Sign in with
Your question

GeForce 6600GT - PC hangs when playing video?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2005 10:46:25 AM

Hey Guys / Girls - This is my first post at TH - so go easy.

I've got a really weird problem with my computer. I bought a Leadtek GeForce 128mb 6600GT card about a year ago now, and up till about 6 months ago, everything worked fine.

Then, all of a sudden, I couldn't play videos anymore. Doesn't matter what type, they all have the same result under XP. I open a video file and the computer hangs. Firstly everything stops working, but the mouse is still active, and then the mouse hangs too. It will sit like this for hours and is only fixed by me rebooting.

I tried opening a video in Linux (Knoppix) and it opened an uncompressed AVI - and played the sound fine, with the video VERY slow - one frame per second ish. WMV's failed to load some driver, and mpegs failed as they do on windows.

I thought windows was to blame - so formatted and reinstalled - same results.

I then thought the graphics card was fubar, so I put my old GeForce 4 MX (64mb) into the machine, and everything started working OK. - I put the newer card back in, and the problem came back - so I presumed that it was at fault - and sent it back to Overclockers, who replaced it.

Now, with the new card, the very same thing happens. I tried the card in my fiancee's old PC last night, its a 4 year old compaq AMD machine, and while the card seems to work OK in that and plays videos fine, when I tried to play GTA San Andreas the graphics were really off - vertexs in the wrong place, textures applied wrong, and it looked as if the world's 'bounding box' was being shown.. very weird!

So, I'm at a complete loss.

Do any of you lot have any idea what could be my problem? I've tried playing with the BIOS settings on my motherboard, but it made no difference.

My PC Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
some cheapo motherboard
SB Live! Value (very old - don't mock me..)
80GB Maxtor HDD
20GB Western Digital HDD
1gb Unbranded Ram
DVD Writer
CD Writer

..and that's about it.

Thanks in advance.

Alex.
October 25, 2005 3:02:16 PM

What media player are you using? I've often had problems with windows media player. Also try different driver revisions, probably starting with the most recent WHQL approved ones (77.77 IIRC)

Try downloading the <A HREF="http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_P..." target="_new">K-lite mega codec pack</A>, installing and using the bundled media player classic. It'll play quicktime and Realplayer stuff too.

Your weird texture problems on your GF's rig were probably driver-related. I've had that problem in the past and fixed it with newer drivers.

Does everything else work fine? If you have no other problems, then it's unlikely to be a hardware issue. I guess there is a chance there's something wrong with your mobo and/or RAM, but if all your games are fine, it's more likely a driver problem or something.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>
October 25, 2005 3:09:47 PM

Cheers for the reply. I'll try downloading those codecs later after work.

I've been using Windows Media Player, Windows Media Player Classic, the DivX player, and a DVD player program. I've tried about 4 different driver packages too - all from the NVidia site. On my fiancee's box with GTA I was using the latest drivers from the NVidia website.

A friend did suggest that it might be mobo related, which is intially why I tried the card in my fiancee's computer.
!