genesisofthesith

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
I am looking into building a new pc, to complement a 6 month old store bought pc (a packard bell imedia 5094). I am fine with setting up the hardware, but how exactly would I install Windows xp onto the new hard disk, would I need to install ide controllers etc. before using a cd/dvd drive? Would windows auto install off a disk? And what security measures would stop me using an existing copy of windows xp or a copied disk? Thanks in advance to any help you could give a complete novice like me.

Be very specific in what you want to do, and what Windows installation disk you have or do you have a restore disk, you said a 6m old Packard Bell, did you mean a 6m old Hewlett Packard, I thought Hewlett Packard bought out Packard Bell, or is the computer used, more details please.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

genesisofthesith

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
The computer is a packard bell, its a 2.53ghz imedia 4094. Packard Bell is still a brand name in the uk, and still release computers. This system only came with a restore disk, and as such would not be suitable for installing xp on a new system. I just want to know how you would install xp on a system, if you could suggest all the options that would be greatly appreciated.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
what you need is a bootable WIN98 disk.
Boot using that win98 disk.
Then if you have a cd of WINXP,
go to e:\i386\winnt.exe (for clean installs).

<font color=green>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELLS</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UP-SIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=green>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
maybe your hdd doesn't have yet any file systems.
If that's the case
* again using a WIN98 boot disk.
* a:
* fdisk.exe
* support for larger volumes (YES)
* select create a new logical primary partition (FAT32).
* apply
* just follow the instructions....
* then format (format c:)

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
umm... it'd be much better to just install straight from the XP CD.

If it's a retail CD, just do a straight install and you won't need your 98 disc. If it's an OEM CD, just do the same thing, and insert the 98 disc when it asks. It doesn't load anything from it, it just makes sure that you have one.

I'd recommend formatting with NTFS from the start, unless you'll need to access the disc with other operating systems. Of course there are those who would disagree with me... but for reliability and efficiency, I'd recommend NTFS.

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Once you've plugged all the component together and you can get the bios up and running by hittting delete on start up you are home and hosed. Check boot sequence in bios, put cd rom as first on boot sequence list. Then put windows cd in drive and restart your pc. Computer will atuomatically detect windows and start reading file for installation. Once that is done you willbe run though the formatting of your harddrive which is quite basic, use ntfs format as someone stated, also leave a litle space left over if you ever need to run a recovery program etc, like 100mb (leave a small partition). And from there its very straight forward, very easy indeed.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

G

No, you don't need to install any drivers before you install windows. Just make sure your cd/dvd drive is set to be the first boot device in your BIOS. Then, put the windows cd in and reboot your computer. Let windows do its thing from there.

If you can't boot from cd:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994" target="_new">Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks</A>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
sorry for the inconvenience. cause i was using a XP corporate cd (illegal copy). So what i always do to install xp on my pc, is to install WIN98se first before upgrading to WINXP Pro. And then SP1.

goblinking

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Even with XP Corporate, there's no need to install 98 first. You end up with legacy code and uninstall information and possible conflicts, which tend to cause slowdowns and instability, and even worse further down the line.

A clean install is always best, in my opinion. Either delete the Windows directory, or do a full reformat of the main partition.