.
    I would suggest stopping System Restore form monitoring any
    drives/partitions other than the one Windows is installed on.

    Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

    Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
    the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
    the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
    information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
    two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
    System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:32:00 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >That error message would suggest that one or more of the System Restore
    >files have become corrupt. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
    >lose all existing checkpoints:
    >
    >Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
    >'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
    >SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
    >you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.

    That fixed it--thanks.

    brody

Support Microsoft System Restore Windows XP