  • Computers
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Brands
April 15, 2005 12:49:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.

My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
zipped along pretty good).

I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???

I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.

Marilyn B.

More about : upgrading norton 2005

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:49:58 AM

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>
> My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> zipped along pretty good).
>
> I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
> 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
> uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>
> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

Marilyn,

Try AVG Grisoft 7. Download it, then disconnect from the web. Uninstall
Norton, reboot, then install AVG. Connect to the web and update then scan.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5

If you don't like it, then you can purchase something else. I can't
recommend E-Trust anymore....

Stew
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:49:59 AM

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Marilyn,
>
> Try AVG Grisoft 7. Download it, then disconnect from the web. Uninstall
> Norton, reboot, then install AVG. Connect to the web and update then scan.
>
> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5
>
> If you don't like it, then you can purchase something else. I can't
> recommend E-Trust anymore....

Another anti-virus program to look at is NOD32 (http://www.nod32.com).

Very low on system resources (something that NAV can *not* claim!).

Notan
Related resources
April 15, 2005 4:07:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>
> My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> zipped along pretty good).
>
> I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
> 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
> uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>
> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?SP=10023&PN=1...
"eTrustT EZ Antivirus" is what I use. It will not slow you down. AVG and
Avast are supposed to be ok to. Tim
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:09:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

After being a Nortonista for more years than I care to admit, I finally got
tired of certain things......principally the fouled updates and the
ever-increasing subscription price. Also, 2005 would not work with my
regular (and much-preferred) anti-spam program.

I recommend this, and there is a fully functional 30-day trial.

http://esd.element5.com/demoreg.html?productid=544568&l...

just be sure to remove every vestige of norton. there are instructions at
the symantec site, or google it.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>
> My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> zipped along pretty good).
>
> I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
> 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
> uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>
> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:05:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:57 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
<burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>
>My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
>anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
>that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
>about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
>zipped along pretty good).
>
>I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
>'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
>properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
>2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
>the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
>uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>
>I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>
>Marilyn B.

I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
now.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 15, 2005 1:05:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from accessing
the net?(kills Winsock)

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:57 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
> <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> >Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> >definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
> >
> >My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> >anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> >that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> >about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> >zipped along pretty good).
> >
> >I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005
doesn't
> >'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> >properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> >2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> >the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000
> >uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
> >
> >I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> >opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> >computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
> >
> >Marilyn B.
>

> I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
> posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
> now.
>
> --
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:29:52 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from accessing
>the net?(kills Winsock)

I haven't had one like that yet. Generally, my A/V solution is
personal intelligence. It really helps to know things. Particularly,
DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS!! The only viruses I've found in a long time
have been embedded in HTML from email or newsgroup messages.

BTW, the virus I found recently was in an email attachment. I don't
use OE and so don't give viral spam a chance.

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
>news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:57 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
>> <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>> >definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>> >
>> >My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
>> >anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
>> >that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
>> >about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
>> >zipped along pretty good).
>> >
>> >I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005
>doesn't
>> >'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
>> >properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
>> >2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
>> >the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000
>> >uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>> >
>> >I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>> >opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>> >computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>> >
>> >Marilyn B.
>>

>> I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
>> posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
>> now.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
>> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
>> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 15, 2005 5:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

turned off 'html' in OE long ago Mark.. plain text receive only....

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:29:52 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from
accessing
> >the net?(kills Winsock)
> >

> I haven't had one like that yet. Generally, my A/V solution is
> personal intelligence. It really helps to know things. Particularly,
> DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS!! The only viruses I've found in a long time
> have been embedded in HTML from email or newsgroup messages.
>
> BTW, the virus I found recently was in an email attachment. I don't
> use OE and so don't give viral spam a chance.
>

> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
> >news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...

Has

> >doesn't

> >> I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
> >> posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
> >> now.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark Lloyd
> >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
> >>
> >> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> >> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> >> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
> >

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:50:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I always make a boot disk even with XP. You can download a free dos
virus program, "F-Prot Antivirus" at
http://www.vht-dk.dk/vhtdk/pc/download.htm
Prepare the floppy disks as instructed. Try to keep it current. I had
to use this for my nephews computer. I haven't got a virus in many many
years. Being careful about web sites and not opening emails you are not
familiar with.

My ISP (Cox Cable) and I know that AT&T check emails for virus before
they put them through. I use Netscape Browser. I also have Norton's
2003 virus program which also checks my emails and since I'm networked I
use Norton's 2003 Personal Firewall.

Joan

JAD wrote:
> out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from accessing
> the net?(kills Winsock)
>

> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
> news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...
>
>>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:57 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
>><burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>>>definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>>>
>>>My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
>>>anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
>>>that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
>>>about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
>>>zipped along pretty good).
>>>
>>>I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005
>
> doesn't
>
>>>'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
>>>properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
>>>2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
>>>the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000

>>>uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>>>
>>>I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>>>opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>>>computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>>>
>>>Marilyn B.
>>

>>I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
>>posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
>>now.
>>
>>--
>>Mark Lloyd
>>http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>>"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
>>have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
>>contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:49:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:12:15 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>turned off 'html' in OE long ago Mark.. plain text receive only....

Good.

The default of "on" is dangrerous, considering that too many people
won't think to change it (and remember to change it after EVERY
re-installation, and notice if any upgrades change it). Also, are you
sure MS software never changes it back or makes exceptions? It's safer
to use a program that doesn't HAVE HTML support (it would probably
still link to OE for that, but at least you get a choice).

Other programs still have advantages.

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:29:52 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from
>accessing
>> >the net?(kills Winsock)
>> >

>> I haven't had one like that yet. Generally, my A/V solution is
>> personal intelligence. It really helps to know things. Particularly,
>> DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS!! The only viruses I've found in a long time
>> have been embedded in HTML from email or newsgroup messages.
>>
>> BTW, the virus I found recently was in an email attachment. I don't
>> use OE and so don't give viral spam a chance.
>>

>> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
>> >news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...

>Has
>concerned
>posts
>always

>> >doesn't
>including
>2000

>> --
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
>> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
>> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 15, 2005 7:49:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

no I disagree, being responsible for the 'switch' is better than having some
one say they're doing it for you. Leaving it out feeds the ego's of those
who create the chaos. When my folks want to send a greeting card link or
grandkids art work, whatever,.. I would still want to see that. I think
people should read more, learn more than just the click sequence to get to
email.

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
news:D 0a061ti505tt1n8iuhk21mtnsfsatj36i@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:12:15 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >turned off 'html' in OE long ago Mark.. plain text receive only....
> >
> Good.
>
> The default of "on" is dangrerous, considering that too many people
> won't think to change it (and remember to change it after EVERY
> re-installation, and notice if any upgrades change it). Also, are you
> sure MS software never changes it back or makes exceptions? It's safer
> to use a program that doesn't HAVE HTML support (it would probably
> still link to OE for that, but at least you get a choice).
>
> Other programs still have advantages.
>

> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message

> >accessing
> >> >

> >> I haven't had one like that yet. Generally, my A/V solution is
> >> personal intelligence. It really helps to know things. Particularly,
> >> DON'T USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS!! The only viruses I've found in a long time
> >> have been embedded in HTML from email or newsgroup messages.
> >>
> >> BTW, the virus I found recently was in an email attachment. I don't
> >> use OE and so don't give viral spam a chance.

> >Has
> >concerned
> >posts
> >always

> >including
> >2000

I've

> >> --
> >> Mark Lloyd
> >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
> >>
> >> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> >> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> >> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
> >

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:06:03 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:50:37 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:

>I always make a boot disk even with XP. You can download a free dos
>virus program, "F-Prot Antivirus" at
>http://www.vht-dk.dk/vhtdk/pc/download.htm
>Prepare the floppy disks as instructed. Try to keep it current.

That has some of the same advantages as the online scanner I posted
about. How about using BOTH (your floppy and the online scanner) for
extra security?

> I had
>to use this for my nephews computer. I haven't got a virus in many many
>years. Being careful about web sites and not opening emails you are not
>familiar with.

That's why I say don't use Outlook Express. By default, it opens them
for you. Although text is harmless, HTML is a common carrier of
viruses, etc. (as another poster said) you CAN turn HTML off, but are
you sure it's REALLY, COMPLETELY off and will stay off? It'd be safer
to use a program that doesn't support HTML.

Being careful does make a lot of difference. The only infection I've
had in several years was spyware from a mistakenly opened HTML
attachment. I have had a few viruses detected, but they were always
contained in unopened attachments. Even that infection did little
harm, since I had a good firewall and understood a few things. The
firewall put up a dialog box with something like this "Program 'adbot'
it attempting to open a TCP connection to http://www.adscamserv.com on
port 25 (SMTP). Do you want to allow this?". Port 25 is used for
sending email, and ONLY your email program (or virus scanner if it
checks email) should use this port. My email program is definately NOT
called "adbot", so the obvious response here is NO.

>My ISP (Cox Cable) and I know that AT&T check emails for virus before
>they put them through.

I have Cox too (cox.net rather than cox-internet.com). It also detects
some spam and puts "-- spam --" on the subject line so it's easy to
set up a filter. I checked it for several months and found no "false
negatives".

> I use Netscape Browser.

That used to be good, but people have been saying it's getting bloated
and contains adware. How about Firefox?

> I also have Norton's
>2003 virus program which also checks my emails and since I'm networked I
>use Norton's 2003 Personal Firewall.

Another thing (Norton) that used to be good. Like Compaq.

>Joan
>

>JAD wrote:
>> out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from accessing
>> the net?(kills Winsock)
>>

>> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
>> news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...

>> doesn't

>>>I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
>>>posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
>>>now.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mark Lloyd
>>>http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>>
>>>"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
>>>have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
>>>contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 15, 2005 10:13:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:27:04 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>no I disagree, being responsible for the 'switch' is better than having some
>one say they're doing it for you. Leaving it out feeds the ego's of those
>who create the chaos. When my folks want to send a greeting card link or
>grandkids art work, whatever,.. I would still want to see that. I think
>people should read more, learn more than just the click sequence to get to
>email.

Yes, people should learn more. You should not see the HTML until
you've had a chance to think about it and decide if it's safe.

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
>news:D 0a061ti505tt1n8iuhk21mtnsfsatj36i@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:12:15 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >turned off 'html' in OE long ago Mark.. plain text receive only....
>> >
>> Good.
>>
>> The default of "on" is dangrerous, considering that too many people
>> won't think to change it (and remember to change it after EVERY
>> re-installation, and notice if any upgrades change it). Also, are you
>> sure MS software never changes it back or makes exceptions? It's safer
>> to use a program that doesn't HAVE HTML support (it would probably
>> still link to OE for that, but at least you get a choice).
>>
>> Other programs still have advantages.
>>

>> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message

>> >accessing

>> >Has
>> >concerned
>> >posts
>> >always

>install
>get
>> >including
>> >2000

>I've

>> --
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
>> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
>> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 15, 2005 10:13:53 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:27:04 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >no I disagree, being responsible for the 'switch' is better than having some
> >one say they're doing it for you. Leaving it out feeds the ego's of those
> >who create the chaos. When my folks want to send a greeting card link or
> >grandkids art work, whatever,.. I would still want to see that. I think
> >people should read more, learn more than just the click sequence to get to
> >email.
> >

> Yes, people should learn more. You should not see the HTML until
> you've had a chance to think about it and decide if it's safe.

The operative word is "should."

In reality, most people aren't that computer savvy. Yeah, it's
simple enough for you, me, and the vast majority of contributors
to this newsgroup, but we're a *very* small percentage of all
computer users.

Most would choose to have things done for them or, at least,
the easiest way possible.

Notan
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:40:49 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:29:27 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:27:04 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >no I disagree, being responsible for the 'switch' is better than having some
>> >one say they're doing it for you. Leaving it out feeds the ego's of those
>> >who create the chaos. When my folks want to send a greeting card link or
>> >grandkids art work, whatever,.. I would still want to see that. I think
>> >people should read more, learn more than just the click sequence to get to
>> >email.
>> >

>> Yes, people should learn more. You should not see the HTML until
>> you've had a chance to think about it and decide if it's safe.
>
>The operative word is "should."
>
>In reality, most people aren't that computer savvy. Yeah, it's
>simple enough for you, me, and the vast majority of contributors
>to this newsgroup, but we're a *very* small percentage of all
>computer users.
>
>Most would choose to have things done for them or, at least,
>the easiest way possible.
>
>Notan

True. Some are even hostile to the possability of knowledge.

You might have seen the times I told about how knowledge limits
virus/spyware/etc... attacks on my computer. I have had no virus
infections for several years and only one spyware infection, which was
severely limited by a good firewall (definately NOT the one that comes
with XP) and knowing about port 25.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 16, 2005 3:12:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:57 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
> <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
>> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>>snipped<<
>> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>>
>> Marilyn B.
>
>In news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com,
>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> typed:

> I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
> posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
> now.

But you won't have real time protection which catches probably 99% of
viruses. You could be eaten up with malware by the time you get to your
'online scanner'.

....Allen
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:12:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:12:23 GMT, "Allen L." <notvalid@notvalid.com>
wrote:

>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:49:57 -0300, "Marilyn E. Burford"
>> <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>>> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>>>snipped<<
>>> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>>> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>>> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>>>
>>> Marilyn B.
>>
>>In news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com,
>>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> typed:
>
>> I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
>> posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
>> now.
>
>But you won't have real time protection which catches probably 99% of
>viruses.

I use intelligence and knowledge for that. They have been very
sucessful.

I have even posted some of the specific techniques. They're usually
ignored. Too many people would rather have "easy" than "good".

> You could be eaten up with malware by the time you get to your
>'online scanner'.

BTW, I've had only one infection in the last several years (even with
a constant interconnection for more than a year). That was spyware and
didn't get past the firewall.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 16, 2005 1:46:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Mark, I tried to answer Jad's question regarding not being able to get
on line because of a virus. Yes, there are some very good online
antivirus scanners, but you may need to use a dos scanner if you can't
get on the internet.

With Netscape I don't need to setup a filter, the browser has a little
button to click when you want the email to become junk mail (spam) click
it and off it goes into the trash folder. Out of sometimes 60 emails 30
or 40 of them go right into the delete folder.

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:50:37 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
>

>>I always make a boot disk even with XP. You can download a free dos
>>virus program, "F-Prot Antivirus" at
>>http://www.vht-dk.dk/vhtdk/pc/download.htm
>>Prepare the floppy disks as instructed. Try to keep it current.
>

> That has some of the same advantages as the online scanner I posted
> about. How about using BOTH (your floppy and the online scanner) for
> extra security?
>

>> I had
>>to use this for my nephews computer. I haven't got a virus in many many
>>years. Being careful about web sites and not opening emails you are not
>>familiar with.
>>

> That's why I say don't use Outlook Express. By default, it opens them
> for you. Although text is harmless, HTML is a common carrier of
> viruses, etc. (as another poster said) you CAN turn HTML off, but are
> you sure it's REALLY, COMPLETELY off and will stay off? It'd be safer
> to use a program that doesn't support HTML.
>
> Being careful does make a lot of difference. The only infection I've
> had in several years was spyware from a mistakenly opened HTML
> attachment. I have had a few viruses detected, but they were always
> contained in unopened attachments. Even that infection did little
> harm, since I had a good firewall and understood a few things. The
> firewall put up a dialog box with something like this "Program 'adbot'
> it attempting to open a TCP connection to http://www.adscamserv.com on
> port 25 (SMTP). Do you want to allow this?". Port 25 is used for
> sending email, and ONLY your email program (or virus scanner if it
> checks email) should use this port. My email program is definately NOT
> called "adbot", so the obvious response here is NO.
>

>>My ISP (Cox Cable) and I know that AT&T check emails for virus before
>>they put them through.
>

> I have Cox too (cox.net rather than cox-internet.com). It also detects
> some spam and puts "-- spam --" on the subject line so it's easy to
> set up a filter. I checked it for several months and found no "false
> negatives".
>

>>I use Netscape Browser.
>

> That used to be good, but people have been saying it's getting bloated
> and contains adware. How about Firefox?
>

>> I also have Norton's
>>2003 virus program which also checks my emails and since I'm networked I
>>use Norton's 2003 Personal Firewall.
>>

> Another thing (Norton) that used to be good. Like Compaq.
>

>>Joan
>>

>>JAD wrote:
>>
>>>out of curiosity, what do you do when the virus prevents you from accessing
>>>the net?(kills Winsock)
>>>

>>>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message
>>>news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com...

>>>doesn't

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:45:34 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:46:38 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:

>Mark, I tried to answer Jad's question regarding not being able to get
>on line because of a virus. Yes, there are some very good online
>antivirus scanners, but you may need to use a dos scanner if you can't
>get on the internet.

Yes, you may need to. As soon as you get online, you may want to use
the online one too.

>With Netscape I don't need to setup a filter, the browser has a little
>button to click when you want the email to become junk mail (spam) click
>it and off it goes into the trash folder.

OK. The filter makes it automatic. People have different preferences
about what they want to use. Actually, you'd need both. A filter that
won't delete anything important, will let some spam through.

> Out of sometimes 60 emails 30
>or 40 of them go right into the delete folder.
>
>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:50:37 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I always make a boot disk even with XP. You can download a free dos
>>>virus program, "F-Prot Antivirus" at
>>>http://www.vht-dk.dk/vhtdk/pc/download.htm
>>>Prepare the floppy disks as instructed. Try to keep it current.
>>

>> That has some of the same advantages as the online scanner I posted
>> about. How about using BOTH (your floppy and the online scanner) for
>> extra security?
>>

>>> I had
>>>to use this for my nephews computer. I haven't got a virus in many many
>>>years. Being careful about web sites and not opening emails you are not
>>>familiar with.
>>>

>> That's why I say don't use Outlook Express. By default, it opens them
>> for you. Although text is harmless, HTML is a common carrier of
>> viruses, etc. (as another poster said) you CAN turn HTML off, but are
>> you sure it's REALLY, COMPLETELY off and will stay off? It'd be safer
>> to use a program that doesn't support HTML.
>>
>> Being careful does make a lot of difference. The only infection I've
>> had in several years was spyware from a mistakenly opened HTML
>> attachment. I have had a few viruses detected, but they were always
>> contained in unopened attachments. Even that infection did little
>> harm, since I had a good firewall and understood a few things. The
>> firewall put up a dialog box with something like this "Program 'adbot'
>> it attempting to open a TCP connection to http://www.adscamserv.com on
>> port 25 (SMTP). Do you want to allow this?". Port 25 is used for
>> sending email, and ONLY your email program (or virus scanner if it
>> checks email) should use this port. My email program is definately NOT
>> called "adbot", so the obvious response here is NO.
>>

>>>My ISP (Cox Cable) and I know that AT&T check emails for virus before
>>>they put them through.
>>

>> I have Cox too (cox.net rather than cox-internet.com). It also detects
>> some spam and puts "-- spam --" on the subject line so it's easy to
>> set up a filter. I checked it for several months and found no "false
>> negatives".
>>

>>>I use Netscape Browser.
>>

>> That used to be good, but people have been saying it's getting bloated
>> and contains adware. How about Firefox?
>>

>>> I also have Norton's
>>>2003 virus program which also checks my emails and since I'm networked I
>>>use Norton's 2003 Personal Firewall.
>>>

>> Another thing (Norton) that used to be good. Like Compaq.
>>

>>>Joan

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 16, 2005 7:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

First and foremost NEVER NEVER renew the subscriptions to NAV. The
subscription renewal is the biggest scam of the industry. Always go buy a
newer version. It seems and I have seen it several times that even a NAV one
year old is not sufficient to handle some of the newer viruses even if you
have the latest defenitions. This was true with the GAobot virus and several
others. I had people with NAV2004 and latest definitions but NAV could not
handle it but NAV2005 was able to. This is only one example but I have seen
others. Also due to rebates it is only a small difference to renew the
subscription compared to buying a new NAV anyway.

I have seen NAV2005 work flawlessly with WindowsMe. Norton Internet Security
sometimes has a problem with slow computers so if you are concerned then go
with NAV2005.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>
> My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> zipped along pretty good).
>
> I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
> 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
> uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>
> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

April 17, 2005 1:22:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>
> My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> zipped along pretty good).
>
> I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
> 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
> uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>
> I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>
> Marilyn B.

Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...

SteveR
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:22:55 AM

SteveR wrote:

> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
> > Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
> > definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
> >
> > My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
> > anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
> > that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
> > about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
> > zipped along pretty good).
> >
> > I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
> > 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
> > properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
> > 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
> > the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
> > uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
> >
> > I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
> > opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
> > computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
> >
> > Marilyn B.
> >
> Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...

There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
*no* affiliation with MS.

Notan
April 17, 2005 1:52:29 AM

> SteveR wrote:
>>
>> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>> news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
>> > Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>> > definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>> >
>> > My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
>> > anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
>> > that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
>> > about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
>> > zipped along pretty good).
>> >
>> > I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005
>> > doesn't
>> > 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
>> > properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
>> > 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection,
>> > including
>> > the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000
>> > uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>> >
>> > I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>> > opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>> > computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>> >
>> > Marilyn B.
>> >
>> Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...
>
> There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
> *no* affiliation with MS.
>
> Notan

Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.

SteveR
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:52:30 AM

SteveR wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > SteveR wrote:
> >>
> >> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> >> news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

> >> Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...
> >
> > There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
> > *no* affiliation with MS.
> >
> > Notan
>
> Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
> Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
> Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.

I'm not bashing MS, just pointing out that an anti-virus program
doesn't have to be on MS's "list" in order to be good.

Notan
April 17, 2005 2:32:25 AM

> SteveR wrote:
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>> > There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>> > *no* affiliation with MS.
>> >
>> > Notan
>>
>> Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
>> Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>> Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.
>
> I'm not bashing MS, just pointing out that an anti-virus program
> doesn't have to be on MS's "list" in order to be good.
>
> Notan

Agreed, plenty of other brands available.

SteveR
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:39:57 AM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:46:38 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
>

>>Mark, I tried to answer Jad's question regarding not being able to get
>>on line because of a virus. Yes, there are some very good online
>>antivirus scanners, but you may need to use a dos scanner if you can't
>>get on the internet.
>>

> Yes, you may need to. As soon as you get online, you may want to use
> the online one too.
>

>>With Netscape I don't need to setup a filter, the browser has a little
>>button to click when you want the email to become junk mail (spam) click
>>it and off it goes into the trash folder.
>

> OK. The filter makes it automatic. People have different preferences
> about what they want to use. Actually, you'd need both. A filter that
> won't delete anything important, will let some spam through.

No, NS put into the trash but does not delete it until you do. If
something slips through, you then can right click the email and choose
menu "mark - not as junk". Quick and easy.

>> Out of sometimes 60 emails 30
>>or 40 of them go right into the delete folder.
>>
>>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>That has some of the same advantages as the online scanner I posted
>>>about. How about using BOTH (your floppy and the online scanner) for
>>>extra security?

>>>That's why I say don't use Outlook Express. By default, it opens them
>>>for you. Although text is harmless, HTML is a common carrier of
>>>viruses, etc. (as another poster said) you CAN turn HTML off, but are
>>>you sure it's REALLY, COMPLETELY off and will stay off? It'd be safer
>>>to use a program that doesn't support HTML.
>>>
>>>Being careful does make a lot of difference. The only infection I've
>>>had in several years was spyware from a mistakenly opened HTML
>>>attachment. I have had a few viruses detected, but they were always
>>>contained in unopened attachments. Even that infection did little
>>>harm, since I had a good firewall and understood a few things. The
>>>firewall put up a dialog box with something like this "Program 'adbot'
>>>it attempting to open a TCP connection to http://www.adscamserv.com on
>>>port 25 (SMTP). Do you want to allow this?". Port 25 is used for
>>>sending email, and ONLY your email program (or virus scanner if it
>>>checks email) should use this port. My email program is definately NOT
>>>called "adbot", so the obvious response here is NO.

>>>I have Cox too (cox.net rather than cox-internet.com). It also detects
>>>some spam and puts "-- spam --" on the subject line so it's easy to
>>>set up a filter. I checked it for several months and found no "false
>>>negatives".

>>>That used to be good, but people have been saying it's getting bloated
>>>and contains adware. How about Firefox?

>>>Another thing (Norton) that used to be good. Like Compaq.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:13:04 AM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:12:23 GMT, "Allen L." <notvalid@notvalid.com>
> wrote:

>>>In news:p eiv51dsr7er6q2f0p0vltchbrrc9rf77v@4ax.com,
>>>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> typed:
>>
>>>I recommend an online virus scanner, rather than a resident one. I've
>>>posted a URL many times recently, and don't have time to repeat that
>>>now.
>>
>>But you won't have real time protection which catches probably 99% of
>>viruses.
>
> I use intelligence and knowledge for that.

And you're infallible? I hear there's a job opening in Rome for a fellow
with that skill?

> They have been very sucessful.

Indeed, but are they perfect?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:14:25 AM

SteveR wrote:
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>
>>SteveR wrote:
>>
>>>"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>>>news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

>>>Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...
>>
>>There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>>*no* affiliation with MS.
>>
>>Notan
>
> Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
> Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
> Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.

What sort of bizarre logic is this?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:14:49 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:39:57 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:46:38 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Mark, I tried to answer Jad's question regarding not being able to get
>>>on line because of a virus. Yes, there are some very good online
>>>antivirus scanners, but you may need to use a dos scanner if you can't
>>>get on the internet.
>>>

>> Yes, you may need to. As soon as you get online, you may want to use
>> the online one too.
>>

>>>With Netscape I don't need to setup a filter, the browser has a little
>>>button to click when you want the email to become junk mail (spam) click
>>>it and off it goes into the trash folder.
>>

>> OK. The filter makes it automatic. People have different preferences
>> about what they want to use. Actually, you'd need both. A filter that
>> won't delete anything important, will let some spam through.
>
>No, NS put into the trash but does not delete it until you do. If
>something slips through, you then can right click the email and choose
>menu "mark - not as junk". Quick and easy.

Normally true. Of course, you'd be looking at it then. Something you
should probably do, at least until you're sure that only junk is being
sorted this way. Then, you can change the filter to make it delete
automatically.

>>> Out of sometimes 60 emails 30
>>>or 40 of them go right into the delete folder.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 2:17:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:13:04 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>But you won't have real time protection which catches probably 99% of
>>>viruses.
>>
>> I use intelligence and knowledge for that.
>
>And you're infallible? I hear there's a job opening in Rome for a fellow
>with that skill?

And you should know that there is no such thing as 100% infallible.
Even with those A/V programs.

>> They have been very sucessful.
>
>Indeed, but are they perfect?

Perfection (the absolute form, rather than just OK) is incompatible
with reality as we know it, and can't exist ANYWHERE (so, of course,
it doesn't exist in A/V software or anywhere else).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 2:17:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> And you should know that there is no such thing as 100% infallible.
> Even with those A/V programs.

I have never fallen while using an A/V. I slipped once, but I caught myself
before actually hitting the floor.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:18:48 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:27:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>SteveR wrote:
>>
>> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>> news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...
>> > Well it's finally happened. I can't renew my subscription for virus
>> > definitions for my NAV 2000 as it isn't supported anymore.
>> >
>> > My computer is a Dim 4100, P3 866, 512mg of SDRAM, running Win ME. Has
>> > anyone tried upgrading to NAV 2005 with a similar setup. I am concerned
>> > that with my older machine it will, (to use a phrase I've seen in posts
>> > about Norton) make my machine 'run like a pig' (and so far, it's always
>> > zipped along pretty good).
>> >
>> > I also have been reading in archived posts at Google that NAV 2005 doesn't
>> > 'make friends' very easily with Win ME...often hard to get to install
>> > properly, makes your system act strange afterward, etc. If I DON'T get
>> > 2005, what are opinions re some of the other virus protection, including
>> > the free ones like AVG and Avast? AND...will it be easy to get NAV 2000 to
>> > uninstall if I DO switch to another virus program???
>> >
>> > I really don't know what I should do at this point and welcome any
>> > opinions, especially from those who have a similar setup in their
>> > computer, run Win ME and have tried to upgrade. Thanks much.
>> >
>> > Marilyn B.
>> >
>> Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...
>
>There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>*no* affiliation with MS.
>
>Notan

And MS is definately NOT the best source for protection software.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 2:18:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I call Bill on all my software decisions, but now I only get his voice mail
with a suggestion to call Linus Torvald.

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:27:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>SteveR wrote:
>>>
>>> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>>> news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

>>> Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...
>>
>>There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>>*no* affiliation with MS.
>>
>>Notan
>
> And MS is definately NOT the best source for protection software.
>
> --
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:19:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:52:29 -0400, "SteveR" <nospam@nospam.nospam>
wrote:

>"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> SteveR wrote:
>>>
>>> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>>> news:p ine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1050413234159.26660A-100000@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca...

>>> Take your pick of 6 different Antivirus programs
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/defa...
>>
>> There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>> *no* affiliation with MS.
>>
>> Notan
>
>Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
>Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.
>
>SteveR

Software use does not prevent honesty. In many cases MS is inferior.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 2:23:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:14:25 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:

>SteveR wrote:
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>>>There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>>>*no* affiliation with MS.
>>>
>>>Notan
>>
>> Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
>> Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>> Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.
>
>What sort of bizarre logic is this?

I've seen this many times. It's stupid error-enhancing logic, used to
maintain and perpetuate wrongdoing.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:38:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:56:36 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>> And you should know that there is no such thing as 100% infallible.
>> Even with those A/V programs.
>>
> I have never fallen while using an A/V. I slipped once, but I caught myself
>before actually hitting the floor.

A case of a very limited sample.

I've never heard of anyone dying while using a personal computer.
Maybe someone would consider this to be proof that computer use leads
to immortality.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 4:41:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:23:51 -0500, Fred <flawton@homeplace.noemail>
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:14:25 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
><Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:
>
>>SteveR wrote:
>>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>>> Great, you shouldn't bash Microsoft when your running windows yourself.
>>> Your Newsgroup addy X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
>>> Now if you where running Linux or a MAC it would be different.
>>
>>What sort of bizarre logic is this?
>
>I've seen this many times. It's stupid error-enhancing logic, used to
>maintain and perpetuate wrongdoing.

However, you can benefit from OTHER PEOPLE using that logic (at least
with A/V). This would mean that fewer people use non-MS A/V scanners,
and so fewer viruses will be written to disable them. It's a case of
the best thing to do is what the FEWEST others do.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 4:42:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:53:09 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>I call Bill on all my software decisions, but now I only get his voice mail
>with a suggestion to call Linus Torvald.

So, in a few years, Linux will be an inferior system (since it'll be
so popular?).

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message

>>>There are some very good anti-virus programs, out there, that have
>>>*no* affiliation with MS.
>>>
>>>Notan
>>
>> And MS is definately NOT the best source for protection software.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
>> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
>> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 4:53:04 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:39:57 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:
>

>>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>Yes, you may need to. As soon as you get online, you may want to use
>>>the online one too.

>>>OK. The filter makes it automatic. People have different preferences
>>>about what they want to use. Actually, you'd need both. A filter that
>>>won't delete anything important, will let some spam through.
>>
>>No, NS put into the trash but does not delete it until you do. If
>>something slips through, you then can right click the email and choose
>>menu "mark - not as junk". Quick and easy.
>

> Normally true. Of course, you'd be looking at it then. Something you
> should probably do, at least until you're sure that only junk is being
> sorted this way. Then, you can change the filter to make it delete
> automatically.
:-) I just don't take the chance. I skim through them all. Takes a
second.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:53:05 PM

Joan Hansen wrote:

> <snip>

Between the top-posting, bottom-posting, and middle-posting,
this thread has become impossible to follow.

What was the question? <g>

Notan
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:53:05 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:53:04 -0400, Joan Hansen <user@my.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>No, NS put into the trash but does not delete it until you do. If
>>>something slips through, you then can right click the email and choose
>>>menu "mark - not as junk". Quick and easy.
>>

>> Normally true. Of course, you'd be looking at it then. Something you
>> should probably do, at least until you're sure that only junk is being
>> sorted this way. Then, you can change the filter to make it delete
>> automatically.
>:-) I just don't take the chance. I skim through them all. Takes a
>second.

That's fine. I was just saying that some people would delete then
automatically.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 4:53:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

its alright the thread is no longer about the update of norton
anyway....lol

> Joan Hansen wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Between the top-posting, bottom-posting, and middle-posting,
> this thread has become impossible to follow.
>
> What was the question? <g>
>
> Notan
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:53:06 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:57:53 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Joan Hansen wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>
>Between the top-posting, bottom-posting, and middle-posting,
>this thread has become impossible to follow.

It helps a lot to have a news program, like Agent, that shows new
material differently (different color) that quoted text as well as
posters who make it easier for such programs to work (such as leaving
a blank line between new material and quoted text).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
April 17, 2005 5:01:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nolan, I don't even remember! :-(
but it was fun while it lasted :-)

Notan wrote:

> Joan Hansen wrote:
>
>><snip>
>

> Between the top-posting, bottom-posting, and middle-posting,
> this thread has become impossible to follow.
>
> What was the question? <g>
>
> Notan
April 17, 2005 5:23:57 PM

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:56:36 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>

>>> And you should know that there is no such thing as 100% infallible.
>>> Even with those A/V programs.
>>>
>> I have never fallen while using an A/V. I slipped once, but I caught
>> myself
>>before actually hitting the floor.
>>

> A case of a very limited sample.
>
> I've never heard of anyone dying while using a personal computer.
> Maybe someone would consider this to be proof that computer use leads
> to immortality.

I have felt 'younger' since using a computer,,,maybe its just reminiscing.

> --
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to
> have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb
> contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 5:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Gotcha :-) Mark

Joan

<snip>

> That's fine. I was just saying that some people would delete then
> automatically.

<snip>
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:40:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-me,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@roachmail.comant> wrote in message

> And MS is definately NOT the best source for protection software.

I can only agree whole-heartedly with that sentiment - but hopefully things
are changing!!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

April 17, 2005 11:41:11 PM

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:23:51 -0500, Fred <flawton@homeplace.noemail>
> wrote:

<snip>

Truthfully, I prefer to view my email filtered at the server and then feed
the small remainder to my AV program for breakfast.

:)

Mailwasher is a wonderful thing. Wow. Come to think of it, I've had MW for
about 3 or more years now. Really have come to rely upon it and then let
AVG scan on the way down.

Stew
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:22:07 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 02:13:04 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
> <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:
>

>>Mark Lloyd wrote:

>>>I use intelligence and knowledge for that.
>>
>>And you're infallible? I hear there's a job opening in Rome for a fellow
>>with that skill?
>
> And you should know that there is no such thing as 100% infallible.
> Even with those A/V programs.

Of course, but an automated procedure for a task such as this one is
going to be more consistent than any manual one (I include myself here,
of course). By the same token, I make more arithmetic mistakes balancing
my checkbook than Quicken does, so I stopped balancing it by hand > 10
years ago.

>>>They have been very sucessful.
>>
>>Indeed, but are they perfect?
>
> Perfection (the absolute form, rather than just OK) is incompatible
> with reality as we know it, and can't exist ANYWHERE (so, of course,
> it doesn't exist in A/V software or anywhere else).

see above.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest