Help: Cannot write to Registry

On one machine, running XP Pro SP2 with all updates, I cannot write
anything to the Registry at all. I've tried just adding my user name to the
Permissions with regedt32, and it just times out "Not responding" This
happened just a day or so ago on just one of four machines.

--
Walter B
2 answers Last reply

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

    or Try a Repair setup.

    If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)

    875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson

    In news:%23wT$JlKfFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Mark L. Ferguson <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> typed:
    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
    >
    > or Try a Repair setup.
    >
    > If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version
    > of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into a setup
    > loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you
    > Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
    > 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    >> On one machine, running XP Pro SP2 with all updates, I cannot write
    >> anything to the Registry at all. I've tried just adding my user
    >> name to the Permissions with regedt32, and it just times out "Not
    >> responding" This happened just a day or so ago on just one of four
    >> machines. --
    >> Walter B

    Thanks, Mark. I think that fixed it.

    --