Who did the Tron Joystick Molding/reproduction?

Sad, sad, sad indeed. No joy for poor Zinfey.

I thought he had solld all of his games and donated the money to help
out the hurricane Katrina victims. He was talking big about helping out
anyway.

Maybe the Tron he sold needed a new joystick.

cnlmoore wrote:
> Yes, but he's out of stock and not responding to emails. :-(
>
> Chris
> <takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I think it was: http://members.aol.com/specialtyplastic/index.htm
> > Copy n paste the link if it does not work.

I last got an email from Tom back in the beginning of May when I
bought some other repro plastic parts from him. At that time, he said
that he needed to make a new mold before he could create any more
repro Tron joystick handles. To make a new mold, he said that he
needed a good original set of handles (which he evidently didn't
have).

I offered to give him a nice set of red joystick halves (from Satan's
Hollow, same as Tron except for color) if it would expedite the
process. He never responded to my email, so I never sent them to him.

If he makes more, I'll buy a set like a shot! I bought a set of repro
Tron handles from him back in 2003 when he first started making them.
Very nice! I need another set now for another game.

Alan

--
Alan S. Estenson aestenson<at>comcast.net
(remove *nospam* when replying)

I was looking at perhaps doing a plaster of paris mold, shellacing it
and creating some plastic CP button retainers. I've only been able to
find the talls and shorts, shorts being about 1/4" which is still too
thick. What I was looking to create was an 1/8" thickness. I was
interested in his process of how he did it.
Problem is, if you have a 3/4" CP, then have about a 1/4" plexi CP
protector on top of that, the tall buttons need the leaf switches
mounted underneath. Tried just mounting the leaf switches to the
wood, but it was too tall. Hard to explain without a picture graphic.
But suffice to say that I was just looking for his process.
Last I saw his repros they looked pretty darned good. So he apparently
has it down. But apparently his mold only lasts for so many repros.
I think he's doing some kind of injection molding though as he has two
sides to worry about rather than just pour and let dry.
I'll try the site mentioned earlier.

Rod

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:44:53 -0500, Alan Estenson
<aestenson*nospam*@comcast.net> wrote:

>I last got an email from Tom back in the beginning of May when I
>bought some other repro plastic parts from him. At that time, he said
>that he needed to make a new mold before he could create any more
>repro Tron joystick handles. To make a new mold, he said that he
>needed a good original set of handles (which he evidently didn't
>have).
>
>I offered to give him a nice set of red joystick halves (from Satan's
>Hollow, same as Tron except for color) if it would expedite the
>process. He never responded to my email, so I never sent them to him.
>
>If he makes more, I'll buy a set like a shot! I bought a set of repro
>Tron handles from him back in 2003 when he first started making them.
>Very nice! I need another set now for another game.
>
>Alan
>
>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:47:33 -0500, "cnlmoore" <cnlmoore@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Yes, but he's out of stock and not responding to emails. :-(
>>
>>Chris
>><takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I think it was: http://members.aol.com/specialtyplastic/index.htm
>>> Copy n paste the link if it does not work.
>>>

>--
>Alan S. Estenson aestenson<at>comcast.net
>(remove *nospam* when replying)
>http://www.mn-rocketry.net

1/4" plexi cp protector seems a bit thick to me, unless the game is on a
route. Why not just use washers for your spacing problems?

"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was looking at perhaps doing a plaster of paris mold, shellacing it
> and creating some plastic CP button retainers. I've only been able to
> find the talls and shorts, shorts being about 1/4" which is still too
> thick. What I was looking to create was an 1/8" thickness. I was
> interested in his process of how he did it.
> Problem is, if you have a 3/4" CP, then have about a 1/4" plexi CP
> protector on top of that, the tall buttons need the leaf switches
> mounted underneath. Tried just mounting the leaf switches to the
> wood, but it was too tall. Hard to explain without a picture graphic.
> But suffice to say that I was just looking for his process.
> Last I saw his repros they looked pretty darned good. So he apparently
> has it down. But apparently his mold only lasts for so many repros.
> I think he's doing some kind of injection molding though as he has two
> sides to worry about rather than just pour and let dry.
> I'll try the site mentioned earlier.
>
> Rod
>
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:44:53 -0500, Alan Estenson
> <aestenson*nospam*@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I last got an email from Tom back in the beginning of May when I
>>bought some other repro plastic parts from him. At that time, he said
>>that he needed to make a new mold before he could create any more
>>repro Tron joystick handles. To make a new mold, he said that he
>>needed a good original set of handles (which he evidently didn't
>>have).
>>
>>I offered to give him a nice set of red joystick halves (from Satan's
>>Hollow, same as Tron except for color) if it would expedite the
>>process. He never responded to my email, so I never sent them to him.
>>
>>If he makes more, I'll buy a set like a shot! I bought a set of repro
>>Tron handles from him back in 2003 when he first started making them.
>>Very nice! I need another set now for another game.
>>
>>Alan
>>
>>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:47:33 -0500, "cnlmoore" <cnlmoore@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, but he's out of stock and not responding to emails. :-(
>>>
>>>Chris
>>><takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>--
>>Alan S. Estenson aestenson<at>comcast.net
>>(remove *nospam* when replying)
>>http://www.mn-rocketry.net

Yea your right. It is a tad thick. But the holes are all there. :)
I'm trying to use what I think was stock. Hmm but that's an oximoron
anyhow since TG was a conversion game. I updated the site if you were
looking for the pics earlier. http://71.65.80.123/topgunner.htm
I suppose I could use some large washers under the leaf switches but
it would just look funky.
Marched myself straight across a bridge that had a dead end. :)
Pondering pondering pondering. I still don't think my idea of making
moldings is a bad one. Just effort intensive.
It's kind of comical how it turned out storywise if you read the
texts.

Rod

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:41:04 -0500, "cnlmoore" <cnlmoore@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1/4" plexi cp protector seems a bit thick to me, unless the game is on a
>route. Why not just use washers for your spacing problems?
>
>"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I was looking at perhaps doing a plaster of paris mold, shellacing it
>> and creating some plastic CP button retainers. I've only been able to
>> find the talls and shorts, shorts being about 1/4" which is still too
>> thick. What I was looking to create was an 1/8" thickness. I was
>> interested in his process of how he did it.
>> Problem is, if you have a 3/4" CP, then have about a 1/4" plexi CP
>> protector on top of that, the tall buttons need the leaf switches
>> mounted underneath. Tried just mounting the leaf switches to the
>> wood, but it was too tall. Hard to explain without a picture graphic.
>> But suffice to say that I was just looking for his process.
>> Last I saw his repros they looked pretty darned good. So he apparently
>> has it down. But apparently his mold only lasts for so many repros.
>> I think he's doing some kind of injection molding though as he has two
>> sides to worry about rather than just pour and let dry.
>> I'll try the site mentioned earlier.
>>
>> Rod
>>
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:44:53 -0500, Alan Estenson
>> <aestenson*nospam*@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I last got an email from Tom back in the beginning of May when I
>>>bought some other repro plastic parts from him. At that time, he said
>>>that he needed to make a new mold before he could create any more
>>>repro Tron joystick handles. To make a new mold, he said that he
>>>needed a good original set of handles (which he evidently didn't
>>>have).
>>>
>>>I offered to give him a nice set of red joystick halves (from Satan's
>>>Hollow, same as Tron except for color) if it would expedite the
>>>process. He never responded to my email, so I never sent them to him.
>>>
>>>If he makes more, I'll buy a set like a shot! I bought a set of repro
>>>Tron handles from him back in 2003 when he first started making them.
>>>Very nice! I need another set now for another game.
>>>
>>>Alan

>>>--
>>>Alan S. Estenson aestenson<at>comcast.net
>>>(remove *nospam* when replying)
>>>http://www.mn-rocketry.net

Well I've pondered long enouph. I just discovered the problem. Thanks
for the replies and help. Helps to bounce ideas off the folks.
I opened up my Stargate. Sure enouph it's 3/4". Now why is it
fitting perfectly on that piece but not this? Then I noticed
something about the buttons. Come to find out the buttons didn't have
such a long contact tip as on this project.
The plaster of paris mold making fix as well as re-drilling a new
plexi were averted.

I sliced the tips of the buttons in half. I'll have some pics up
later, on the site. Works like a charm but I'll need to pick up some
'Williams' leaf switches that are extended and mount to wood in a
short while. Have something in front of that that needs settled
first. Thanks everybody.