I am using Windows XP Home Edition. When booting up, Windows goes directely
to loading files and takes at least 20 minutes before the sign in screen
appears. Do you have a answer to solve this problem?

Hi, Betty.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Anything from loose cables to a dying
hard drive to WinXP looking for some peripheral that used to be connnected
and is not anymore - and it's slow to give up on finding it.

Tell us more about your computer and we probably can help. In the meantime,
open the case and tighten every connection you can find. Blow out the dust.
(Even if it doesn't fix this problem, it's good to do this now and then.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Betty dr" <Betty dr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP Home Edition. When booting up, Windows goes
>directely
> to loading files and takes at least 20 minutes before the sign in screen
> appears. Do you have a answer to solve this problem?

Hi R.C. White, thank you for your reply.

Let me tell you more about my daughters 2 year old Dell computer with
Windows XP Home Edition. She had it at college for 2 years. She started
having many problems with it performing at all. It was running very slow
once we got it home and were able to get into some programs. After getting
it home here, we installed AVG Anti-virus and found almost 200 viruses; she
had been downloading music, which must have been the culprit. I have been
running an anit-virus scan and each time a few (4 to 6) virus will appear.
The viruses are in the Vault. Let me tell you what they are and then I will
explain what troubles we are having.

Virus information in Vault:
Trojanhorse BackDoor.Agent 8.L
C:/WINDOWS/ntgd.exe - Backup Copy Infected

Also:
Trojan Horses Start page 19.AO
C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM 32/mgroe.dll - Backup Copy Infected

TROUBLE: When booting up, WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION appears and loads.
WINDOWS start up screen appears, but takes 15 minutes to complete. Then a
new window appears saying "Unable to log you on because of account
restriction). Then click on OK and it will take me to the sign on screen,
then all is well.

I did reformat with the reinstallation CD including service pack 1, and this
made the programs work faster.

Do you suppose the backup copies that states are infected, even though AVG
healed,
are causing the slow start up. And why after Windows does start up, does it
not go directly to desktop?
"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Betty.
>
> Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Anything from loose cables to a dying
> hard drive to WinXP looking for some peripheral that used to be connnected
> and is not anymore - and it's slow to give up on finding it.
>
> Tell us more about your computer and we probably can help. In the meantime,
> open the case and tighten every connection you can find. Blow out the dust.
> (Even if it doesn't fix this problem, it's good to do this now and then.)
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Betty dr" <Betty dr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Windows XP Home Edition. When booting up, Windows goes
> >directely
> > to loading files and takes at least 20 minutes before the sign in screen
> > appears. Do you have a answer to solve this problem?

Hi, Betty.

> After getting
> it home here, we installed AVG Anti-virus and found almost 200 viruses;
> she
> had been downloading music, which must have been the culprit.

Aha! Well, with that additional info, I'll withdraw my tentative diagnosis
of "probably hardware". ;^{

Many regulars here know much more than I do about how to remove malware and
guard against its return. They call it "practicing safe hex". I've been
lucky enough not to have had to deal with such problems very much. But I
hear that, when downloading music, we often get much more than we bargained
for - most of it bad.

Now that you've posted the background, I'm sure you'll be getting some
positive advice on how to proceed. Good luck!

RC
--

> Hi R.C. White, thank you for your reply.
>
> Let me tell you more about my daughters 2 year old Dell computer with
> Windows XP Home Edition. She had it at college for 2 years. She started
> having many problems with it performing at all. It was running very slow
> once we got it home and were able to get into some programs. After
> getting
> it home here, we installed AVG Anti-virus and found almost 200 viruses;
> she
> had been downloading music, which must have been the culprit. I have been
> running an anit-virus scan and each time a few (4 to 6) virus will appear.
> The viruses are in the Vault. Let me tell you what they are and then I
> will
> explain what troubles we are having.
>
> Virus information in Vault:
> Trojanhorse BackDoor.Agent 8.L
> C:/WINDOWS/ntgd.exe - Backup Copy Infected
>
> Also:
> Trojan Horses Start page 19.AO
> C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM 32/mgroe.dll - Backup Copy Infected
>
> TROUBLE: When booting up, WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION appears and loads.
> WINDOWS start up screen appears, but takes 15 minutes to complete. Then
> new window appears saying "Unable to log you on because of account
> restriction). Then click on OK and it will take me to the sign on screen,
> then all is well.
>
> I did reformat with the reinstallation CD including service pack 1, and
> this
> made the programs work faster.
>
> Do you suppose the backup copies that states are infected, even though AVG
> healed,
> are causing the slow start up. And why after Windows does start up, does
> it
> not go directly to desktop?
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Betty.
>>
>> Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Anything from loose cables to a
>> dying
>> hard drive to WinXP looking for some peripheral that used to be
>> connnected
>> and is not anymore - and it's slow to give up on finding it.
>>
>> Tell us more about your computer and we probably can help. In the
>> meantime,
>> open the case and tighten every connection you can find. Blow out the
>> dust.
>> (Even if it doesn't fix this problem, it's good to do this now and then.)
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Betty dr" <Betty dr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using Windows XP Home Edition. When booting up, Windows goes
>> >directely
>> > to loading files and takes at least 20 minutes before the sign in
>> > screen
>> > appears. Do you have a answer to solve this problem?

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Tell us more about your computer and we probably can help.
> In the meantime,
> > open the case and tighten every connection you can find.
> Blow out the dust.
> > (Even if it doesn't fix this problem, it's good to do this
> now and then.)
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > rc@corridor.net
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> >
> > "Betty dr" <Betty dr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am using Windows XP Home Edition. When booting up,
> Windows goes
> > >directely
> > > to loading files and takes at least 20 minutes before the
> sign in screen
> > > appears. Do you have a answer to solve this problem?

Yes, seems like SOFTWARE problem, a diying HD usualy means the
computer actualy locks up for moments at a time while it tries to
read/write to/from HD. Any way, i would surgest you use Spybot -
Search and Destroy and a virus scanner, if you dont have one and dont
wish to buy one, here are the links to a half decent free one, and
spybot:

http://www.free-av.com/

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Extremely-slow-startup-ftopict551111.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1747700

Microsoft has a Spyware remover as well, however it is still a beta version.
I've been running it for a couple weeks now and seems to work fine.

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > open the case and tighten every connection you can find.
> > Blow out the dust.
> > > (Even if it doesn't fix this problem, it's good to do this
> > now and then.)
> > >
> > > RC
> > > --
> > > R. C. White, CPA
> > > San Marcos, TX
> > > rc@corridor.net
> > > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > >
> > > "Betty dr" <Betty dr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows goes
> > sign in screen
> > >

> Yes, seems like SOFTWARE problem, a diying HD usualy means the
> computer actualy locks up for moments at a time while it tries to
> read/write to/from HD. Any way, i would surgest you use Spybot -
> Search and Destroy and a virus scanner, if you dont have one and dont
> wish to buy one, here are the links to a half decent free one, and

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Spending a few days on this computer, I
have solved the problems. This discussion group is wonderful and I hope I
may help others as well. I downloaded the free AVG Anti-Virus Edition which
has worked well for me. It found 102 Viruses, healed and put them in the
Vault which I then went to AVG Virus help, waited a few days and cleared the
vault.
Also, after reinstalling XP, the computer runs just as fast as when it was
new. I would hope that my daughter will not download more music since this
is where the Trojan horse viruses must have come from.
Betty

"Brett Bowdring" wrote:

> [...]
> > > >

> > Yes, seems like SOFTWARE problem, a diying HD usualy means the
> > computer actualy locks up for moments at a time while it tries to
> > read/write to/from HD. Any way, i would surgest you use Spybot -
> > Search and Destroy and a virus scanner, if you dont have one and dont
> > wish to buy one, here are the links to a half decent free one, and
> > spybot:
> >
> > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> >
> > http://www.free-av.com/
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Extremely-slow-startup-ftopict551111.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Betty dr,
I have just gone through this with a customer who's daughter is a
junior in college. She had 447 spyware/adware installs & 14 viruses.
After cleaning them up, I made her user account password protected.
Seems there were five other people using her computer with and without
her knowledge.
Suggest you look at the different topics and print out what she needs
to know;
'Improve your family's Web security in 4 steps'
(http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/childrenonline.mspx)

Best,
Treeman

--