Need a Windows XP Home Edition CD?

After I used HP recovery on my computer I got a message saying that it could
not start windows because it was missing the system32/drivers/ntfs.sys file.
So, I looked on the web for the answer, and voila, I know how to fix the
file. But the problem is it needs a windows xp cd, and frankly either my
computer did not come with one or it's gone. I don't think i can download the
program. Can I get the CD without having to PAY for it again?
1 answer Last reply
More about need windows home edition

    HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    information.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
    to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
    drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
    reinstalled.

    Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "funKEY computer" wrote:

    | After I used HP recovery on my computer I got a message saying that it could
    | not start windows because it was missing the system32/drivers/ntfs.sys file.
    | So, I looked on the web for the answer, and voila, I know how to fix the
    | file. But the problem is it needs a windows xp cd, and frankly either my
    | computer did not come with one or it's gone. I don't think i can download the
    | program. Can I get the CD without having to PAY for it again?

CD-Rom Windows XP