Dell Dimension 4550 Keeps Rebooting

June 29, 2005 1:38:03 AM

I first had this problem when I tried to do the first installation. When it
would get to the part of the setup in windows mode, it would just keep
rebooting. I was able to finally get it to finish installing, and it seemed
to be working fine, untill I tried to make sure all my drivers, applications,
and my cable internet conection were installed. Now when I turn it on it
will only run in windows for 30 seconds or less the reboot. it does this
coninuously.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:19:41 AM

This behavior may occur if Windows throws a fatal error during a typical
operation or during the shutdown process. By default, the computer is
configured to automatically restart during a fatal error.

To view this setting, right-click My Computer , click the Advanced tab,
click Settings under Startup and Recovery , and then view the Automatically
restart check box under System Failure . If the Automatically restart check
box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops
unexpectedly.

If you UNcheck this "Automatically restart", then you should see a fatal
error instead. You can then post the error message here and we may be able
to tell you what to do next.

There is also a handy web site regarding startup/shutdown problems.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I first had this problem when I tried to do the first installation. When
>it
> would get to the part of the setup in windows mode, it would just keep
> rebooting. I was able to finally get it to finish installing, and it
> seemed
> to be working fine, until I tried to make sure all my drivers,
> applications,
> and my cable internet connection were installed. Now when I turn it on it
> will only run in windows for 30 seconds or less then reboot. it does this
> continuously.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:03:01 AM

I have already done this, and it still just continuously reboots.

"Michael T" wrote:

> This behavior may occur if Windows throws a fatal error during a typical
> operation or during the shutdown process. By default, the computer is
> configured to automatically restart during a fatal error.
>
> To view this setting, right-click My Computer , click the Advanced tab,
> click Settings under Startup and Recovery , and then view the Automatically
> restart check box under System Failure . If the Automatically restart check
> box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops
> unexpectedly.
>
> If you UNcheck this "Automatically restart", then you should see a fatal
> error instead. You can then post the error message here and we may be able
> to tell you what to do next.
>
> There is also a handy web site regarding startup/shutdown problems.
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I first had this problem when I tried to do the first installation. When
> >it
> > would get to the part of the setup in windows mode, it would just keep
> > rebooting. I was able to finally get it to finish installing, and it
> > seemed
> > to be working fine, until I tried to make sure all my drivers,
> > applications,
> > and my cable internet connection were installed. Now when I turn it on it
> > will only run in windows for 30 seconds or less then reboot. it does this
> > continuously.

June 29, 2005 8:10:35 PM

Then I would consider any (or all) of the following:

1) Use the Diagnostic CD-ROM that shipped with your Dell computer (Dimension
Resource CD)
2) Try Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while booting). Then scan for
viruses and spyware.
3) Check Device Manager for driver errors
4) Run System File Checker
Go to Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
click OK
5) See if there are any errors in Event Viewer that might be helpful
Go to Start > Run and type
eventvwr.msc
click OK

Finally you may have to consider a Repair Install.

Hopefully you do not have a hardware problem.

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D E61B14A-3A7E-45AB-BFFA-05758C6B563D@microsoft.com...
>I have already done this, and it still just continuously reboots.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> This behavior may occur if Windows throws a fatal error during a typical
>> operation or during the shutdown process. By default, the computer is
>> configured to automatically restart during a fatal error.
>>
>> To view this setting, right-click My Computer , click the Advanced tab,
>> click Settings under Startup and Recovery , and then view the
>> Automatically
>> restart check box under System Failure . If the Automatically restart
>> check
>> box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops
>> unexpectedly.
>>
>> If you UNcheck this "Automatically restart", then you should see a fatal
>> error instead. You can then post the error message here and we may be
>> able
>> to tell you what to do next.
>>
>> There is also a handy web site regarding startup/shutdown problems.
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>>
>> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I first had this problem when I tried to do the first installation.
>> >When
>> >it
>> > would get to the part of the setup in windows mode, it would just keep
>> > rebooting. I was able to finally get it to finish installing, and it
>> > seemed
>> > to be working fine, until I tried to make sure all my drivers,
>> > applications,
>> > and my cable internet connection were installed. Now when I turn it on
>> > it
>> > will only run in windows for 30 seconds or less then reboot. it does
>> > this
>> > continuously.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:10:36 PM

I ran the diagnostic, it took a little over 2 days, but everything check out
good. I don't think there could be any viruses or spyware, both hard drives
were formatted, before I tried to install Windows XP Home. There were some
unknown devices with question marks. I don't think I can do the other two,
bacause Windows won't run long enough before it reboots to run anything.

"Michael T" wrote:

> Then I would consider any (or all) of the following:
>
> 1) Use the Diagnostic CD-ROM that shipped with your Dell computer (Dimension
> Resource CD)
> 2) Try Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while booting). Then scan for
> viruses and spyware.
> 3) Check Device Manager for driver errors
> 4) Run System File Checker
> Go to Start > Run and type
> sfc /scannow
> click OK
> 5) See if there are any errors in Event Viewer that might be helpful
> Go to Start > Run and type
> eventvwr.msc
> click OK
>
> Finally you may have to consider a Repair Install.
>
> Hopefully you do not have a hardware problem.
>
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D E61B14A-3A7E-45AB-BFFA-05758C6B563D@microsoft.com...
> >I have already done this, and it still just continuously reboots.
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> This behavior may occur if Windows throws a fatal error during a typical
> >> operation or during the shutdown process. By default, the computer is
> >> configured to automatically restart during a fatal error.
> >>
> >> To view this setting, right-click My Computer , click the Advanced tab,
> >> click Settings under Startup and Recovery , and then view the
> >> Automatically
> >> restart check box under System Failure . If the Automatically restart
> >> check
> >> box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops
> >> unexpectedly.
> >>
> >> If you UNcheck this "Automatically restart", then you should see a fatal
> >> error instead. You can then post the error message here and we may be
> >> able
> >> to tell you what to do next.
> >>
> >> There is also a handy web site regarding startup/shutdown problems.
> >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
> >>
> >> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:33:39 AM

>I ran the diagnostic, it took a little over 2 days, but everything check
>out
> good. I don't think there could be any viruses or spyware, both hard
> drives
> were formatted, before I tried to install Windows XP Home. There were
> some
> unknown devices with question marks. I don't think I can do the other
> two,
> bacause Windows won't run long enough before it reboots to run anything.

Then perhaps your best option is a Repair Install.
or
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:04:01 PM

I just went ahead and did a format and reinstall. It seems to be working
fine now. I am however having a problem connecting to the internet. Win XP
recognized my cable modem (connected to USB), but when I open my internet
explorer it doesn't seem to be connecting.

"Michael T" wrote:

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I ran the diagnostic, it took a little over 2 days, but everything check
> >out
> > good. I don't think there could be any viruses or spyware, both hard
> > drives
> > were formatted, before I tried to install Windows XP Home. There were
> > some
> > unknown devices with question marks. I don't think I can do the other
> > two,
> > bacause Windows won't run long enough before it reboots to run anything.
> >

> Then perhaps your best option is a Repair Install.
> or
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:41:04 PM

I finnally had got my modem to work, I just had to reset my modem, but now
windows
keeps rebooting. I tried repairing windows, it just rebooted in the middle
of it. I then tried to just do a clean install, but it reboots during the
windows setup.

"daddyzaring" wrote:

> I just went ahead and did a format and reinstall. It seems to be working
> fine now. I am however having a problem connecting to the internet. Win XP
> recognized my cable modem (connected to USB), but when I open my internet
> explorer it doesn't seem to be connecting.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
> > "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I ran the diagnostic, it took a little over 2 days, but everything check
> > >out
> > > good. I don't think there could be any viruses or spyware, both hard
> > > drives
> > > were formatted, before I tried to install Windows XP Home. There were
> > > some
> > > unknown devices with question marks. I don't think I can do the other
> > > two,
> > > bacause Windows won't run long enough before it reboots to run anything.
> > >

> > Then perhaps your best option is a Repair Install.
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> > or
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:54:18 AM

My, my this has been a struggle for you huh?

I'm as puzzled as you and all I can think of is a possible hardware problem
such as memory or hard drive - or less likely - a bad driver (keyboard,
mouse, monitor) or perhaps a problem with the BIOS.

I might consider also posting at:

Please keep us posted and good luck.

>I finally had got my modem to work, I just had to reset my modem, but now
> windows keeps rebooting. I tried repairing windows,
> it just rebooted in the middle
> of it. I then tried to just do a clean install, but it reboots during the
> windows setup.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:02:42 AM

One other thing.

I seem to recall someone suggesting removing (i.e., disconnecting) all
unnecessary devices (printers, modems, faxes, etc.) until you can complete a
clean install.

Hope this helps.

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I finnally had got my modem to work, I just had to reset my modem, but now
> windows
> keeps rebooting. I tried repairing windows, it just rebooted in the
> middle
> of it. I then tried to just do a clean install, but it reboots during the
> windows setup.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:02:43 AM

Ijust put brand new RAM, and another hard drive, and I also did a thourogh
diagnostics that took a little over 2 days, and eveything checked out good.
It was actually working fine untill I tried getting my cable modem, and my
internet connection working. I ended up calling my ISP for help, and they
got my internet to work, but then it started rebooting again. I believe it's
a software, or driver problem (or I am hoping), but I am not sure what to
look for, or fix it if I did.

"Michael T" wrote:

> One other thing.
>
> I seem to recall someone suggesting removing (i.e., disconnecting) all
> unnecessary devices (printers, modems, faxes, etc.) until you can complete a
> clean install.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I finnally had got my modem to work, I just had to reset my modem, but now
> > windows
> > keeps rebooting. I tried repairing windows, it just rebooted in the
> > middle
> > of it. I then tried to just do a clean install, but it reboots during the
> > windows setup.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:37:14 AM

Sometimes the gurus in this newsgroup can make sense out of the Stop Code
(or Stop Message). Assuming that you are unable to find any drivers flagged
as bad in Device Manager ( Start > Run and type devmgmt.msc).

But in order to generate a Stop Code, instead of a reboot, you need to make
the following change.

Right-click My Computer and select Properties.

Advanced (tab) > Startup and Recovery - Settings (button)

Now uncheck "Automatically restart" and click OK.

Now your computer will no longer reboot, but display an error message which
may also include a driver file name.

Please post back with the error message. Or anything that looks suspicious
in Event Viewer ( Start > Run and type eventvwr.msc).

Michael

P.S.
There is a list of Common Stop Messages at:

> I just put brand new RAM, and another hard drive, and I also did a
> thorough
> diagnostics that took a little over 2 days, and everything checked out
> good.
> It was actually working fine until I tried getting my cable modem, and my
> internet connection working. I ended up calling my ISP for help, and they
> got my internet to work, but then it started rebooting again. I believe
> it's
> a software, or driver problem (or I am hoping), but I am not sure what to
> look for, or fix it if I did.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> One other thing.
>>
>> I seem to recall someone suggesting removing (i.e., disconnecting) all
>> unnecessary devices (printers, modems, faxes, etc.) until you can
>> complete a
>> clean install.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I finally had got my modem to work, I just had to reset my modem, but
>> >now
>> > windows
>> > keeps rebooting. I tried repairing windows, it just rebooted in the
>> > middle
>> > of it. I then tried to just do a clean install, but it reboots during
>> > the
>> > windows setup.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:37:15 AM

I just remembered that you claim to have already UNchecked "Automatically
restart".

If this is true (and you have double-checked this) then I am baffled as to
why you do not get a Stop Message. As I stated before perhaps there is
something in Event Viewer.

Or you have an entry under PROBLEM DEVICES.
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.

Now expand the tree labeled Components. Then select Problem Devices.

My theory:
You may have problems with that new RAM. But this is just a wild guess - no
wager made.

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Sometimes the gurus in this newsgroup can make sense out of the Stop Code
> (or Stop Message). Assuming that you are unable to find any drivers
> flagged as bad in Device Manager ( Start > Run and type devmgmt.msc).
>
> But in order to generate a Stop Code, instead of a reboot, you need to
> make the following change.
>
> Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
>
> Advanced (tab) > Startup and Recovery - Settings (button)
>
> Now uncheck "Automatically restart" and click OK.
>
> Now your computer will no longer reboot, but display an error message
> which may also include a driver file name.
>
> Please post back with the error message. Or anything that looks suspicious
> in Event Viewer ( Start > Run and type eventvwr.msc).
>
> Michael
>
> P.S.
> There is a list of Common Stop Messages at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:37:16 AM

In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question mark
icons after them.

"Michael T" wrote:

> I just remembered that you claim to have already UNchecked "Automatically
> restart".
>
> If this is true (and you have double-checked this) then I am baffled as to
> why you do not get a Stop Message. As I stated before perhaps there is
> something in Event Viewer.
>
> Or you have an entry under PROBLEM DEVICES.
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.
>
> Now expand the tree labeled Components. Then select Problem Devices.
>
> My theory:
> You may have problems with that new RAM. But this is just a wild guess - no
> wager made.
>

> "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Sometimes the gurus in this newsgroup can make sense out of the Stop Code
> > (or Stop Message). Assuming that you are unable to find any drivers
> > flagged as bad in Device Manager ( Start > Run and type devmgmt.msc).
> >
> > But in order to generate a Stop Code, instead of a reboot, you need to
> > make the following change.
> >
> > Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
> >
> > Advanced (tab) > Startup and Recovery - Settings (button)
> >
> > Now uncheck "Automatically restart" and click OK.
> >
> > Now your computer will no longer reboot, but display an error message
> > which may also include a driver file name.
> >
> > Please post back with the error message. Or anything that looks suspicious
> > in Event Viewer ( Start > Run and type eventvwr.msc).
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > P.S.
> > There is a list of Common Stop Messages at:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:43:08 AM

What exactly do you mean by unknown device? And what type of device - Sound,
Disk drives, Network adapters, Ports, other?

What happens when you right click on one of them and select "Scan for
hardware changes"?

Anything in Event Viewer under Application or System with a red X?

> In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question
> mark
> icons after them.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:43:09 AM

It is just listed as unknown device. I'd check, but I can get it to finish
installing.

"Michael T" wrote:

> What exactly do you mean by unknown device? And what type of device - Sound,
> Disk drives, Network adapters, Ports, other?
>
> What happens when you right click on one of them and select "Scan for
> hardware changes"?
>
> Anything in Event Viewer under Application or System with a red X?
>

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question
> > mark
> > icons after them.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:52:26 AM

Who is your ISP?

Hopefully it is not Nero, as I just found this:
*************
For some reason, I think earlier versions of Nero did what you said (With
Unknown devices) in Device Manager.As soon as I updated Nero to 6.0.0.23 the
CDR and DVD went back to normal (Under DVD/DCD-ROM drives) in Device
Manager. At first I thought it was an update I had installed for XP. BUT no,
I don't think it had anything to do with XP updates.
BOTH the DVD and burner worked fine though, even when they were unknown
devices. Try getting the latest version of Nero and install
it. See if that fixes the unknown device prob.

************

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question
> mark
> icons after them.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:53:41 AM

How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314464

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question
> mark
> icons after them.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:53:42 AM

I don't have Nero on that computer. Can I troubleshhot without being able to
get into windows(before windows is installed)?
Actually, could that be the problem, I just tried to do a clean install,
that formats the hard drive first, so everything that was on there should be
gone?

"Michael T" wrote:

> How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314464
>
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question
> > mark
> > icons after them.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:44:23 PM

Here's a post (actually a reply) to someone else experiencing reboot
problems with RoadRunner.
******************
If you don't have an Ethernet card in your computer, get one, they only cost
$5 after rebate. If you do have an Ethernet card, you're on the way. Lose
the USB and go in via Ethernet.
******************

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I first had this problem when I tried to do the first installation. When
>it
> would get to the part of the setup in windows mode, it would just keep
> rebooting. I was able to finally get it to finish installing, and it
> seemed
> to be working fine, until I tried to make sure all my drivers,
> applications,
> and my cable internet connection were installed. Now when I turn it on it
> will only run in windows for 30 seconds or less the reboot. it does this
> continuously.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:10:02 PM

I have one but having problems with the driver or something.

"Michael T" wrote:

> Here's a post (actually a reply) to someone else experiencing reboot
> problems with RoadRunner.
> ******************
> If you don't have an Ethernet card in your computer, get one, they only cost
> $5 after rebate. If you do have an Ethernet card, you're on the way. Lose
> the USB and go in via Ethernet.
> ******************
>

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I first had this problem when I tried to do the first installation. When
> >it
> > would get to the part of the setup in windows mode, it would just keep
> > rebooting. I was able to finally get it to finish installing, and it
> > seemed
> > to be working fine, until I tried to make sure all my drivers,
> > applications,
> > and my cable internet connection were installed. Now when I turn it on it
> > will only run in windows for 30 seconds or less the reboot. it does this
> > continuously.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:35:02 PM

I would seriously consider contacting your ISP (I know - once again - arg).

You could use RoadRunner's Live Chat Support instead of a time consuming
phone call.
http://help.rr.com/HMSLogic/rrmedic_help_topic.aspx

From my Google research this connection (Ethernet) is a far better option
(and usually less problematic) than USB.

>I have one but having problems with the driver or something.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Here's a post (actually a reply) to someone else experiencing reboot
>> problems with RoadRunner.
>> ******************
>> If you don't have an Ethernet card in your computer, get one, they only
>> cost
>> $5 after rebate. If you do have an Ethernet card, you're on the way.
>> Lose
>> the USB and go in via Ethernet.
>> ******************

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:27:20 PM

Now install all the dell drivers that came on CDs. You probably won't have any unknown left after that.

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F2F3D59-C0AB-4B44-9510-678D30815651@microsoft.com...
>I don't have Nero on that computer. Can I troubleshhot without being able to
> get into windows(before windows is installed)?
> Actually, could that be the problem, I just tried to do a clean install,
> that formats the hard drive first, so everything that was on there should be
> gone?
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314464
>>
>> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In the device Manager there are a few unknown devices that have question
>> > mark
>> > icons after them.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:27:21 PM

Can I do that before windows is completely installed? I did use them before,
when I had it working, and it still listed unknown devices.

"David Candy" wrote:

> Now install all the dell drivers that came on CDs. You probably won't have any unknown left after that.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F2F3D59-C0AB-4B44-9510-678D30815651@microsoft.com...
> >I don't have Nero on that computer. Can I troubleshhot without being able to
> > get into windows(before windows is installed)?
> > Actually, could that be the problem, I just tried to do a clean install,
> > that formats the hard drive first, so everything that was on there should be
> > gone?
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in
> >> Windows XP
> >>
> >> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:43:39 PM

What are you installing with? Remove all hardware that did not come with the dell and use your dell restore disk.

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4ECBF98-6E61-4AD0-96DA-DE3BAD69CF10@microsoft.com...
> Can I do that before windows is completely installed? I did use them before,
> when I had it working, and it still listed unknown devices.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Now install all the dell drivers that came on CDs. You probably won't have any unknown left after that.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F2F3D59-C0AB-4B44-9510-678D30815651@microsoft.com...
>> >I don't have Nero on that computer. Can I troubleshhot without being able to
>> > get into windows(before windows is installed)?
>> > Actually, could that be the problem, I just tried to do a clean install,
>> > that formats the hard drive first, so everything that was on there should be
>> > gone?

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:43:40 PM

That is what I've been trying to do. I switch mouse, keyboard, and monitor
between this computer, and the one I am trying to get working. I've been
waiting to be sure eveything will work before I switch everything. Do the
mouse, keyboard, or monitor, have to be dell?

"David Candy" wrote:

> What are you installing with? Remove all hardware that did not come with the dell and use your dell restore disk.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4ECBF98-6E61-4AD0-96DA-DE3BAD69CF10@microsoft.com...
> > Can I do that before windows is completely installed? I did use them before,
> > when I had it working, and it still listed unknown devices.
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Now install all the dell drivers that came on CDs. You probably won't have any unknown left after that.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:35:40 PM

Probably not. But dell would have tested it on the hardware they supplied. For a genuine MS disk one disconnects all hardware but keyboard/mouse/hard drive/CDRom (cos you need these 4 to do anything useful). Install Windows, reconnect hardware, install driver disk.

A lot of hardware is built in to motherboards these days, to disconnect these you enter the BIOS and disable them, then it's like they aren't there.

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB4A743B-002C-4895-B19A-77E19A5DE35F@microsoft.com...
> That is what I've been trying to do. I switch mouse, keyboard, and monitor
> between this computer, and the one I am trying to get working. I've been
> waiting to be sure eveything will work before I switch everything. Do the
> mouse, keyboard, or monitor, have to be dell?
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> What are you installing with? Remove all hardware that did not come with the dell and use your dell restore disk.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4ECBF98-6E61-4AD0-96DA-DE3BAD69CF10@microsoft.com...
>> > Can I do that before windows is completely installed? I did use them before,
>> > when I had it working, and it still listed unknown devices.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:35:41 PM

Okay, I give that a try in the morning, and post back after. Thank you.

"David Candy" wrote:

> Probably not. But dell would have tested it on the hardware they supplied. For a genuine MS disk one disconnects all hardware but keyboard/mouse/hard drive/CDRom (cos you need these 4 to do anything useful). Install Windows, reconnect hardware, install driver disk.
>
> A lot of hardware is built in to motherboards these days, to disconnect these you enter the BIOS and disable them, then it's like they aren't there.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB4A743B-002C-4895-B19A-77E19A5DE35F@microsoft.com...
> > That is what I've been trying to do. I switch mouse, keyboard, and monitor
> > between this computer, and the one I am trying to get working. I've been
> > waiting to be sure eveything will work before I switch everything. Do the
> > mouse, keyboard, or monitor, have to be dell?
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> What are you installing with? Remove all hardware that did not come with the dell and use your dell restore disk.
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:17:03 PM

One other thing? During the end of windos setup, just before it asks about
the date, and time. The screen flashed off, about 3-4 times. It has done
this before, on the good installations I've had, but not the bad ones. I
didn't think to mention it before, is that normal?

"Michael T" wrote:

> I would seriously consider contacting your ISP (I know - once again - arg).
>
> You could use RoadRunner's Live Chat Support instead of a time consuming
> phone call.
> http://help.rr.com/HMSLogic/rrmedic_help_topic.aspx
>
> From my Google research this connection (Ethernet) is a far better option
> (and usually less problematic) than USB.
>

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have one but having problems with the driver or something.
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> Here's a post (actually a reply) to someone else experiencing reboot
> >> problems with RoadRunner.
> >> ******************
> >> If you don't have an Ethernet card in your computer, get one, they only
> >> cost
> >> $5 after rebate. If you do have an Ethernet card, you're on the way.
> >> Lose
> >> the USB and go in via Ethernet.
> >> ******************

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:42:49 AM

> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

If you get this error again it is my understanding that you should use
Recovery Console to replace this file.

Once at the command prompt, type in the following commands:

cd c:\windows\system32

copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"

If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and enter.

If you receive a file not found error, make sure that the path in the copy
command is correct. If it is correct and you still receive the error, then
try the following commands:

cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"

expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32 (use file name sp2.cab if
Service Pack 2 is installed)

Again, if you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y and then enter.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:42:50 AM

You may want to also check out this link as apparently this error can
indicate a corrupted BOOT.INI file.

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>> <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
>
> If you get this error again it is my understanding that you should use
> Recovery Console to replace this file.
>
> Once at the command prompt, type in the following commands:
>
> cd c:\windows\system32
>
> copy "..\driver cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe"
>
> If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and enter.
>
> If you receive a file not found error, make sure that the path in the copy
> command is correct. If it is correct and you still receive the error, then
> try the following commands:
>
> cd "c:\windows\driver cache\i386"
>
> expand sp1.cab -F:ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32 (use file name sp2.cab
> if Service Pack 2 is installed)
>
> Again, if you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y and then enter.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 3:52:19 AM

"daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Also, going back to the unknown devices, earlier. I took a quick look at
> them when I first had window reinstalled again, and this is what it looks
> like,
> -? Other Devices
> ?! Ethernet Controller
>
> ?! MutiMeadia Audio Controller
>
> ?! PCI Input Device
>
> ?! SM Bus Controller
>
> This is basically what it looks like from the device manager.

Sorry, but I cannot offer any more than what is provided in the link I
previously posted about "unknown devices."

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314464

"
How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in
Windows XP"
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:13:35 AM

> One other thing? During the end of Windows setup, just before it asks
> about
> the date, and time. The screen flashed off, about 3-4 times. It has done
> this before, on the good installations I've had, but not the bad ones. I
> didn't think to mention it before, is that normal?

It has been awhile since I installed XP, but I believe this is normal.

By the way, has XP ever been up long enough in either Normal Mode, or Safe
Mode, to scan for viruses?

Finally, here in San Diego there people on craigslist.com that will make a
house call for as little as $35/Hr.

Do you happen to live in one of those cities with access to craigslist.com?
If not, there is always the ol' Yellow Pages - right? This option might be
preferable to resorting to a reformat and a reinstallation of Windows XP.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:13:36 AM

Actually I had it up and working one time long enough, but I hadn't gotten to
installing my antivirus software yet. I haven't had this computer hooked to
the internet yet, and hard drives I have formatted a couple times, could it
have a virus?

"Michael T" wrote:

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One other thing? During the end of Windows setup, just before it asks
> > about
> > the date, and time. The screen flashed off, about 3-4 times. It has done
> > this before, on the good installations I've had, but not the bad ones. I
> > didn't think to mention it before, is that normal?
> >

> It has been awhile since I installed XP, but I believe this is normal.
>
> By the way, has XP ever been up long enough in either Normal Mode, or Safe
> Mode, to scan for viruses?
>
> Finally, here in San Diego there people on craigslist.com that will make a
> house call for as little as $35/Hr.
>
> Do you happen to live in one of those cities with access to craigslist.com?
> If not, there is always the ol' Yellow Pages - right? This option might be
> preferable to resorting to a reformat and a reinstallation of Windows XP.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:14:21 PM

> Actually I had it up and working one time long enough, but I hadn't gotten
> installing my antivirus software yet. I haven't had this computer hooked
> the internet yet, and hard drives I have formatted a couple times, could
> it
> have a virus?

Good point, as a virus seems very unlikely.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:12:01 PM

A quick question. When I install anything that requires my computer to
reboot to finish, do I need to unplug everything, or would that even make a
difference?

"Michael T" wrote:

> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I had it up and working one time long enough, but I hadn't gotten
> > installing my antivirus software yet. I haven't had this computer hooked
> > the internet yet, and hard drives I have formatted a couple times, could
> > it
> > have a virus?
> >

> Good point, as a virus seems very unlikely.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:12:49 PM

Still fighting this eh?

What's it been - 16 days now? My oh my.

Perhaps you should start a new thread as many are likely to miss your
posts - including myself.

Anyway you should not 'normally' have to unplug anything, but given all your
problems I would consider unplugging everything that is not essential to
booting (e.g. the mouse and monitor.)

Of course if you ever got that Ethernet card working I would disconnect the
cable until you solved your boot problem.

Good luck.

>A quick question. When I install anything that requires my computer to
> reboot to finish, do I need to unplug everything, or would that even make
> difference?
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> "daddyzaring" <daddyzaring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Actually I had it up and working one time long enough, but I hadn't
>> > gotten
>> > installing my antivirus software yet. I haven't had this computer
>> > hooked
>> > the internet yet, and hard drives I have formatted a couple times,
>> > could
>> > it
>> > have a virus?
>> >

>> Good point, as a virus seems very unlikely.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:57:13 PM

Let me rephrase that.

If you have reached a point where your PC is booting OK then the answer is
NO.

!