mattybou

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2005
Hello all, I'm posting on here because I'm in need of help with installation of my graphics card. I purchased a PCI-E Geforce 6600 GT this summer from Asus, and upon installation all I would get is a black screen on my monitor when hooking up the monitor cord. I could see the fan moving on the card as well so I believe it was on. But it still wouldn't work so I returned it to Newegg. The computer did not recognize the card as being installed.

Now, I'm going to Best Buy to get another 6600 GT. I noticed on the last one that there was a slot type thing on the top of the card when it was mounted in the computer, and I was wondering if this was for anothe power cord or something? Becuase I didn't hook anything up to the card this summer when I had it, I just installed it in the PCI-E slot.

Now, do I need to buy a special cord? Or what am I doing wrong? Please HELP!!! I really want to play my computer games!!!!

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
*blink*

ya. virtually all video cards these days requires an additional power source.

most AGP cards will need either 1 or 2 of the molex power cables from your powersupply. and most PCI-E cards will require at least 1 PEG power source. most Powersupplies these days have 1 PEG power source, but a lot of video cards will come with a Y adapter that will allow you to plug in two Molex Cables instead

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, the slot thing is for operating the card with another card in SLI mode. 6600GT doesn't need added power.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>