Wireless Trouble - Internet drops after 5-10 minutes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 9:43:06 PM

I am hoping that someone much more learned than I can assist me with
what I hope is an elementary problem...actually, I have multiple
problems..

I have a zoom adsl modem with a netgear mr814 wireless router
attached. One xp box is wired straight to the mr814 and one xp box
connects via a netgear ma111 wireless adapter. All works ok - I know I
have a problem in that the modem and the router are both dhcp enabled
(I tried turning off the dhcp on the mr814 but found I could not log
back into it when I rebooted the modem, router and the directly wired
box). However, at this point, I can at least access the internet and
email from both xp boxes. My main issue occurred when I introduced
another pc onto the network; again, with the ma111 wireless adapter.
Intially the new xp box finds the wireless network and I can access
the internet with no problems - that lasts for 5-10 minutes. At that
time, the interenet drops. The ma111 still shows a connection. I find
that I can ping all the devices on the network (but they cannot ping
the new computer). I've tried disabling authentication, changing
channels, and repositioning the access point; no luck fixing the
problem. Can anyone lend me some advice? I am obviously very green at
this and am overwhelmed by what I thought would be relatively easy.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 3:52:57 AM

kevin@sueandkevin.com (KGC) wrote in message news:<3361baa1.0404261643.76f30c39@posting.google.com>...

> I know I
> have a problem in that the modem and the router are both dhcp enabled
> (I tried turning off the dhcp on the mr814 but found I could not log
> back into it when I rebooted the modem, router and the directly wired
> box).

I have ADSL here too. I don't believe the modem has anything to do
with DHCP (unless the modem incorporates a router within the box
itself). The Netgear router on the other hand would certainly be an
issue. First, the Netgear should have two places to configure for
DHCP. 1) The WAN side "client". If your ISP assigns a dynamic IP
address to you, then, make sure this is enabled. 2) For the LAN side,
there's a DHCP server configuration, which when enabled, can
dynamically assign IP addresses to local PC's, laptops, ...etc. If you
have your PC's setup to "Obtain an IP address automatically", then you
want to be sure that DHCP is enabled on your router. If on the other
hand, you assign static IP's to your PC's, then you can still enable
DHCP. Just be sure you're assigning static IP's outside of the DHCP
assignment block of addresses.

> My main issue occurred when I introduced
> another pc onto the network; again, with the ma111 wireless adapter.
> Intially the new xp box finds the wireless network and I can access
> the internet with no problems - that lasts for 5-10 minutes. At that
> time, the interenet drops. The ma111 still shows a connection. I find
> that I can ping all the devices on the network (but they cannot ping
> the new computer). I've tried disabling authentication, changing
> channels, and repositioning the access point; no luck fixing the
> problem. Can anyone lend me some advice? I am obviously very green at
> this and am overwhelmed by what I thought would be relatively easy.
> Thanks in advance.

During the 5-10 minute window, when your newest XP can access the
Internet, are you able to ping that XP from any other box? It almost
sounds like you have some sort of IP addressing issue going on. Can't
say exactly what at this point.

Just to uncomplicate things a bit, you might try assigning a static IP
address (make sure you're assigning all IP's within the same subnet)
to the XP box, and make sure you enter the Netgear's IP address as its
gateway. Also, manually enter the DNS IP's. This will at least make it
so you KNOW what its IP address is, while you're doing PINGs to it
from the other PC's. If at any point, you are unsure of a PC's IP
address, you can bring up a DOS type box (Start/Run/cmd)and type in
"ipconfig /all" This will display the IP configuration. Hope this
helps...

- Dan -
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 1:09:10 PM

I am also having similar problems
wireless shows a link but gives no data

"KGC" <kevin@sueandkevin.com> wrote in message
> I am hoping that someone much more learned than I can assist me with
> what I hope is an elementary problem...actually, I have multiple
> problems..
>
> I have a zoom adsl modem with a netgear mr814 wireless router
> attached. One xp box is wired straight to the mr814 and one xp box
> connects via a netgear ma111 wireless adapter. All works ok - I know I
> have a problem in that the modem and the router are both dhcp enabled
> (I tried turning off the dhcp on the mr814 but found I could not log
> back into it when I rebooted the modem, router and the directly wired
> box). However, at this point, I can at least access the internet and
> email from both xp boxes. My main issue occurred when I introduced
> another pc onto the network; again, with the ma111 wireless adapter.
> Intially the new xp box finds the wireless network and I can access
> the internet with no problems - that lasts for 5-10 minutes. At that
> time, the interenet drops. The ma111 still shows a connection. I find
> that I can ping all the devices on the network (but they cannot ping
> the new computer). I've tried disabling authentication, changing
> channels, and repositioning the access point; no luck fixing the
> problem. Can anyone lend me some advice? I am obviously very green at
> this and am overwhelmed by what I thought would be relatively easy.
> Thanks in advance.
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 2:26:52 PM

"KGC" <kevin@sueandkevin.com> wrote in message
> I am hoping that someone much more learned than I can assist me with
> what I hope is an elementary problem...actually, I have multiple
> problems..
>
> I have a zoom adsl modem with a netgear mr814 wireless router
> attached. One xp box is wired straight to the mr814 and one xp box
> connects via a netgear ma111 wireless adapter. All works ok - I know I
> have a problem in that the modem and the router are both dhcp enabled
> (I tried turning off the dhcp on the mr814 but found I could not log
> back into it when I rebooted the modem, router and the directly wired
> box). However, at this point, I can at least access the internet and
> email from both xp boxes. My main issue occurred when I introduced
> another pc onto the network; again, with the ma111 wireless adapter.
> Intially the new xp box finds the wireless network and I can access
> the internet with no problems - that lasts for 5-10 minutes. At that
> time, the interenet drops. The ma111 still shows a connection. I find
> that I can ping all the devices on the network (but they cannot ping
> the new computer). I've tried disabling authentication, changing
> channels, and repositioning the access point; no luck fixing the
> problem. Can anyone lend me some advice? I am obviously very green at
> this and am overwhelmed by what I thought would be relatively easy.
> Thanks in advance.

I have just solved a problem like this here in Australia.
apparantly the cable network changed the "Heartbeat" setting in the newer
modems and the router was not either responding to the heartbeat or not
detecting the incoming one, I am nbot sure.
I ended up contacting the Tech support for the router and they advised me
a firmware upgrade, which seems to have sloved the problem completely.
Naturally your problem may be different , but I had the same symptoms.

FWIIW
Tom Grayson
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 2:31:10 PM

Mine just started doing this too!
I have my XP home updated with all the latest update stuff, how about
everyone else?

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:09:10 GMT, "NewsUser" <sskyhawk@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am also having similar problems
>wireless shows a link but gives no data
>

>"KGC" <kevin@sueandkevin.com> wrote in message
>> I am hoping that someone much more learned than I can assist me with
>> what I hope is an elementary problem...actually, I have multiple
>> problems..
>>
>> I have a zoom adsl modem with a netgear mr814 wireless router
>> attached. One xp box is wired straight to the mr814 and one xp box
>> connects via a netgear ma111 wireless adapter. All works ok - I know I
>> have a problem in that the modem and the router are both dhcp enabled
>> (I tried turning off the dhcp on the mr814 but found I could not log
>> back into it when I rebooted the modem, router and the directly wired
>> box). However, at this point, I can at least access the internet and
>> email from both xp boxes. My main issue occurred when I introduced
>> another pc onto the network; again, with the ma111 wireless adapter.
>> Intially the new xp box finds the wireless network and I can access
>> the internet with no problems - that lasts for 5-10 minutes. At that
>> time, the interenet drops. The ma111 still shows a connection. I find
>> that I can ping all the devices on the network (but they cannot ping
>> the new computer). I've tried disabling authentication, changing
>> channels, and repositioning the access point; no luck fixing the
>> problem. Can anyone lend me some advice? I am obviously very green at
>> this and am overwhelmed by what I thought would be relatively easy.
>> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 27, 2004 5:24:48 PM

danny@qnet.com (Dan Taylor) wrote in

> Just to uncomplicate things a bit, you might try assigning a static IP
> address (make sure you're assigning all IP's within the same subnet)
> to the XP box, and make sure you enter the Netgear's IP address as its
> gateway. Also, manually enter the DNS IP's. This will at least make it
> so you KNOW what its IP address is, while you're doing PINGs to it
> from the other PC's. If at any point, you are unsure of a PC's IP
> address, you can bring up a DOS type box (Start/Run/cmd)and type in
> "ipconfig /all" This will display the IP configuration. Hope this
> helps...

It might be that if he's running ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) on the
XP box it's never going to respond to pings, or much of anything else for
that matter unless it's configured for it. He could try temporarily
turning it off, at least for testing purposes.
!