Framerate Really Low?

jwmcvety

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2005
I recently picked up a BFG 6800 GT (AGP) for my system, replacing the ATI 9700 I had been using the past three or four years. I ran the demo1 test for Doom 3 and came up with substantially lower numbers than those found during Tom's testing (http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-02.html#enthusiast_high_quality)

The pc I'm running is similar if not a bit better than Tom's test system (2.6GHz P4HT w/ 800MHz FSB) and I'm getting 45-50 fps, vs. the 72 they were getting at 10x7.

I do have the latest Nvidia drivers, got them last night from their site. Any obvious I should be looking at? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
excellent choice of agp silicon indeed for the price/perf/oc's...but you need to flush your system(pun NOT intended)using driver cleaner first...also, i did find the 71.25s to be magical with doom before i retired the old faithful.

They optimize their systems before running those benchmarks. You probably have a lot of processes running, maybe some spyware/adware, etc...

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
not to mention you may not be running it in the same graphics modes.

ensure you've got the exact same settings they do for simliar comparisons

good point

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Im basing logic here when you mentioned Doom 3 and you had a RADEON 9700pro. Im not certain if you have modded Doom 3 already to optimize it for the Radeon then it will run like crap on NVIDIA cards for they are not good at variables. A clean reinstall of DOOM 3 would resolve that.

Otherwise, you still need to dump your rig when changing out VGA cards.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

jwmcvety

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2005
*sigh* Well, I've wiped the OS, deleted the Doom 3 folder where it resided. Re-installed everything, including the latest Nvidia drivers and Doom 3 version and the fps is coming in at a whopping 51. I believe I'm running the same test as Tom's did (1024x768, high quality, no FSAA) and they're getting 72. I don't get it. Is the cpu making that much of a difference? They ran the test on a 3.2P4, I'm running a 2.6. Both systems have a 1 gig of RAM. Man...

dhlucke

Polypheme
I can't remember if Doom3 is CPU dependent. You might have answered your own question.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

dhlucke

Polypheme
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/doom3-cpu.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/doom3-cpu.html</A>

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny