my system just crashed...giving the error that the file:
c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupted.

I tried the solution given at :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 but the steps
that I am supposed to carry out dont work..

When I enter the command 'copy c:\windows\system32\config\system
c:\windows\tmp\system.bak' , it just says file cannot be copied. What should
i do?

Do a Repair setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson