DCOM Event ID 10009

June 28, 2005 4:40:03 PM

The system event log in one of my PCs is recording the following error
message every 40-45 seconds against two other PCs in my wired network. The
other PCs are not recording such an error.

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer %1 using any of the
configured protocols.

Event ID 10009

This is not a new PC and it has been running this configuration for several
months. The best I can determine is the problem started 2 weeks ago around
the time Norton Ghost and eTrust Firewall were installed. I have installed
tested and reinstalled both products but the problem existed in all
combinations.

The defined network file shares and printer shares are working. There are no
old printer share definitions defined anywhere.

The registry entry for rpc DCOM protocols is ncacn_ip_tcp followed by
ncacn_spx.

Virus scans are negative.

The problem does not seem impact performance. The PC is running Windows XP
Home Edition SP 2. The other PCs being named in the error are running Windows
XP Home Edition SP 2 and Windows 98 SE. All critical fixes are up to date on
all PCs.

These PCs are not using Exchange, Outlook or SQL Server. The configuration
is a simple home network using a Linksys wireless route with a 4 port switch.

Any ideas on how to debug this problem would be appreciated.

More about : dcom event 10009

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:52:04 AM

Hi

Please see if the following helps:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=10009&source...

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ralph S." <RalphS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The system event log in one of my PCs is recording the following error
> message every 40-45 seconds against two other PCs in my wired network. The
> other PCs are not recording such an error.
>
> DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer %1 using any of the
> configured protocols.
>
> Event ID 10009
>
> This is not a new PC and it has been running this configuration for
> several
> months. The best I can determine is the problem started 2 weeks ago around
> the time Norton Ghost and eTrust Firewall were installed. I have installed
> tested and reinstalled both products but the problem existed in all
> combinations.
>
> The defined network file shares and printer shares are working. There are
> no
> old printer share definitions defined anywhere.
>
> The registry entry for rpc DCOM protocols is ncacn_ip_tcp followed by
> ncacn_spx.
>
> Virus scans are negative.
>
> The problem does not seem impact performance. The PC is running Windows XP
> Home Edition SP 2. The other PCs being named in the error are running
> Windows
> XP Home Edition SP 2 and Windows 98 SE. All critical fixes are up to date
> on
> all PCs.
>
> These PCs are not using Exchange, Outlook or SQL Server. The configuration
> is a simple home network using a Linksys wireless route with a 4 port
> switch.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this problem would be appreciated.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:52:05 AM

Will,

Thank you. I went to the site you referenced and the very first post had my
answer. It was the software for my HP Laserjet Printer. HPBPRO.EXE was
generating the error. Downloaded HP latest up. Problem solved.

Regards
Ralph S.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following helps:
>
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=10009&source...
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Ralph S." <RalphS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The system event log in one of my PCs is recording the following error
> > message every 40-45 seconds against two other PCs in my wired network. The
> > other PCs are not recording such an error.
> >
> > DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer %1 using any of the
> > configured protocols.
> >
> > Event ID 10009
> >
> > This is not a new PC and it has been running this configuration for
> > several
> > months. The best I can determine is the problem started 2 weeks ago around
> > the time Norton Ghost and eTrust Firewall were installed. I have installed
> > tested and reinstalled both products but the problem existed in all
> > combinations.
> >
> > The defined network file shares and printer shares are working. There are
> > no
> > old printer share definitions defined anywhere.
> >
> > The registry entry for rpc DCOM protocols is ncacn_ip_tcp followed by
> > ncacn_spx.
> >
> > Virus scans are negative.
> >
> > The problem does not seem impact performance. The PC is running Windows XP
> > Home Edition SP 2. The other PCs being named in the error are running
> > Windows
> > XP Home Edition SP 2 and Windows 98 SE. All critical fixes are up to date
> > on
> > all PCs.
> >
> > These PCs are not using Exchange, Outlook or SQL Server. The configuration
> > is a simple home network using a Linksys wireless route with a 4 port
> > switch.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to debug this problem would be appreciated.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:45:59 AM

Glad you problem is sorted Ralph.

--