Starting May 4, .25 per extra minute on postpaid

I didn't see mention of it on here, so I figure either you all know
about it or haven't gotten the notice yet.

Yet another reason to cancel (I already did a while ago - yay me).
17 answers Last reply
More about starting extra minute postpaid

    Two words: Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobile.ca/)

    --
    I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.

    Website? TTYL

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:22:56 -0400, sbdot wrote:

    > I didn't see mention of it on here, so I figure either you all know about
    > it or haven't gotten the notice yet.
    >
    > Yet another reason to cancel (I already did a while ago - yay me).

    If they start accepting old Bell Mobility phone activation (I have an
    old motorola st8767w handy), then I'm there. I don't want to buy one of
    their useless phones.

    DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    > Two words: Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobile.ca/)

    I am considering Virgin as well. Would it be cheaper than postpaid with
    Fido?

    --
    * Remove the "e" in my email address to reply privately.

    ->I'm looking for part-time/casual "CASH" jobs.
    ->Please email me the details of the job
    ->and your contact information.

    In message <Xns96416948ECF14mydogfacenippyshawca@24.70.95.211> Mason
    Storm <publicemailbox@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Two words: Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobile.ca/)
    >
    >I am considering Virgin as well. Would it be cheaper than postpaid with
    >Fido?

    It depends on how many minutes you're using -- If you rarely use the
    phone, then yes -- You're looking at a minimum investment of $15/6
    months, or $2.50/month.

    You won't get much cheaper then that.

    However, if you're using a lot of minutes you can probably do better
    elsewhere. I don't know enough about Fido's rate plans to know if Fido
    is an option or not.

    --
    My news reader can beat up your news reader

    Mason Storm wrote:

    > DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Two words: Virgin Mobile (http://www.virginmobile.ca/)
    >
    > I am considering Virgin as well. Would it be cheaper than postpaid with
    > Fido?

    Fido postpaid is still cheaper.

    And remember, while this rate increase is despicable and truly worthy of
    Rogers, it only applies when you exceed your monthly plan minutes. So
    for most folks, it won't result in a rate increase.

    Also, with Virgin, you don't have GSM, you don't have GPRS etc etc.

    Rogers knows excatly how far up it can jack Fido rates and still make
    Fido cheaper than itself and Bell, and unfortunatly, as long as Fido is
    still cheaper then BelL/Telus/Virgin (which is really Bell), then
    logically you should stay with Fido, despite all the steam/anger at Rogers.

    At least this has happened after Cingular told Rogers to get lost and
    stop using the AT&T brand. Otherwise, we'd be "Fido AT&T" :-) :-) :-)

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > And remember, while this rate increase is despicable and truly worthy of
    > Rogers, it only applies when you exceed your monthly plan minutes. So
    > for most folks, it won't result in a rate increase.

    Actually, it's a combined effort. Have you noticed that Fido's included
    daytime minutes have been on the decline (the $30 plan used to have 150
    minutes, now it has 100, City Fido has gone from unlimited local minutes
    to a few hundred...). And remember that prepaid includes call id and
    voicemail. A 'basic' 20/200 plan with these options would now come out
    to 20.00 + 6.95 + .25 + 8.00 + GST/PST= 40.48. That's just a little
    more than 20 cents per min on postpaid. If you use any more, you pay 25
    cents per min. If you use less, none of your minutes are forwarded to
    the next month. Taking all of this into account, you are more likely to
    be at least as well off on a plan such as Virgin Mobile's.

    Also, the point about instant messaging - it's now available on every
    network, not just gsm.

    It's not on their site for some reason. My friend showed me these two
    inserts he received with his last (and it will be his 'last') bill. One
    was the notice of the rate hike as of May 4 and the other was an apology
    for the network outages. "We're sorry for screwing you over the last
    few months... so we're jacking up your rates! Thanks for your
    understanding."

    repatch wrote:
    > Website? TTYL
    >
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:22:56 -0400, sbdot wrote:
    >

    >>I didn't see mention of it on here, so I figure either you all know about
    >>it or haven't gotten the notice yet.
    >>
    >>Yet another reason to cancel (I already did a while ago - yay me).

    Can you give more details? What's an "extra minute" on prepaid? There are
    no set number of minutes you have a month, "extra minutes" usually refers
    to postpaid packages.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:35:14 -0400, sbdot wrote:

    > It's not on their site for some reason. My friend showed me these two
    > inserts he received with his last (and it will be his 'last') bill. One
    > was the notice of the rate hike as of May 4 and the other was an apology
    > for the network outages. "We're sorry for screwing you over the last few
    > months... so we're jacking up your rates! Thanks for your understanding."
    >
    > repatch wrote:
    >> Website? TTYL
    >>
    >> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:22:56 -0400, sbdot wrote:
    >>

    >>>I didn't see mention of it on here, so I figure either you all know
    >>>about it or haven't gotten the notice yet.
    >>>
    >>>Yet another reason to cancel (I already did a while ago - yay me).

    Read the title of the thread.

    repatch wrote:
    > Can you give more details? What's an "extra minute" on prepaid? There are
    > no set number of minutes you have a month, "extra minutes" usually refers
    > to postpaid packages.
    >
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:35:14 -0400, sbdot wrote:

    Umm, I did:

    "Re: Starting May 4, .25 per extra minute on postpaid"

    Please define "extra minute"? Are you saying EVERY minute is $0.25 more??

    Thanks, TTYL

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:37:00 -0400, sbdot wrote:

    > Read the title of the thread.
    >
    > repatch wrote:
    >> Can you give more details? What's an "extra minute" on prepaid? There
    >> are no set number of minutes you have a month, "extra minutes" usually
    >> refers to postpaid packages.
    >>
    >> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:35:14 -0400, sbdot wrote:

    DevilsPGD <ihatespam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

    > It depends on how many minutes you're using -- If you rarely use the
    > phone, then yes -- You're looking at a minimum investment of $15/6
    > months, or $2.50/month.
    >
    > You won't get much cheaper then that.
    >
    > However, if you're using a lot of minutes you can probably do better
    > elsewhere. I don't know enough about Fido's rate plans to know if
    > Fido is an option or not.

    I bought the wife one (Virgin phone) today. I think it will be great.
    Top-up every 120 days is fantastic. As Fido starts getting less and
    less, I may even consider getting it too.

    --

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    > Also, with Virgin, you don't have GSM, you don't have GPRS etc etc.

    I could care less about GSM. I am want decent minutes for a decent price.
    Unfortunately, I am in the wrong country. Chinese guy today told me that in
    Hong Kong, you can get like 1000 minutes for $25. Nice.

    --
    * Remove the "e" in my email address to reply privately.

    ->I'm looking for part-time/casual "CASH" jobs.
    ->Please email me the details of the job
    ->and your contact information.

    sbdot <sbdot@mailandnews.com> wrote:

    > to 20.00 + 6.95 + .25 + 8.00 + GST/PST= 40.48. That's just a little

    Does anyone know what is happening with the class action lawsuite in
    regards to the SAF bullcrap??

    --

    repatch wrote:
    > Umm, I did:
    >
    > "Re: Starting May 4, .25 per extra minute on postpaid"
    >
    > Please define "extra minute"?
    Fido calls them additional minutes

    Are you saying EVERY minute is $0.25 more??

    No, the rate is .25, not .25 more

    repatch wrote:

    > Umm, I did:
    >
    > "Re: Starting May 4, .25 per extra minute on postpaid"
    >
    > Please define "extra minute"? Are you saying EVERY minute is $0.25 more??

    postpaid gives you a certain number of minutes per month. For instance,
    the 26.96 package (advertised as $20 package) giving you 200 minutes.
    If you exceed those minutes, additional minutes were billed at 0.20 per
    minute, now it appears they will be billed at $0.25

    Umm, nevermind, for some reason I had "prepaid" stuck on my mind...

    Sorry about that.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:29:55 -0400, repatch wrote:

    > Umm, I did:
    >
    > "Re: Starting May 4, .25 per extra minute on postpaid"
    >
    > Please define "extra minute"? Are you saying EVERY minute is $0.25 more??
    >
    > Thanks, TTYL
    >
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:37:00 -0400, sbdot wrote:
    >
    >> Read the title of the thread.
    >>
    >> repatch wrote:
    >>> Can you give more details? What's an "extra minute" on prepaid? There
    >>> are no set number of minutes you have a month, "extra minutes" usually
    >>> refers to postpaid packages.
    >>>
    >>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:35:14 -0400, sbdot wrote:

Fido Internet Service Providers