Steam You and your Graphics card

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
If you want to run the Steam Network on any Nvidia graphics cards at the moment the only driver supporting that software is the 81.84 xp drivers package. Located for download at the Nvidia website.

If you cannot get the splash screen to start... right click on the game in question and set it to -window mode Properties/launch options..

Even if your card supports DX9.0c it probably cannot run the Steam Source engine correctly in that format as the cards were manufactured prior to the Source Engine release.

Use -dxlevel 81 as an alternative and then perhaps you will be able to run without the -window mode and in full screen. Alternatively to get a slight performance increase from the Games recommended settings change them all to lowest settings. There is really nothing much to look at in the source engine interesting in DX9.0c other then the BLOOM effect Steam is trying. Very nice looking at things such as sunlight coming down through rafters in HL2 with dust particles in it. Or running from a dark area into a lighted area where your eye's so to speak must adjust. Blooming effect.

Both ATI and Nvidia had corruption problems more so with the Nv4.dll drivers, and ATI although ran from day one on the source engine gamers online all complain that their frames per second is very poor on ATI.

Nvidia cards right up to the top of the line versions are all running poorly in the Steam Source Engine environment. This is indicated by the fact that a AGP BFG 6200 OC 256MB graphics card will produce the same fps as a BFG AGP 6800 OC. Everyone runs around at about 24 fps in combat regardless of what manufactures card you are using, with an average fps of 50 to 80. You can see fps +100 if you walk up close to a wall and stare at it....hardly usable in a first person shooter.

Steam will produce updates to patch the datacache.dll error as soon as possible however the only fix right now you can do is to DELETE the "Materials" folder out of the DoD or CS or HL folder if that game is causing the issue. Basically what the datacache.dll error is, is not a fault of the Graphics card or your computer. It is a Server problem or more to the point the server you are trying to connect to has not properly updated THEIR software and they are in conflict with your full and complete steam install.

After you delete the Materials folder and gain access to the server in question it will cache information into your .dll files that will remain. Later you can re-make a Materials folder and not see the reoccurrence of the datacache.dll error on that particular server. Repeat if necessary for other servers or as I do delete the Materials folder as it is empty or not present at Steam Installation.

If you are running an nForce motherboard or VIA chip-based motherboard and you AUTO RE-BOOT trying to launch any of the Steam games running the Source Engine Half Life2; Day Of Defeat or Counter Strike the problem is yet again not a Software problem with your operating system or your graphics card hardware.

XP has a built in protection system that auto re-boots your OS if it comes across a complete hardware/software conflict. In the past you would sit there staring at a blue screen in Win98 or 2000 and the OS would simply wait for you to hit the re-set button. You can disable this auto re-start in XP but I am not going to mention how to everyone. If you need it bad PM me. Besides any information displayed on a blue screen is reported in the XP Error reporting service verbatim so if you miss what is displayed because of the auto re-boot just open that service up and read the crash information there. Error reporting in XP will also give a detailed description of a blue screen until you close that application.

The Source Engine conflict that causes the XP auto re-start is solved simply by installing the 81.84 xp Graphics drivers that has a workaround for the problem.

For ATI users you do not have a end user workaround yet and are stuck trying the -window option in the games launch properties.

If you play on Steam do not purchase any graphics card currently available as NONE of them have the chips on them to render the source engine. We will all have to wait for a next generation graphics card from both ATI and Nvidia that are supplemented in order to address the demands of the Steam source engine. P.S SLI technology (PCIe) currently available do not have the hardware on chip either so don't go there.

2006 Cards will be delayed I am sure as both ATI and Nvidia deal with this issue. Steam remember released their source engine to the world without even testing it with Nvidia and ATI cards in whole or there would not have been 10 thousand WTF is going on posts at the Steam forums.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")
<font color=green>So far</font color=green> <font color=blue>God has missed</font color=blue> <font color=red>Canada.</font color=red>

You can disable this auto re-start in XP but I am not going to mention how to everyone.
1. Right-click My Computer. (Or hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break.)

2. Click on the Advanced tab.

3. Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery.

4. Remove the check-mark from the box labelled "Automatically Restart" under System failure.

5. Click Ok.

There. Now you can stare at the blue screen instead of having the computer reboot automatically.

:tongue:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
GPU's hardware updated to correctly operate under DX9.....The claims that were made prior were of course full O [-peep-] that's why Valve went ahead and released its software in DX9.0c version.

What better way to make GPU developers honest......

Hell I have an my old Voodoo4 PCI card plugged into the last PCI slot on my motherboard running a second monitor just so I can have more desk space and run monitoring software I can see when I am into a game online.

It can even open the source engine set to dxlevel 7.0. So where has all the technology gone that graphics manufacturers have been spewing out their blow holes in regards to leaps and bounds in technology.......No where it has not really changed for end users in 5 years. Same [-peep-] different story.

I am kind of happy about the fact that Steam/Valve released their new source engine as I said it's going to make the GPU's developers and card manufacturers honest.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")
<font color=green>So far</font color=green> <font color=blue>God has missed</font color=blue> <font color=red>Canada.</font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Gee... It was awfully nice of you to explain to everyone (new users) how to turn off a Windows XP fail safe that protects users computers from real hardware failures.

If you are running the Steam Source engine and need this work around use it at your own risk. As for other real hardware problems you could be having please don't disable that option in XP or you could be into the wallet for hardware replacement, when all you needed was a proper driver.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I am curious what system spec's are you running ? I know of many yes that have no problems running Steam Source out of the box so to speak.

It would be interesting to know your system hardware spec's.

Aida32 can be downloaded free at <A HREF="http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html" target="_new">http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html</A>

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
That's not fair in this case Wusy lots of people having trouble online and we have been helping them out. All the information I provided is now posted on the Steam forums but we have found these particular solutions DO WORK over other things that do not and only complicate matters.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

Gee... It was awfully nice of you to explain to everyone (new users) how to turn off a Windows XP fail safe that protects users computers from real hardware failures.

SoD, you were amusing at one time, but such blantant idiocy cannot be ignored.

This does <b>NOT</b> protect users from <b>ANYTHING</b>. All it does is allow the user to actually see what the hell that stupid blue screen is saying before it disappears in the blink of an eye. If you can see what the actual error is, that is an enormous aid in actually fixing the problem. All you have to do once you've seen the screen is push the reset button or power off then on again. (For those without the reset button).

It's in no way a "fail safe". It doesn't protect you from any sort of failure whatsoever. All it does is reboot the computer automatically when Windows decides to take a dump for whatever reason. At least with it disable, it's easier to troubleshoot the problem... especially if it's one that constantly re-occurs.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Zoron you are wrong again I am afraid on 2 counts.

(1) You do not need as I have already said need to see the actual blue screen because any blue screen generated is reported exactly as it read in the MS error reporting. EXACTLY the same. To prove that I use my digital camera and filmed the crash on an auto reboot played it back in WMP and paused it to read the blue screen. In fact the MS error reporting tool reports exactly what is displayed on the blue screen AND with even more information. So no you do not need to read a blue screen when the computer is frozen and two you can do allot more when your not frozen and able to read the error report and browse the net for a fix.

(2) When a computer goes into a hard lock blue screen for a Fatal Hardware/Software issue you in fact can damage very seriously your hardware, it is no longer correctly controlling voltage levels across the whole motherboard. Your graphics card could over volt or your CPU. The system is frozen your FSB is frozen get it!!

Perhaps you need to know what you are talking about before you start spewing garbage.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

I know what I'm talking about dude... it's you that spreads FUD. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were Fugger posting under a different name.

(2) When a computer goes into a hard lock blue screen for a Fatal Hardware/Software issue you in fact can damage very seriously your hardware, it is no longer correctly controlling voltage levels across the whole motherboard. Your graphics card could over volt or your CPU. The system is frozen your FSB is frozen get it!!

You know SoD, I really don't know if you're trying to be funny, trolling or are really this stupid. Windows does NOT control the voltages to ANYTHING! That's what all that sophisticated circuitry on your motherboard and power supply does. If what you suggest were in fact true, then there would be a lot of computers out there with a lot of blown components, because believe me, as a tech... I've seen a lot of blue screens. Some have been on overnight. Funny how none of them 'overvolted'.

(1) You do not need as I have already said need to see the actual blue screen because any blue screen generated is reported exactly as it read in the MS error reporting. EXACTLY the same.

Wrong again. All it does is say "Windows has recovered from a serious error... blah blah blah...". It doesn't give you the same type of info the blue screen does.

It makes me physically ill to think that you may actually be in a position to give anyone technical advice. At least most of the regulars have learned to ignore your ramblings... too bad I can't say the same for new users. Remember what I said... you post bullshit... and I'll be there to correct you. You can argue until you're blue in the face... but I KNOW I'm right and anything you say won't change that.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
When a computer goes into a hard lock blue screen for a Fatal Hardware/Software issue you in fact can damage very seriously your hardware, it is no longer correctly controlling voltage levels across the whole motherboard. Your graphics card could over volt or your CPU. The system is frozen your FSB is frozen get it!!

WTF??? Somebody's trippin !!!!

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
eVGA 6800GT
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

No doubt.

But despite my 15 years of experience of actually servicing computers; somehow he's right and I'm wrong. [/sarcasm]

Like I said, I am unsure if he's serious or if he's making crap up just to get under someone's skin. Anyone that knows anything about computers knows that he is wrong... yet somehow he will insist he's right... yet he is unable to produce any evidence of his technical "prowess".

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Yet again another minor computer tech without a brain fart of his own does not understand a thing about computers.

You are dead wrong on both counts and the next time you get a blue screen and compare the information you will know it.

The operating system on some integrated systems is very much controlled by the software at the desktop and Windows XP will even report in certain situations that it is shutting down your computer to prevent hardware damage.

You will learn if you are in fact any where near certified as a computer tech the reality of how a computer functions.

It's to bloody bad your servicing other peoples computers when you have never even taken an advanced computer engineering course.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
This post was about Steam and how to fix it and not about Zorons minor fundamental ability's in regards to computers or his choice to try and sway the topic of the thread.

SCUSI, Raid, ATA/IDE Motherboard drives; Graphics card frequency settings what do you think happens to those drivers when the computer is in a hard lock/blue screen ?

Do you think they are getting correct frequency control setting at that point ? Exactly they are not they are sitting there frozen or spooling or you are in some cases listening to the onboard audio chip send a nasty squeal through the system speakers or the monitor refresh rate gone to hell....Of course there is built in hardware protection, but they are subject to the same laws as anything else they need instructions to run and if they are sent the wrong information...

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
maybe you're both wrong...hahahahahahahh. Steam gives me a headache. i reinstalled it all, it has worked fine for a few days, and then it started kicking off steam and autobooting my
computer. it sucks. hey, SoD, the error in steam that you are talking about, does it give you a memory error message too? mine does. i don't wanna do anything until im sure i have the same problem that you are addressing.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
]-[ello Dresden I hope you read about the flaw in the Steam Source engine that causes Nvidia based graphics cards to auto re-boot your computer.

Nvidia at their own cost and time released a major n4v.dll driver update to the 81.84 driver, therefore patching a workaround for the Steam Source engine flaw.
If you have an nForce 1,2,3 motherboard your re-boot problem is even worse until you patch your system with the update driver.

You can also with an nForce 1,2 motherboard install the 5.10 motherboard drivers also located at the Nvidia website.

There is also a sound issue with Steam. Set your system integrated sound to 2 speakers or head phones only. This is also a work around for the auto re-boot cycle problem. If you want to prove you are possibly having the Steam Audio re-boot problem due to sound driver incompatibility simply set the onboard audio to disabled in the system BIOS and then go back tot he desktop and re-launch Steam.

Everyone says get the latest driver and all your problems will go away and this is simply not the case at all. It's not bad advice by any means you should always install the latest driver for your hardware the problem is there ARE NO latest drivers that work with Steam for many hardware devices they have not been written yet!!

Thank Nvidia for getting their guys to produce a viable workaround driver in less then 3 days. Yep three days after the flaw was discovered the new 81.84 driver was available. That was 2 days after I called BFG to talk to them about this problem. BFG was not even aware that 12 hours prior to my call that the Steam Source engine was crashing Nvidia GPU's all over the planet upon it's release.

If you are crashing again just reload your drivers they have become corrupted through no fault of your own...Steam is updating in the background all the time, and or you got slow admin hacked in some server because you were playing to well and had good scores, happens all the time if your not a friend or clan member of the server you are playing on. Pay Pal Donations to server owners almost invariable clear that type of admin abuse up rather quickly but don't be surprised if you join some server where they don't know you and you start running around capping all the flags and killing everything that moves if your software gets corrupted. That is the Nature Of the Beast online.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

pauldh

Illustrious
Is this a new problem? Caused by a recent steam update? I've played HL2 through twice and some CS:source (not recently though) with a NF3U mobo and 6800U and didn't have issues. Currently I don't have steam run at startup and have been too into BF2 to bother trying. Just curious as I never heard/saw any issues before with Steam and NV cards/chipsets. Would CS:source cause my system to reboot now, or If I just log onto steam, am I going to see issues now? You've got me curious, just not curious enought to frig up my system testing it. :eek:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

I think its admirable that you would share what you've learned about this issue with Steam, but how this thread got a little off course and now has a little misinformation in it, has my curiosity up.

Giving you the opportunity to thoroughly explain yourself with some links please to backup your claims, how is the post below disabling any failsafes?

1. Right-click My Computer. (Or hold down the Windows key and press Pause/Break.)

2. Click on the Advanced tab.

3. Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery.

4. Remove the check-mark from the box labelled "Automatically Restart" under System failure.

5. Click Ok.

There. Now you can stare at the blue screen instead of having the computer reboot automatically.

And how can the XP operating system affect voltages preset in the BIOS?

We're not all as smart as you! So please calm down and explain how an Operating System can control preset CMOS M/B voltages, I've searched Microsoft for a couple of hours looking for links to back your claims, to give you the benefit of the doubt and cannot find them, but you probably know exactly where they are so please post them. Thanks

<b><font color=blue>"I wonder what was going through Custers mind when he realized he'd led his men into a slaughter?"</font color=blue>
<font color=red>"Sir! Custer was a pussy! You Ain't!"</font color=red></b>

But despite my 15 years of experience of actually servicing computers; somehow he's right and I'm wrong.
It appears that you are fairly new here but your experience would only bring you up to a grade 8 education level in SoDs eyes!

If you don't change your attitude you're going to piss SoD off, he's going to leave and you're not going to learn anything, be patient and learn! :smile:

<b><font color=blue>"I wonder what was going through Custers mind when he realized he'd led his men into a slaughter?"</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, hey Sod, I hate to mention this, but why do my CPU's always get COLD following a system freeze...if the voltage is suddenly putting them in danger?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
You don't need to frig up your system P just go read the info at the Steam News/tech support site. Or any of the user posts in the forums.

Perhaps you had drivers and hardware that did not conflict with the source engine. You are one of the few that were lucky in that regard. nForce3 MoB board is of course more advanced then a 1 or 2.

If you are still curious just open up CS and run the graphics benchmark on high settings and see what your fps are. It will report it at the end of the test or you can enable the in game console I am sure you know in the games properties ( -console )

If in fact Steam reports that you are not using the latest drivers for your Graphics card it will display that message in a green text box in the middle of the game screen.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
You know better or should..15 years call me back in another 15.

|(\__/)
|(='.'=)
(")§øÐ(")

ROFL Older and Wiser I guess! Way to Go SoD! :smile:

What are you doing up here anyway?

You know you're not supposed to leave the Other Section! :smile: