CPU and sli or crossfire

barnster706

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Hi all,

I tried finding comparisons or reviews and read a few pages into these forums but didn't find an answer to what I was looking for. I try to do my homework before asking the experts so as not to waste your time. (Hope that was enough buttering up)

My situation is this: I cannot afford to get the FX-55 or 57 series athlons. I am going with an Athlon 64 3200+ (san diego) and 2gb ocz titanium ram (2x1gb). Also, I am getting the Dell 2405fpw (that's why I can't afford the FX series).

I asked before if I could run the 7800GT dual card config SLI and the answer here was yes. But now that ATI is coming out with Crossfire and the x1k series, should I still purchase the 7800GT or is the 7800GTX really worth the extra $100 per card?

I look to run games in high resolution and with as much detail as possible. I like the dual 7800GTs because of the price and performance. Would it really be worth spending the extra money for either the 7800GTX's or ATI X1800 series if the CPU would be able to handle them?

Thanks

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
ATI has been screwing up lately with their releases. This means that is pretty hard to find a crossfire motherboard and who knows how long you would have to wait. If you dont want to play the waiting game with ATI, I would just go with what you suggested so far. I personally would stick with the GT instead of paying more for GTX. The GT still performs great and you always have the option of OC'ing it.

G

Can I ask why the Titanium ram? Its mor geared toward workstations and such...
I'd suggest Crucial Ballistix and or make sure the Ram is the EL part.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

barnster706

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
I looked up the titanium RAM because I want 2 1GB DIMMs and not 4 512MB. I read that 4 DIMMs are slower than 2. I want 2 GB of memory. The reason I chose titanium is because it appears to have the lowest CAS and is DDR400. There is platinum out there, perhaps I should use that instead?

Also, I used pricescan.com and pricegrabber.com for looking up groups of memory. Crucial had a 1gb DIMM at DDR333 and 2.5 cas, nothing better that I could find.

Also, from looking things up on pricescan.com, they show the actual name for the Athlons and I saw that they had a san diego chip as well.

On a side note, what other sites do people use for mass comparison of prices? Newegg.com is nice but they aren't always the cheapest.

Thanks

barnster706

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005
Sorry, I was wrong. I have so many numbers going through my head that I put the wrong number down. It is an Athlon 3700+.

Either way, regardless of memory (I think I will choose OCZ Platinum after all), I guess I will stick with the 7800 GTs because of price/performance unless anyone else has any other advice.

Thanks for the input though, I do appreciate it and that is why I frequent these boards over all others.