Help: Cant install Windows XP

June 28, 2005 8:06:01 PM

I just built a new computer and cant get windows to work. Sometimes it says
files are corrupt or sometimes setup wont start. Anyone Know the Problem?

More about : install windows

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:16:39 PM

Hi Cole,

Check to make sure the CD is not dirty or damaged.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Cole wrote:
> I just built a new computer and cant get windows to work.
> Sometimes it says files are corrupt or sometimes setup
> wont start. Anyone Know the Problem?
June 28, 2005 11:16:40 PM

no it is right out of the package

Cole

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Cole,
>
> Check to make sure the CD is not dirty or damaged.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Cole wrote:
> > I just built a new computer and cant get windows to work.
> > Sometimes it says files are corrupt or sometimes setup
> > wont start. Anyone Know the Problem?

June 28, 2005 11:38:28 PM

Could be lots of things. Are you sure all the hardware you are using is XP
compatible? Are you setting up your BIOS to first boot from the CD drive?
Is the copy of XP you are using a legal and authentic copy?

"Cole" <Cole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just built a new computer and cant get windows to work. Sometimes it
>says
> files are corrupt or sometimes setup wont start. Anyone Know the Problem?
June 29, 2005 4:37:04 PM

Hi do you know who manufactures the chipset on your motherboard. I have seen
errors in reading files off the installation CD a few times now when boards
are using VIA chipsets. The CD in these cases was fine, but the motherboard
memory controller chip was the culprit. Unfortunately this is hard to detect
because it looks like a memory module issue, when the modules are tested
they tend to look ok. Only VIA can sort out the buggy chipset and so far
they have not fully succeeeded. My solution was to exchange the boards,
which were Abit, for ones with Intel chipsets that takes the same
processors. These were a little more expensive but seem much more stable.
You might get more guidance by visiting the website of the company that
makes your motherboard.

Chelsea
June 29, 2005 4:37:05 PM

I think its all compattible and PCchips is on the chipset. I changed the
boot order but when it got to setup it said that file \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe
could not be loaded error code is 7 anyone know what error code 7 is ?
Thanks

Cole
June 30, 2005 1:25:14 AM

Hiya,
I think you have a hardware problem Cole. It could be something as simple as
the wrong setting in the bios or an oversight during the construction of the
PC. I suggest you talk with PC Chips support
http://www.pcchipsusa.com/support-mainframe.asp They might know of the
problem and a workaround.

Chelsea
!