Best modern RPG?

What's the best modern RPG for the PC? Video quality, gameplay, immersion, replayability, user interface are all important...

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

<i><font color=purple><b>Morrowind</b></font color=purple></i>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
Ditto for Morrowind, although it's sequel ("Oblivion")should be out soon, and it looks to die for.
Both of these games are limited to single player, though.

There's a big following for Neverwinter nights, which is great if you're a D&D fan and like the idea that's it's capable of allowing human dungeonmasters to control a multiplayer server in realtime, adding monsters and speaking for NPCs.
There are some decent single player modules for it too. The graphic engine is a bit dated, still looks OK but nothing special.
There's a sequel coming out for that too, but won't be here for a while, at least I haven't heard any news about it lately.

Also deserving of honorable mention is Knights of the Old Republic, one of the best narratives in an RPG ever, but not much replayability there.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
You really should check our Dungeon Siege 2. Its very addictive, has good graphics, and not hard to play.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Truly give NWN a try... I ordered a 3rd copy of the Platinum version off of ebay last spring for like $15 shipped... I play online now with three computers from my house... but the single-player is quite good for RPG... much better story and character development than DS2...

DS2 is not as good as the origional DS in my opinion, but I just started playing it... it seems to be WAY more of a Diablo 2 clone than the first, and the first was a clone as well...

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/MBarton 2500+
210x11.5 1.82v SP-97
GB Corsair XMS PC3200
BBA 9800 Pro 423/369</font color=red><font color=black>
NF7-S/MBarton 2600+
210x11.5 1.76v
512MB CVR PC3200
Sapphire 9500@9700

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
KOTOR and NWN as people mentioned and Fable came out recently to PC, it rocks as well.

Morrowind sucks ass *hides*

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Both of these games are limited to single player, though.
Yep, only drawback for me.

And when you add the textures upgrades and truform, and then all the various mods and user created quests, lands, etc, it's just great.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

I've played the Elder Scrolls, but I never really hit up the mods. I guess I need to revisit. I loved the graphics at the time, so I can imagine the mods did great things. I completed the game, but never found the replayability - what did I miss?! What do I need to look at to reviltalize that flame. Links? Downloads?

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

I've been thru all BG, Icewind Dale, BGII and NWN. Liked NWN, but never found the online community to sustain the play. I've read about the sequel and I'm looking forward to it, but that seems to be a bit down the road. :frown:
Never played KOTOR, but I may have to give it a shot, too.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

and Fable came out recently to PC, it rocks as well.
And you say Morrowind sux? C'mon I own Fable for the Xbox it was a 20-25 hour game, and according to Xplay the PC version has one extra island for another 20% of play time. That's really a HUGE dissapointment, especially compared to the huge wide-open play of Morrowind and it's expansion packs, even the Xbox version of Morrowind was 50+ hours, and the PC version can give you easily 100+ for each pack.

Anywhoo, I don't expect everyone to like it, but nothing else has the same level of features when it came out IMO.

It was also the first game to show the advantages of PS1.4 (admittedly minor) with rain/water effects, etc.

I doubt Oblivion will be as 'special' but I hope I'm wrong, Morrwind certainly surprised the heck out of me.

What do I need to look at to reviltalize that flame. Links? Downloads?
Go to ElderScrolls.com their forum has a ton of stuff, and they have direct links to Bethesda made and user-mader mods.

Most fun user add-on is the Castlevania quest which is a scale representation of the classic game.

Edit;
Also worthwhile the character enhancement mod which basically is like taking all the characters and putting them on the make-over show 'The Swan' :lol:

The foliage mod does a wicked job on the trees and basically adds grass.

I guess I'm trying to make the decision - EQ2, WoW or go to some more oldschool like Morrowind or NWN. Not enough time for working on the house (D@MN KATRINA), fishing, all the games I want to play and posting here! :eek: I'm gonna have to cut back in some areas. I haven't gamed in a while, so I guess that I could just not start up that blackhole for time...but I'm getting the itch to go thru a game.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Neverwinter Nights hands down. I just wish they'd update the graphics.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

I haven't gamed in a while,
Yeah I hear ya' man, I post this while watching TV.

LOL, my level of multi-tasking, get this, I have the McLaughlin Group in the PIP window (audio), and the Oilers - Stars hockey game on the big screen (no audio). If I didn't do that and post while working, I'd probably have no time to post here.

I am struggling to finish the last 1/3-1/4 of D3 I haven't completed, just to get it done, and I bought that day 1! :eek:

LOL! Work does provide me some opportunities for posting too. Too many things to do in such a short period of time! I've been trying to lay flooring since I got off of work. First time for me with this swiftlock wood flooring, so it's been to Lowes and back a few times for tools. About at the spot that I can make some steady progress, though.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

Yeah wait 'til you get to those last pieces, that's when it gets fun. :lol:

I think we all could use another 4 hours in the day, and not 4 more hours to work!

Funny we play NHL2K6 at workon the Xbox and that gets my gaming fix, and occasionally we have good days like today (a bunch of us took a long lunch and went smoking cigars by the riverside. I had a nice Cohiba Siglo Grand Corona, which was a bit dry, but awefuly nice. :smile:

In fact today was a good day. :cool:

dhlucke

Polypheme
You lucky bastards. I have been working at work all week!

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

Work is for the inefficient! :evil:

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

I'm hoping tomorrow will be more like one of those days...put a few trout in the boat, drink a few beers and just relax.

It's more likely that I'll be laying more floor.... :frown:

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Longer game = Better game? I think not.

Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Length being good or bad has a relationship with how good the game is:
Good game, then longer is better
Bad game, then longer is bad.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Indeed but generally the better games are somewhat short and sweet with good replayability.

knownalien

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
definitely Morrowind. The mods that have been done for it? awesome! And when Oblivion comes out, I think it will be king of the hill for some time.

K8T NeoFIS2R
Athlon 64bit 3400
2X1024 OCZ DDR400
Maxtor 40, 120
Western Digital Raptor 74 Gig
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
NEC LCD Monitor 1760NX
Antec Tru Power 550
Windows XP