Well, I guess it's decided. Proto Defenders are worth $1800. 50 people
watching and only one bidder. I think he would have done better if he
had kept it at $9.95 and set a reserve. Just my 2 cents

Pat D.

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Yeah, I'm actually surprise it received a bid.
the bezel on it is not proto, who knows what else isn't.
I would have gone no reserve on it, starting at 1¢.
might have gotten some more interest that way.

Troy,

"Pat Danis" <patdanis@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Well, I guess it's decided. Proto Defenders are worth $1800. 50 people
> watching and only one bidder. I think he would have done better if he
> had kept it at $9.95 and set a reserve. Just my 2 cents
>
> Pat D.

I think he would have done better running the auction at $9.95 myself.
People emailing the owner and giving him the information was pretty stupid.
At $1800 i dont see anyone bidding.

jon

--
http://www.arcade-classics.com
"Pat Danis" <patdanis@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> Well, I guess it's decided. Proto Defenders are worth $1800. 50 people
> watching and only one bidder. I think he would have done better if he had
> kept it at $9.95 and set a reserve. Just my 2 cents
>
> Pat D.

I hope it works out for the buyer. The pics were so bad, how could you
tell the cabinet condition. Plus, that little commentary about "how the
seller wasn't going to get ripped off, and how people better bid", was
a major turnoff.

Brian

Hi,

Wasnt the winning bidder a fake? Pman has one of these in the UK
anyhow, must not be that rare.

Mark Capps

Jon eXidy wrote:

> I think he would have done better running the auction at $9.95 myself.
> People emailing the owner and giving him the information was pretty stupid.
> At $1800 i dont see anyone bidding.
>
> jon

Hi,

Yeah the seller acting that way didnt do him any good, he was being a prick.

Mark Capps

ATL FUN wrote:

> I hope it works out for the buyer. The pics were so bad, how could you
> tell the cabinet condition. Plus, that little commentary about "how the
> seller wasn't going to get ripped off, and how people better bid", was
> a major turnoff.
>

> Brian

>Pman has one of these in the UK

> anyhow, must not be that rare.

Actually *I* own the one p-man has on his web page.

And from I've been told, Eugene himself has suppossedly said that 6 protos
were made.

Regards Rav

"big dog" <catfishh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Wasnt the winning bidder a fake? Pman has one of these in the UK anyhow,
> must not be that rare.
>
> Mark Capps
>
> Jon eXidy wrote:
>
>> I think he would have done better running the auction at $9.95 myself.
>> People emailing the owner and giving him the information was pretty
>> stupid. At $1800 i dont see anyone bidding.
>>
>> jon

While there may have been an handful of actual prototype Defenders made
for trade shows, etc., I am fairly certain many more Defenders left the
Williams factory with the 'Star Wars' sideart. I had one (for about
five hours) here in Dallas that had a tag on the control panel with the
number 53 (which is about the only way you can accurately number a
Williams game as the serial number on the back is sequential for ALL
Williams products (pinball & video).
And if memory servers me correctly I saw another Defender with this
sideart here in Dallas as well - but that could have been at one of the
superauctions.

I would wager there are around 100 or so with the artwork.

tm