Problems with ATI 9800PRO

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I have an ATI 9800PRO 128MB and i get green dots on my desktop when i move an iocn or application around. I have tested the monitor (sony 20.1 LCD) on another system and its fine. I have re-installed my OS (xp pro sp2) and the drivers and i still have this problem. Any ideas?
-Travis

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>
"What's another word for thesaurus?"
Steven Wright

Sounds like a common symptom when cards are dying. To be sure, post a screen shot please

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

GFofgaming

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2005
I had the same card. The problem looks pretty similar to once I had. It should be fixed by 2 ways:

1: Make sure the cable that you connect your card and the power supply is working properly.

2: It seams like the card is overheating, a good cooling is always a good thing. So far the best by price and performance is Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 1, if you are thinking of buying, make you get the 1, as this is the only model which will work with your card.

Hope that helps

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
How do i post a screen shot? i dont have any place to host the pic. I have only had the card about 11 months, should it be going this fast?

Steven Wright

imageshack.us

I had a harddrive die after 2 months, and two graphic cards die before a year of use.

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

Looks like a bad card. There should be major corruption if you try and run a 3D Game - Try that.

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
i dont play games, i have a few benchmarking tools would that work? i have aquamark3 and 3DMark05..

Steven Wright

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
well i just looked at the card again and the damn fan is not working.. So i guess the card is just getting to hot. any ideas as to how to fix this. its the stock ati fan that came on the card. its located in the middle of the heat sink

Steven Wright

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
well i got the stock crap fan going again, and most of the green dots are gone but if i move the window around slow i still get some trailing dots. Do you think a better heat sink would take care of this or is the card tost?
Thanks again.

Steven Wright

Run 3D Mark and see how bad the corruption is.

mat128

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2005
Is your ATi card the real ATi brand of a subsidary such as Sapphire? If your card is a real ATi, just fill the online form for RMA, and send your card in for an RMA. The same exact case happened to my friend and I did the RMA for him. It took about 1-2 business days to receive the RMA number, allow a 2-3 business days for shipping to them and 1-2 business days for them to process the RMA and send you a new card. They shipped me the card using express shipping. If your card is a Sapphire-branded card, you have to contact Althon Tech (a link is available on sapphiretech.com). They will process an RMA for 25.00 CAD (at least that was the cost here in Canada).

I hope you end up getting a new card!

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
My card is a Sapphire. and it was bought from newegg.com on 3-9-05. I have never RMAed anything before. i cant seem to find anything on the sapphire site..

Steven Wright

^^^ As said above

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Thank you all for you help. I am going to contact newegg and RMA it ASAP.

Steven Wright