Control Panel Won't Open

I get the following error on xp pro with all updates.

When I click on Control Panel I receive an error message saying "Windows
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." I am offered to
"Please tell Microsoft about this problem" Send or Don't Send

I know of seeing a post asking this same question a few months ago, so
if anyone has a solution . Would be greatly appreciated
3 answers Last reply
More about control panel open

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message news:84qwe.60$vv5.1801@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
    >I get the following error on xp pro with all updates.
    >
    > When I click on Control Panel I receive an error message saying "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." I
    > am offered to "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" Send or Don't Send
    >
    > I know of seeing a post asking this same question a few months ago, so if anyone has a solution . Would be greatly appreciated

    I have the same problem. I tried what you said, but it doesn't help. It
    doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I also get a pop up about Dr.
    Watson Postmortem Debugger.. It says that it has encountered a problem and
    needs to close. Sometimes my computer freezes at that point, but if I go
    into task manager it says that Control Panel has stopped. I'll stop the
    task, and the pc is fine.

    Other than that, my pc is working like a charm. :-(

    Helen

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for Windows Antispy
    > "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    >>I get the following error on xp pro with all updates.
    >>
    >> When I click on Control Panel I receive an error message saying "Windows
    >> Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." I am offered to
    >> "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" Send or Don't Send
    >>
    >> I know of seeing a post asking this same question a few months ago, so if
    >> anyone has a solution . Would be greatly appreciated

    It's either a corrupt driver, or a virus/spyware issue. Or, you might try a Repair setup.\
    \
    875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
    Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Gaga6" <hel3ngaga6hwNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message news:uZs15$LfFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >I have the same problem. I tried what you said, but it doesn't help. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I also get
    >a pop up about Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger.. It says that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sometimes my
    >computer freezes at that point, but if I go into task manager it says that Control Panel has stopped. I'll stop the task, and the
    >pc is fine.
    >
    > Other than that, my pc is working like a charm. :-(
    >
    > Helen
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%238Ncw$KfFHA.2840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message news:84qwe.60$vv5.1801@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
    >>>I get the following error on xp pro with all updates.
    >>>
    >>> When I click on Control Panel I receive an error message saying "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close."
    >>> I am offered to "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" Send or Don't Send
    >>>
    >>> I know of seeing a post asking this same question a few months ago, so if anyone has a solution . Would be greatly appreciated

Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP