New Mother Board

I just had to replace the mother board on my computer
Its a Asus P4PE motherboard

After replacing the motherboard,
I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
warranty replacement board from Asus.

The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
my USB printer or camera to work...

Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
hard drive...

What should I do to get this right???
In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!

Thanks!!!!

anna

"SeaWolf" <Gfreed45@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just had to replace the mother board on my computer
> Its a Asus P4PE motherboard
>
> After replacing the motherboard,
> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>
> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
> my USB printer or camera to work...
>
> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
> hard drive...
>
> What should I do to get this right???
> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>
> Thanks!!!!

It's possible that the replacement MB has a later BIOS than your previous
one, so reinstall the drivers for the Intel chipset and Intel Application
Accelerator from the support CD that accompanied the MB. You didn't say, but
assuming you're using the built-in audio, install the audio drivers as well.

Re:examine your motherboard installation. Make sure your USB connections are
correct. Check your BIOS to ensure you didn't inadvertently disable USB 2.0
capability (PCI Configuration section). Ditto for onboard sound assuming
you're using that function and not a separate sound card.

Re:check your speaker connections to ensure they're properly connected to
the correct MB port(s).
Anna

johnf

The first thing I'd do after a complete MOBO replacement is check all my
mechanical connections & cables to ensure they're in the correct places.
Software is only a secondary consideration and could cause more problems if
you play with that first.
Is the MOBO exactly the same model as the old one, and why did you have to
replace it?

--

johnf

>I just had to replace the mother board on my computer
> Its a Asus P4PE motherboard
>
> After replacing the motherboard,
> I just hooked up the hard drive I was using and the computer
> did come back up. The new motherboard is another P4PE
> warranty replacement board from Asus.
>
> The computer is working but I can't get sound or USB services
> The computer doesn't even seem to know that sound hardware
> exists on this new motherboard for some reason... The USB, I
> have no idea why its not working other then the fact I can't get
> my USB printer or camera to work...
>
> Do I have to "Reload" XP? I don't want to loose what's on my
> hard drive...
>
> What should I do to get this right???
> In all the years I've had computers I've never had a motherboard die
> before so I'm not sure how to proceed!!!
>
> Thanks!!!!

frodo

did you walk thru the bios settings? the new MB came w/ defaults that are
net necessarily what you had on the old MB, you should review them.
Perhaps the on-board sound is disabled. Check everything. check bios
version too.