Printer Security for Network Computer

Hi all,

I have 2 XP home Edition SP2 computers which are connected via a woreless
network. One has a printer attached, which I have enabled "sharing" on.
The remote computer can print to this printer fine, however:
1. The notification icon (down by the clock etc) does NOT show up on that
remote computer when printing.
2. The remote user is unable to open the printer to view the queue in order
to cancel print jobs
3. According to Help, I should be able (on the computer the printer is
physically connected to) to see a "Security" tab when looking at the printer
properties, and thus (presumably) set permissions for the remote user to
manage documents; however, I don't have a "Security Tab" (pressing Cntrl
while right clicking - as per Help, or not pressing Cntrl)
4. On the remote computer, when you go to Control Panel, Printers - the
printer shows, but it says "Access Denied, Unable to connect "; which is
weird since you certainly CAN print to that printer from the remote
(networked) computer.

I need for the remote user to be able to Cancel documents, at least the ones
sent from that computer.

Any help appreciated -- Thanks, Don
3 answers Last reply
More about printer security network computer

    go to start/run, and type: fsmgmt.msc

    the sessions folder will allow disconnection.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Don B" <DonB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C66BF580-4AE5-476C-BD15-0B8A22787861@microsoft.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have 2 XP home Edition SP2 computers which are connected via a woreless
    > network. One has a printer attached, which I have enabled "sharing" on.
    > The remote computer can print to this printer fine, however:
    > 1. The notification icon (down by the clock etc) does NOT show up on that
    > remote computer when printing.
    > 2. The remote user is unable to open the printer to view the queue in order
    > to cancel print jobs
    > 3. According to Help, I should be able (on the computer the printer is
    > physically connected to) to see a "Security" tab when looking at the printer
    > properties, and thus (presumably) set permissions for the remote user to
    > manage documents; however, I don't have a "Security Tab" (pressing Cntrl
    > while right clicking - as per Help, or not pressing Cntrl)
    > 4. On the remote computer, when you go to Control Panel, Printers - the
    > printer shows, but it says "Access Denied, Unable to connect "; which is
    > weird since you certainly CAN print to that printer from the remote
    > (networked) computer.
    >
    > I need for the remote user to be able to Cancel documents, at least the ones
    > sent from that computer.
    >
    > Any help appreciated -- Thanks, Don

    I'm aware of that, but don't see how it would help the remote computer to be
    able to cancel print jobs if it's disconnected???

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > go to start/run, and type: fsmgmt.msc
    >
    > the sessions folder will allow disconnection.
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > "Don B" <DonB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C66BF580-4AE5-476C-BD15-0B8A22787861@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have 2 XP home Edition SP2 computers which are connected via a woreless
    > > network. One has a printer attached, which I have enabled "sharing" on.
    > > The remote computer can print to this printer fine, however:
    > > 1. The notification icon (down by the clock etc) does NOT show up on that
    > > remote computer when printing.
    > > 2. The remote user is unable to open the printer to view the queue in order
    > > to cancel print jobs
    > > 3. According to Help, I should be able (on the computer the printer is
    > > physically connected to) to see a "Security" tab when looking at the printer
    > > properties, and thus (presumably) set permissions for the remote user to
    > > manage documents; however, I don't have a "Security Tab" (pressing Cntrl
    > > while right clicking - as per Help, or not pressing Cntrl)
    > > 4. On the remote computer, when you go to Control Panel, Printers - the
    > > printer shows, but it says "Access Denied, Unable to connect "; which is
    > > weird since you certainly CAN print to that printer from the remote
    > > (networked) computer.
    > >
    > > I need for the remote user to be able to Cancel documents, at least the ones
    > > sent from that computer.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated -- Thanks, Don

    Perhaps someone else understands what you are trying to do.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Don B" <DonB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C11CB66-4B20-4F7D-A873-246F5EE6422D@microsoft.com...
    > I'm aware of that, but don't see how it would help the remote computer to be
    > able to cancel print jobs if it's disconnected???
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> go to start/run, and type: fsmgmt.msc
    >>
    >> the sessions folder will allow disconnection.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "Don B" <DonB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C66BF580-4AE5-476C-BD15-0B8A22787861@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I have 2 XP home Edition SP2 computers which are connected via a woreless
    >> > network. One has a printer attached, which I have enabled "sharing" on.
    >> > The remote computer can print to this printer fine, however:
    >> > 1. The notification icon (down by the clock etc) does NOT show up on that
    >> > remote computer when printing.
    >> > 2. The remote user is unable to open the printer to view the queue in order
    >> > to cancel print jobs
    >> > 3. According to Help, I should be able (on the computer the printer is
    >> > physically connected to) to see a "Security" tab when looking at the printer
    >> > properties, and thus (presumably) set permissions for the remote user to
    >> > manage documents; however, I don't have a "Security Tab" (pressing Cntrl
    >> > while right clicking - as per Help, or not pressing Cntrl)
    >> > 4. On the remote computer, when you go to Control Panel, Printers - the
    >> > printer shows, but it says "Access Denied, Unable to connect "; which is
    >> > weird since you certainly CAN print to that printer from the remote
    >> > (networked) computer.
    >> >
    >> > I need for the remote user to be able to Cancel documents, at least the ones
    >> > sent from that computer.
    >> >
    >> > Any help appreciated -- Thanks, Don

Security Computers Printers Windows XP