Need help/info on Wireless Access Points

Okay... here's the break down. I am new to the whole Wireless Network stuff.
The only reason I am breaking into it is because I have purchased Creative's
Wireless Music system which uses 802.11b technology to access your MP3
collection right off your hard drive. Where I think is messed up is that
with no prior wireless gear, I purchased only the Creative Wireless Music
system and a D-Link Wireless Access Point. My question is this... will I be
able to connect the Wireless Access Point directly to a spare Ethernet point
in my PC and be able to work with just that? I don't need any wireless
internet capabilities as I am only running one PC in my home. The only
reason I need a wireless signal is to allow my PC and the Wireless Music
system to communicate with each other. What is the minimum equipment I need
to make this happen? The Access Point shipped out to me today but I can
always return it and get the right piece of hardware, especially since the
Wireless Music system won't ship for a few days still.

Thanks for any help I can get. I've searched all over the web trying to find
out if a WAP can communicate directly with an Ethernet card instead of a
router but did not have any luck. Thanks again.

Hucklebuck

You should have no problem in connecting an Access Point directly to
your PC. The newer AP's can accept either straight-thru or cross-over
cables. So, you shouldn't have any problem with the question of "which
cable should I use?".

I don't know HOW the Creative unit works. But, I'd assume it either
is (or can be) configured as a DHCP client, for dynamic IP assignment.
If so, the AP can be configured as a DHCP server.

- Dan -

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:20:45 GMT, "Hucklebuck" <fmiller10@nc.rr.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for any help I can get. I've searched all over the web trying to find
>out if a WAP can communicate directly with an Ethernet card instead of a
>router but did not have any luck.

you should be able to do this, may need a crossover RJ45 cable if the
AP doesn't do auto sensing.

a small hub for $30 (eg at Best Buy Netgear 4-Port 10Base-T Ethernet
Hub Model: EN104TP) would resolve the problem if there was one.

The D-link 900AP http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-900AP says
"The Ethernet port is used to connect the Wireless Access Point to the
Ethernet LAN or a single computer using an Ethernet cable (RJ-45)."
which sounds encouraging.

Phil

Thanks for the info guys. You have eased my worries, I was afraid I would
have to send the AP back once it got here and then I'd get the Wireless
Music player and not be able to use it until the correct wireless hardware
got here. I ordered the D-Link 700AP so hopefully it can communicate with a
single computer as D-Link claims the 900AP can. I guess I'll find out for
sure when the Creative unit gets here. I'll post an update of whether or not
it works or not just in case anyone else runs into a similar problem. Thanks
again.

Hucklebuck