Help: Cannot write to Registry

June 28, 2005 6:38:24 PM

On one machine, running XP Pro SP2 with all updates, I cannot write
anything to the Registry at all. I've tried just adding my user name to the
Permissions with regedt32, and it just times out "Not responding" This
happened just a day or so ago on just one of four machines.

--
Walter B

More about : write registry

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:51:28 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

or Try a Repair setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Walter" <fake@antispam.add> wrote in message news:o 4N0TCBfFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On one machine, running XP Pro SP2 with all updates, I cannot write anything to the Registry at all. I've tried just adding my
> user name to the Permissions with regedt32, and it just times out "Not responding" This happened just a day or so ago on just one
> of four machines.
>
> --
> Walter B

June 29, 2005 8:41:42 PM

In news:%23wT$JlKfFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Mark L. Ferguson <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> typed:
> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
>
> or Try a Repair setup.
>
> If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version
> of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into a setup
> loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you
> Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
>> On one machine, running XP Pro SP2 with all updates, I cannot write
>> anything to the Registry at all. I've tried just adding my user
>> name to the Permissions with regedt32, and it just times out "Not
>> responding" This happened just a day or so ago on just one of four
>> machines. --
>> Walter B

Thanks, Mark. I think that fixed it.

--